The Student Room Group

Culture is not a costume?

So Scott Disick decided to dress up as an arab this halloween...
And Khloe K posted this picture with this caption

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414830412.401504.jpg

Obviously this caused quite an outrage :lol:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414830524.505152.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414830560.447774.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414830572.237235.jpg

My understanding of the caption is: sheik is a arabic term used for princes/royalty,so I'm guessing Scott was going for the saudi prince look. Khloe dressed as a cat(yeah pussyyy). So Sheik pussy?

Sheik is also a term used for respected muslim sufi teachers however. But its clear khloe didnt mean it in this way

I'm a Muslim and arab,and not at all offended. The comments really are shocking .

Muslims, are you offended? Do you think its ok to dress as an arab for halloween?

Edit: Decided to add,is culture appropriaton acceptable?
(edited 9 years ago)
Woah what.I am an agnostic(was born as a Muslim).They are just celebrating Halloween
Why the hate?
(edited 9 years ago)
@picture : freedom of speech

and @commentators : again freedom of speech
Original post by IHTWFR
Cultural appropriation is never right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed.So shouldn't have posted the pics online then?What do you think?
Original post by itsRochana
So Scott Disick decided to dress up as an arab this halloween...
And Khloe K posted this picture with this caption

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414830412.401504.jpg

Obviously this caused quite an outrage :lol:
I'm a Muslim and arab,and not at all offended. The comments really are shocking .

Muslims, are you offended? Do you think its ok to dress as an arab for halloween?

Not the first to satire either.

Frank Zappa produced probably his most controversial work entitled 'Sheik Yerbouti' which is both a parody on American commercial music (titles and themes stripped from 60's/70's artists like Dylan, Frampton, K.C. and the Sunshine Band) and the multiple stereotypes that make up American culture.

Nobody is spared from Construction-Workers to Jewish Princesses, Ivy-league Preppies to Sexual-Deviants.

Taken out of context, individual songs can be viewed as highly offensive and have been banned in many countries including the U.S.

Essential for any serious music collector.

Come to think of it, Zappa has parodied probably every stereotype frequenting TSR!

WARNING: Do not listen of you are easily offended.

(incredible guitar solo at 20'30")

[video="youtube_share;Fk10rtqXbl8"]http://youtu.be/Fk10rtqXbl8[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Not like he strapped explosives to his costume. People are overreacting.
Anyway Khloe kardashian isn't exactly the brightest lol
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought they were armenian not lebanese lol
bear™ is unfamiliar with the lady and gentleman in the OP. perhaps they are vaudeville entertainers ? anyhow it is marvellous that they are dressing up as Joseph and Mary in time for Advent.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I thought they were armenian not lebanese lol

Lol Yh they're armenian
Original post by IHTWFR

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not disagreeing, but why do you think so?
Uh:K:
Reply 11
It is racist towards Arabs for him to dress like this for Halloween. Especially that he is Jewish.
Original post by al_94
It is racist towards Arabs for him to dress like this for Halloween. Especially that he is Jewish.

Hmm I don't see it as racist
Original post by IHTWFR

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm out of rep but this essentially.

Their Arab 'costume' made me cringe as much as that time when one of my friend's decided that it would be hilarious to dress-up as a Rastafarian, complete with fake-tan.
Reply 14
It's racist. If Arabs/Muslims did a similar thing to the West (wearing a pope's costume lol) ,the public and media would be outraged etc. but if you guys did it the Arabs then it's supposed to be fine?

Sorry for being harsh...
The Kartrashians are so stupid.
Original post by iSL97
It's racist. If Arabs/Muslims did a similar thing to the West (wearing a pope's costume lol) ,the public and media would be outraged etc. but if you guys did it the Arabs then it's supposed to be fine?

Sorry for being harsh...

Yes the public/media probably would be outraged. But again,i dont see how it's racist?

Lol it's ok. I'm arab(Lebanese) myself
The West is infested by professional injustice police.
Original post by IHTWFR

Posted from TSR Mobile

In your opinion.

It's a free country, nobody should be banned from dressing in a certain way.

You can register your dislike but I they can justifiably tell you to feck off for being an obnoxious prick.
Original post by iSL97

Sorry for being harsh...

Honestly I think it's kind of the other way around. If a non-white celebrity impersonated a white guy for Halloween, I don't think anyone would make a big deal. If a white guy impersonated someone from an ethnic minority, then I think it would be picked up on.

I wouldn't have any problem with a non-white, non-Catholic person dressing up as the Pope, for example, and I can't think of anyone who would (except people saying it would be considered racist for a white man to dress up as a Sheik)

(No one really cares if non-famous people do these things though)

Quick Reply

Latest