The Student Room Group

what should i pick help !

I am in year 11 and need to apply to a college
I want to do
1.biology
2.chemistry
3.ict A level
4.????:confused::frown:::confused::confused::confused:
I am not sure, what to do as my 4th option, I hate maths and physics so what else can I do that will go well with that?

Do you know what options you can do? There are some subjects that overlap; so you wouldn't be able to do them.
Reply 2
I don't know what I can do yet as I have not actually applied to a college, they have just told us to pick 4 and apply.
Reply 3
maths or physics
General studies psychology is bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you thought about geography?
Look at what your local sixth forms/colleges offer. There's no point in setting your heart on Extended BTEC Diploma in Basket Weaving or whatever if you can't take it at any college near you.
Reply 8
maths will open the most doors.
Definitely don't do IT A level, it is hard work and completely useless for any degree. I would definitely swap that for another subject. Furthermore, unis actually see as it as an undesirable subject!
Do a subjects which would keep other doors open. For example English Literature keeps open carriers in law, journalism, politics, marketing and media. English Language is also another good one. If you can do a creative subject such as Art, Drama, Music, D&T, Dance or Media/Film Studies, you may enjoy them and also universities like creative subjects which show your a well rounded person.
I don't really know, I am in year 11 at the moment too, but I would advise english literature or maths as they are "facilitating subjects" and unis prefer them, and also they will open up more courses :wink: (fyi, taking biology chenistry and maths but unsure of my last, either english lit, psychology or geography :wink: )
Reply 13
I want to do ICT a level because I like computers and want to learn coding and English and maths I will flop lol, what is physiology,economics and general studies about? Which one of these 3 is best for university?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by am99
I want to do ICT a level because I like computers and want to learn coding and English and maths I will flop lol, what is physiology,economics and general studies about? Which one of these 3 is best for university?

ICT A level is not what you think - If you like coding, you will want to do Computing A level which is very different. That woukld involve more coding.

GENERAL STUDIES - usesless and pointless
Physiology - useless soft subject
Economics - Interesting and well regarded, I would recommend it
Original post by am99

General studies is not really the best choice for university. If you go on most unis websites, the offers generally say excluding general studies - some do accept it but a lot don't :smile:
If you don't enjoy maths I'm not sure if you would enjoy economics? Put very simply I would say it's a mix of maths and business. It is a well regarded subject like the post above mentioned :smile:
I wouldn't know for sure but @groovyd97 sounds like they know better, as far as I'm aware ICT doesn't really cover coding. And from what they say and my thoughts would be that computing would cover it more. But if that isn't an option I'm sure you'll still enjoy ICT alevel :smile:
Do you have any idea what you would like to do at uni? Because depending on that you could do an unrelated subject. It wouldn't have to go if chem, bio and ICT are related to your course :smile:
If that's the case you could go for more traditional subjects like history or geography, or even RS or psychology. But on the other hand you could go more creative if that's what you like such as Art, or any tech, or drama or music :smile: Langages are also a good choice. But it's really hard to say any one subject since I don't really know what you like (apart from not math, physics and english) and whether or not you need a deemingly 'good' subject or whether actually arts is a route you want to go?
Sorry for the waffly post! Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 16
I want to study medicine probably at queen Mary so I need to do biology and chemistry and Two other a levels.

Does this sound good then
Biology
Chemistry
Computing a level
Physiology/economics (not sure what's better/easier)

Also what type of coding do you learn in computing as as I might drop it in the second year and focus on bio and chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest