The Student Room Group

Could someone please check my maths working out?

hi please could somebody check my answers and help me on question 8a 8b, 10a, 11 a, 11b 11c 11d and 12a 12b

Thank you
seems all correct to me (well all of what's there)
Reply 2
Original post by hukdealz
seems all correct to me (well all of what's there)

lol
Reply 5
Original post by kandykissesxox

You've done some questions wrong. 2a, 2b, 3b, 5a, 5b, 6a - you forgot the minus sign- and I don't think you did the second part of q6 :smile:

I'll look at the rest and try to help you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not bothered reading it all, but looking at 1b, if an = 100 and a = -8 then n would be something completely different, not 37. The answer is right, but you seem to have confused a and d a few times then somehow it's worked out ok, or your 'a's and 'd's look too similar
Original post by Wahrheit
Not bothered reading it all, but looking at 1b, if an = 100 and a = -8 then n would be something completely different, not 37. The answer is right, but you seem to have confused a and d a few times then somehow it's worked out ok, or your 'a's and 'd's look too similar

sorry about that, yes my a's and d's are similar.
Original post by TIATA
You've done some questions wrong. 2a, 2b, 3b, 5a, 5b, 6a - you forgot the minus sign- and I don't think you did the second part of q6 :smile:

I'll look at the rest and try to help you.

Ok thank you!
sorry about that, yes my a's and d's are similar.

Ah ok no probs, my 'x' and 'n' look identical lol
Reply 10
hi please could somebody check my answers and help me on question 8a 8b, 10a, 11 a, 11b 11c 11d and 12a 12b

Thank you

:colone:
Reply 11

Thank you

I'll give you an A for effort!
Reply 12
Ok thank you!

For 8a, you can set up sim equations.

you now the formula for the nth term, and that a = 4x - 5, so use it with n=2 and n= 3 to set up two equations.

8b is simple once you know what x is.

For 10b, you can complete the square :smile:
Original post by TIATA
For 8a, you can set up sim equations.

you now the formula for the nth term, and that a = 4x - 5, so use it with n=2 and n= 3 to set up two equations.

8b is simple once you know what x is.

For 10b, you can complete the square :smile:

i spent half an hour on 10b:frown: I tried the quad equation and completing the square. I could not do it, which is really frustrating
Reply 14
i spent half an hour on 10b:frown: I tried the quad equation and completing the square. I could not do it, which is really frustrating

You know Sn = 444, a = 4, and d = 6.

n/2[24+(n1)6]=444n/2 [2 * 4 + (n-1)6] = 444

mutiply both sides by 2 and expand the left hand side.

8n+6n26n=8888n + 6n^2 - 6n = 888

Simplify the left hand side and divide everything by 6.

n2+1/3n=148n^2 + 1/3n = 148

complete the square and you get n=12n = 12 as one of your solutions.

Quick Reply

Latest