The Student Room Group

The "Should I mention" topic

Well, the title say it all.
I am not sure that if I should or should not mention my situation in my personal statement. I moved to UK 7 years ago and I did not know any English at all when move here. I started in year 9 at the extremely worst high school and I did not learn anything from that year. And then, I moved to other high school, this school is better than the last school but it still one of the worst school in the county. Especially in science department, we used to get sub for the whole year 11 and it very hard for me to be independent learner (guess at that time, I am not mature enough). Without any mentor or guide, I ended up with 5gcses just enough for me to go to college studying maths (am 'quite' good with maths). That is my high school life.

Studying maths and further maths at college, I know am really good with maths but the result last year quite disappointing, with B and E. This year, I trying harder and within 5 weeks am already 80% finish A2 maths content. And am planning to do FP3 and STEP 1 as an extra unit along with further maths( FP2, S2, M2) (already done 30,40%). I known I put myself in the worst situation to apply for competitive uni, but I know A*/A is achievable and I sure I can achieve that. So I am not sure that is the appropriate things to put on my personal statement or I should not mention at all. Am planning to apply for:
Mans Uni- Science with integrated
York - Physics with foundation
Ed- Maths
Your referee should be the one to mention about your situation and anything negative
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
Your referee should be the one to mention about your situation and anything negative

Agree with this.

Your personal statement shouldn't come across as a justification for your past or making excuses. If you get an interview and they ask that is when you should tell them the truth but you should also have a prepared response to ensure you don't sound like someone just making excuses.

I have found most university departments are quite fair when it comes to things like this and realise that people mature as they get older. You should focus on ensuring you passionately put across why you want to study the subject you do and why you feel you are now ready to go to university. Think positively about it as opposed to negatively. Anything negative in your personal statement will be taken in a negative manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending