The Student Room Group

Scholarships?

Hey peeps,

I was wondering if any UK organisation offered scholarships or funds to low income but bright pupils?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most universities will offer non-repayable bursaries to students from low income households. Each uni sets its own eligibility criteria and funding levels, so you'd need to check individual uni websites. However, eligibility is usually assessed on the information about parental income that you supply to Student Finance.

You can also find some unis offering scholarships for academic excellence, but these can be competitive.
Original post by Klix88
Most universities will offer non-repayable bursaries to students from low income households. Each uni sets its own eligibility criteria and funding levels, so you'd need to check individual uni websites. However, eligibility is usually assessed on the information about parental income that you supply to Student Finance.

You can also find some unis offering scholarships for academic excellence, but these can be competitive.

Thanks for the info, but are there organisations like the Sutton Trust which like pay for your tution fees are such?
My uni gives academic, music and sport scholarships. I get free music lessons which I think is amazing because I didn't know about the scholarship and was going to stop lessons!
Original post by UnknownDude
Thanks for the info, but are there organisations like the Sutton Trust which like pay for your tution fees are such?

I'm not sure if there are any organisations that actually pay off your tuition fees directly...

But as the above post mentioned, various unis have various different schemes for bursaries and such
Original post by 2007PSanHa
My uni gives academic, music and sport scholarships. I get free music lessons which I think is amazing because I didn't know about the scholarship and was going to stop lessons!

Acedemic scholarships? Fill me in.

Original post by R Dragon
I'm not sure if there are any organisations that actually pay off your tuition fees directly...

But as the above post mentioned, various unis have various different schemes for bursaries and such

Hmm.. Might need to make some friends with rich people..
Reply 6

Not in the UK for UK students, as tuition fees are covered by the Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan. Everyone who meets basic eligibility criteria such as UK residence, is guaranteed a Tuition Fee Loan which covers all of the undergrad fees.

Along with the Maintenance Loan, this only becomes repayable after you graduate and once you are earning over £21,000pa. Small deductions are made from your pay, and as your wages increase so do your repayments. The idea is that you only start repaying when you can afford to do so.

If you're from a low income household, you can get a larger Maintenance Loan and also a non-repayable Maintenance Grant.
Original post by Klix88
Not in the UK for UK students, as tuition fees are covered by the Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan. Everyone who meets basic eligibility criteria such as UK residence, is guaranteed a Tuition Fee Loan which covers all of the undergrad fees.

Along with the Maintenance Loan, this only becomes repayable after you graduate and once you are earning over £21,000pa. Small deductions are made from your pay, and as your wages increase so do your repayments. The idea is that you only start repaying when you can afford to do so.

If you're from a low income household, you can get a larger Maintenance Loan and also a non-repayable Maintenance Grant.

Oh, thanks again. So, there is 100% no we-pay-everything organistions in the UK for British Citizens that are very smart (8+ A*s, As in GCSE and all A*s in A-Level) that have families on low-income that will pay everything for you?
Acedemic scholarships?

Why's that? You won't have to pay tuition fees until your earnings are above a certain threshold
Why's that? You won't have to pay tuition fees until your earnings are above a certain threshold

Obviously someone who has left a top university will obviously earn above that threshold. I mean whats the point of university if you don't.
Reply 10
Oh, thanks again. So, there is 100% no we-pay-everything organistions in the UK for British Citizens that are very smart (8+ A*s, As in GCSE and all A*s in A-Level) that have families on low-income that will pay everything for you?

Not that I've heard of - that's the sort of thing which would've been highly publicised if it did exist. Many Muslim students feel that they can't take interest-bearing loans and at the moment, they miss out on uni unless they have access to family funding. If a scholarship existed such as the one you outline, it could potentially solve that problem, which would make it very well-known.

Things like The Sutton Trust exist for US unis as they don't have a centralised State funding system for university study.
Original post by Klix88
Not that I've heard of - that's the sort of thing which would've been highly publicised if it did exist. Many Muslim students feel that they can't take interest-bearing loans and at the moment, they miss out on uni unless they have access to family funding. If a scholarship existed such as the one you outline, it could potentially solve that problem, which would make it very well-known.

Things like The Sutton Trust exist for US unis as they don't have a centralised State funding system for university study.

Lol, how'd you know I'm Muslim:rolleyes:? Oh from my profile... Anyways.. THANKS ALOT for the info. You've helped me alot and put all my doubts away.. I'll definetly go to university but I'll continue to look for ways where I can get a loan without interest. I'm in year 12 and I'm so curious. I know you're thinking: "WHY THE HELL IS THIS GUY WORRYING ABOUT THIS NOW?":confused::eek::s-smilie:.. but like I like to do research and know things in advance. Thanks anyways!
Reply 12
Lol, how'd you know I'm Muslim:rolleyes:? Oh from my profile... Anyways.. THANKS ALOT for the info. You've helped me alot and put all my doubts away.. I'll definetly go to university but I'll continue to look for ways where I can get a loan without interest. I'm in year 12 and I'm so curious. I know you're thinking: "WHY THE HELL IS THIS GUY WORRYING ABOUT THIS NOW?":confused::eek::s-smilie:.. but like I like to do research and know things in advance. Thanks anyways!

Sorry, I had no idea you were Muslim and I didn't look at your profile. The issue is raised in this section of TSR occasionally, so it's not the first time the question has been asked. The government had been looking at ways of providing student funding which conforms to the required principles, but nothing's come of it yet:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/sharia-compliant-student-finance

Forward planning is useful, but don't worry about the future so much that it distracts you from what you're currently doing. Remember that you don't *have* to go to uni immediately after school. You can always work for a few years, save some money and go later.

Best of luck with your future.
Original post by Klix88
Sorry, I had no idea you were Muslim and I didn't look at your profile. The issue is raised in this section of TSR occasionally, so it's not the first time the question has been asked. The government had been looking at ways of providing student funding which conforms to the required principles, but nothing's come of it yet:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/sharia-compliant-student-finance

Forward planning is useful, but don't worry about the future so much that it distracts you from what you're currently doing. Remember that you don't *have* to go to uni immediately after school. You can always work for a few years, save some money and go later.

Best of luck with your future.

Thanks but I've decided since birth that I am going to university as soon as I finish my two years of A-Level. But thanks anyways!
Cant't remember whether it was for AAB or ABB but you get between £1,000-£3,000!
Acedemic scholarships? Fill me in.

Correct
Obviously someone who has left a top university will obviously earn above that threshold. I mean whats the point of university if you don't.

Wait, what's wrong with paying off the debt once you earn enough?

Just fyi not everyone who graduates from a "top" university is able to find a job which pays above that threshold. Not everyone goes to uni to make money, ultimately some go purely for the joy of education, some go to experience new things and so forth; these are all valid reasons for attending uni
Wait, what's wrong with paying off the debt once you earn enough?

Just fyi not everyone who graduates from a "top" university is able to find a job which pays above that threshold. Not everyone goes to uni to make money, ultimately some go purely for the joy of education, some go to experience new things and so forth; these are all valid reasons for attending uni

Oh it's just that it's against Sharia law (Islamic Law) to pay or take interest. Just religious matters... nothing that kills anyone...>_>

Anyways... lol, why go to a top university, just to live off benefits... must be a classic civilisation student.. :rolleyes::biggrin:
Oh it's just that it's against Sharia law (Islamic Law) to pay or take interest. Just religious matters... nothing that kills anyone...>_>

Anyways... lol, why go to a top university, just to live off benefits... must be a classic civilisation student.. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Well then my friend it appears we were in similar shoes. I'm quite the traditional muslim, but I come from a low financial background, but I got a place to study dentistry starting september, last month.

I was really torn on what to do as taking interest, or participating in something that involves interest is haram. But I talked to my mum and since it's the only option, it's what I've opted to do.

On another note, that's a very bigoted thing to say dude. First you essential criticise people who don't go to "top unis" and now you denote that classics students live off benefits ._.

Since you believe in Sharia law so much, you ought to think about showing respect to people and appearing less arrogant for a start
how about if you have an illness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending