The Student Room Group

Protein structure question (AS Biology)

Can anyone help with this question?

Explain how a change in the primary structure of a globular protein may result in a different three-dimensional structure. (3 marks)

I thought that maybe it's something to do with the bonds being in different locations making a different shape but I'm not too sure..
Original post by AlexeiLipov
Can anyone help with this question?

Explain how a change in the primary structure of a globular protein may result in a different three-dimensional structure. (3 marks)

I thought that maybe it's something to do with the bonds being in different locations making a different shape but I'm not too sure..

Changing the primary structure would be changing the sequence of Amino Acids, if the sequence is changed, the whole proteins changes.
Reply 2
the sequence of amino acids is the primary structure, a diffrent primary structure means it folds differently due to different bonds being formed hence different secondary structures are formed ( beta-pleated sheets, alpha helixes), and just generally tertiary structure is the overall structure of the protein which completely depends on how the chain is folded (and how it's folded depends on primary structure because of different bonds)
Reply 3
Original post by So Fetch
Changing the primary structure would be changing the sequence of Amino Acids, if the sequence is changed, the whole proteins changes.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply 4
Original post by louieee
the sequence of amino acids is the primary structure, a diffrent primary structure means it folds differently due to different bonds being formed hence different secondary structures are formed ( beta-pleated sheets, alpha helixes), and just generally tertiary structure is the overall structure of the protein which completely depends on how the chain is folded (and how it's folded depends on primary structure because of different bonds)

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest