The Student Room Group

Proving subring S=mZ

Let S be a subring of the integers Z. Prove that S=mZ={mx|x is an integer} for some m€lNu{0}.

I have had a go. Can someone tell me if I am lacking justification or if I have done a mistake please.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
Let S be a subring of the integers Z. Prove that S=mZ={mx|x is an integer} for some m€lNu{0}.

I have had a go. Can someone tell me if I am lacking justification or if I have done a mistake please.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks fine to me. (The question is pretty much "prove that Z is a principal ideal domain", by the way, if you recognise those terms. Don't worry if not.)
Original post by Smaug123
Looks fine to me. (The question is pretty much "prove that Z is a principal ideal domain", by the way, if you recognise those terms. Don't worry if not.)

Can I just ask why is the penultimate line true? I was just told to include that in the answer but I didnt understand.
Can I just ask why is the penultimate line true? I was just told to include that in the answer but I didnt understand.

It's entirely equivalent to the following, which I would consider more natural:

"WLOG a > 0. Indeed, if it were not, continue with -a instead, since -a is in the subring by additive closure."
Original post by Smaug123
It's entirely equivalent to the following, which I would consider more natural:

"WLOG a > 0. Indeed, if it were not, continue with -a instead, since -a is in the subring by additive closure."

I think I got it. But what does WLOG mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I got it. But what does WLOG mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Without loss of generality.

Quick Reply

Latest