The Student Room Group

A bit of help needed.

Hello all, I am about to choose my a levels and I want to pursue an economics degree at Oxbridge In the future. which of these subject combinations are best for this. Maths/history/geography/economics. Maths/economics/history/physics. Maths/economics/history/government & politics.

Many thanks.
I'm doing Law, Economics and Gov+Pol at the moment for AS Level - Economics and Politics are seeming to work really well together, especially macroeconomics, so politics may be helpful with a bit of background to economics. Geography is also good, so maybe joint first with politics. And finally physics.

I'd do:
1) Politics (good spread and balance of subjects)
2) Geography (a lot of heavy humanities and heavy sciences (politics being a light humanity))
3) Physics (a huge amount of heavy sciences).

Either would probably be absolutely fine, but politics is good as it complements a lot of things and is just really good for general life.
Reply 2
Original post by The Legal Eagle
I'm doing Law, Economics and Gov+Pol at the moment for AS Level - Economics and Politics are seeming to work really well together, especially macroeconomics, so politics may be helpful with a bit of background to economics. Geography is also good, so maybe joint first with politics. And finally physics.

I'd do:
1) Politics (good spread and balance of subjects)
2) Geography (a lot of heavy humanities and heavy sciences (politics being a light humanity))
3) Physics (a huge amount of heavy sciences).

Either would probably be absolutely fine, but politics is good as it complements a lot of things and is just really good for general life.

Thanks, though isn't politics seen as a 'week subject'
Reply 3
Original post by SSpringer20

Weak

It isn't seen as the strongest of subjects available, but neither is Economics - both are 'level 2' subjects. Level 2 being Economics, Politics, English Lang, Creative Writing and a few others of which I forget. But level 1 are History, Sciences, English Lit, Maths, Geography and the other typical subjects.

I'd say politics as it broadens your horizons. Are you doing 4 AS levels, then 3 for A2?
This combination is the best in my opinion: Maths/economics/history/physics. I did maths, economics, history, and business studies at AS. I wish I had done either further maths or physics instead of business studies though.
Reply 6
Original post by The Legal Eagle
It isn't seen as the strongest of subjects available, but neither is Economics - both are 'level 2' subjects. Level 2 being Economics, Politics, English Lang, Creative Writing and a few others of which I forget. But level 1 are History, Sciences, English Lit, Maths, Geography and the other typical subjects.

I'd say politics as it broadens your horizons. Are you doing 4 AS levels, then 3 for A2?

Yeah most likely
Reply 7
Original post by anonwinner
This combination is the best in my opinion: Maths/economics/history/physics. I did maths, economics, history, and business studies at AS. I wish I had done either further maths or physics instead of business studies though.

If you don't mind me asking, what degree do you want to do and what uni are you applying to.
You would need further maths if you're thinking of Cambridge or LSE. If this is the case, then the best options would be maths, further maths, economics and history/physics/geography/politics/english etc.

If you're think of Oxford or anywhere else then any of your combinations would be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by groovyd97
You would need further maths if you're thinking of Cambridge or LSE. If this is the case, then the best options would be maths, further maths, economics and history/physics/geography/politics/english etc.

If you're think of Oxford or anywhere else then any of your combinations would be fine.

Yeah Oxford is the university I wish to go to.
Yeah Oxford is the university I wish to go to.

Yeh your choices would be fine then. Bare in mind the Oxford course is not just economics, it's economics and management which is a 50/50 split.

Not doing further maths is fine, but you'd also be ruling out LSE. Also, it is very useful to do as economics courses are in general are quite mathsy (not Oxford so much though)

Also bear in mind that E&M at Oxford is arguably the most competitive course in the UK with acceptance rates of about 8% - not to discourage you or anything haha!
Either way, you should be fine with either combination. Politics is a good AS as it complements Economics well, and vice versa. I'd recommend it for AS Lebel only, and continue with the 3 science subjects for A2, as Economics is more science-y than humanity-y.

Good luck. And enjoy your A Levels, whatever you do! :-)
thanks, also I think it's ok for Cambridge if you don't have further maths in extenuating circumstances. My sixth form doesn't offer fm.
If you don't mind me asking, what degree do you want to do and what uni are you applying to.

Applied for PPE at Oxford, HPE at UCL, and Economics and Politics at Bristol, Nottingham, and Manchester. Have offers from the last 3 so far :smile:

I highly doubt I'll even get an interview for Oxford, but hoping for an offer from UCL
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest