The Student Room Group

Are online degrees worth the paper they are written on?

Scroll to see replies

Well two things:

1) Are non-online degrees worth the paper they're written on? I'd say no.

2) If you take my viewpoint (which not many do) then neither are online degrees. They are equally worth it/not worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by JamesManc
Well two things:

1) Are non-online degrees worth the paper they're written on? I'd say no.

2) If you take my viewpoint (which not many do) then neither are online degrees. They are equally worth it/not worth it.

Im interested in hearing your views as they could save me thousands of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
An online degree with a brick uni (or open university) is probably worth just as much as a degree gained by attending uni.
Though - from experience - I'd be careful about which uni to choose. I've just completed an online degree and there were a lot of promises which weren't kept...
Original post by Silverblue
An online degree with a brick uni (or open university) is probably worth just as much as a degree gained by attending uni.
Though - from experience - I'd be careful about which uni to choose. I've just completed an online degree and there were a lot of promises which weren't kept...

Haha that's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Are you bitter because you didn't get into a real uni?
Original post by langlitz
Haha that's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Are you bitter because you didn't get into a real uni?

Don't worry, I've got a degree from a "real" uni. No need to say any more.
Reply 6

Please give reason for your claims

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry, I've got a degree from a "real" uni. No need to say any more.

Original post by MrMango
Please give reason for your claims

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? Are you actually suggesting that a degree from open university is just as good as say a degree from a Russell group uni? Maybe for Mickey Mouse subjects, not for STEM subjects
Reply 8
Seriously? Are you actually suggesting that a degree from open university is just as good as say a degree from a Russell group uni? Maybe for Mickey Mouse subjects, not for STEM subjects

So isn't it better you say it is dependent on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
So isn't it better you say it is dependent on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He didn't say that either he said
which it clearly isn't. Last I saw there were no requirements for open university courses, which by their very nature suggest they aren't as difficult as a proper degree
Reply 10
He didn't say that either he said which it clearly isn't. Last I saw there were no requirements for open university courses, which by their very nature suggest they aren't as difficult as a proper degree

What? I'm talking about you not him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
What? I'm talking about you not him

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop confusing the issue. Real degree>online degree. /thread
Reply 12
which it clearly isn't. Last I saw there were no requirements for open university courses, which by their very nature suggest they aren't as difficult as a proper degree

Okay, let's get this straight.

I'm currently studying full-time with the OU, doing three modules which are at university level. However, I'm only doing that because I'm on a gap year and I didn't want to sit around and do nothing while I re-apply to university. Before you assume that my academic credentials are poor, I have AAAAABB at Higher and AAA at Advanced Higher. The OU is useful for keeping up education if there's otherwise going to be a gap between school and higher education.

But - and this is the important thing - I'm a very unusual Open University student. Most of the people in my tutor group are literally decades older than me. These are people who might not be able / know how to apply through UCAS, or they want to study at home rather than move to a campus-based uni. Many of them simply can't afford to drop everything and quit their full-time jobs to get a degree from a Russell Group university so that they can then change career after years with no source of steady income. I'm pretty sure a sixty-year-old woman wouldn't necessarily want to be stuck in a lecture theatre five days a week with hundreds of people 40 years her junior.

The Open University - which, I may add, has the words "Distance Learning and Adult Education" on its homepage - is primarily for people who can't, or don't want to, attend a physical university. An OU student is much less likely to be a 19-year-old who can't be bothered with a "proper degree", and much more likely to be a middle-aged adult with a full-time job who cannot afford - financially or otherwise - to go to a physical university.
To add to that the OU produces an unusually high number of academics (not just in UK unis too, I know of one professor at ISU who graduated from the OU in Astrophysics I think) as a lot of the time people will do a bachelors at the OU then do their masters elsewhere. Sure you can say that means people who attend the OU always feel they have to top up their degree to make it legitimate, but even if that's true it clearly provides a good foundation for further study.
Original post by Helloworld_95
To add to that the OU produces an unusually high number of academics (not just in UK unis too, I know of one professor at ISU who graduated from the OU in Astrophysics I think) as a lot of the time people will do a bachelors at the OU then do their masters elsewhere. Sure you can say that means people who attend the OU always feel they have to top up their degree to make it legitimate, but even if that's true it clearly provides a good foundation for further study.

Aye, I wouldn't dismiss the Open University so readily. Their MBA is triple accredited. 75 of the FTSE 100 companies have sponsored employees to undertake Open University courses. It is true that there are no entry requirements to study with the Open University, but that doesn't mean that anyone can pass their courses. Level 1 modules do spend some time preparing students for academic writing and study, but you have to have the ability, and you have to apply yourself, and you either learn fast or fail. That especially goes from level 2 upwards.
Any degree apart from Medicine is poitnless tbh. Only study Medicine.
Original post by Kittiara
It is true that there are no entry requirements to study with the Open University...

Really? And you expect the level of education the Open University offers to be equivalent or better than real universities that require genuinely capable students who've met high offers to get in? Please... :rolleyes:
Most top unis, including Imperial and UCL, offer at least some online courses at masters level.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Really? And you expect the level of education the Open University offers to be equivalent or better than real universities that require genuinely capable students who've met high offers to get in? Please... :rolleyes:

It's not real just a figment of your imagination
Original post by JamesManc
It's not real just a figment of your imagination

Sure. I just imagined there are thousands of universities in the world because it's such an interesting fantasy. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending