The Student Room Group

Who finds maths tedious

Is anyone doing c3 and thinking why!!! Trig identities???
Maths is so like abstract, just formulae and equations, no actual information or text, just do this or do that... Anyone feeling me...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ttaylor17
Maths is so like abstract, just formulae and equations, no actual information or text, just do this or do that... Anyone feeling me...

No. Maths is beautiful.There are 2 types of people in the world. Those who enjoy maths, and those who don't know that they enjoy maths.

Not sure this is going to get a particularly rousing reception in the Maths Forum.
Reply 3
Original post by AG Singh
No. Maths is beautiful.There are 2 types of people in the world. Those who enjoy maths, and those who don't know that they enjoy maths.

I enjoy it... But...
I enjoyed pure maths just because I found solving things like that relaxing... but I've just started a chemistry degree and it's already very clear that all the stuff you do in A-level maths has actual real life applications.
The problem is that pure maths isn't a pre-requisite for Physics and Chemistry A-levels so a lot of the calculations in those subjects are very much watered down, but once you get into the real thing, you find that A-level maths and beyond is absolutely essential.
It might feel abstract at the moment but everything you study at A-level has real world applications, it's just not too obvious unless you go on to study something Maths-based at university.
Reply 6

Go study Philosophy then :colonhash:
Reply 7
But really chemistry and physics don't require much more than GCSE maths, or any other non maths a level for that matter, right?
Reply 8
Original post by AlphaMolecule
only when it takes ages and is boring, like S1 calculating the mean

I think s1 may have damaged my brain permanently

In my opinion, maths is the most beautiful subject. These seemingly separate disciplines linking together is something great. For instance, using matrices to solve simultaneous equations.
But really chemistry and physics don't require much more than GCSE maths, or any other non maths a level for that matter, right?

At A-level maybe but 'real' Chemistry and Physics definitely require a lot more than GCSE and A-level Maths.

At A-level, you can get by on GCSE maths.
At degree level, you need Further Maths and beyond.

We've just started Thermodynamics and its already full of exact and inexact differentials, partial derivatives, path integrals and other things I'm going to have to spend some time getting my head around and remembering.
Reply 12
Original post by TheWiseSalmon

We've just started Thermodynamics and its already full of exact and inexact differentials, partial derivatives, path integrals and other things I'm going to have to spend some time getting my head around and remembering.

Haha... Im not even going to ask
Reply 13
Original post by Gax
Go study Philosophy then :colonhash:

Hmmm maybe I should
Reply 14

I certainly don't but I do not hold it against you. You have noticed by the way this is a maths forum ...

I study maths at uni, and I agree with you. I find C3 boring. There is so much more out there; A-level maths is necessary groundwork for later study in pretty much every STEM subject. It's like learning to spell, as a necessary prerequisite before learning to write a novel.

(Disclaimer: I'm a pure mathematician, and pure maths is barely touched at A-level.)

ETA: in case it wasn't clear, I absolutely love maths. Just not A-level maths.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ha! Wait until you see the trig in C4 :biggrin:

But on a serious note, try www.examsolutions.net and watch other videos, people have different styles to deal with trig, and they may help you become more accustomed to it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by R Dragon
Ha! Wait until you see the trig in C4 :biggrin:

But on a serious note, try www.examsolutions.net and watch other videos, people have different styles to deal with trig, and they may help you become more accustomed to it :smile:

Yeah tried him but prefer maths247 who now has a new name ukmathsteacher or something like that... But thank you for the advice
I hate maths, English all the way!

I dont know about you but maths is actually interesting and gets you to think deeply. I guess people are different:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest