The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
supernova2
er ok. I wouldve though it is possible to get into IB from somewhere like Durham its just it will be a lot lot harder than it already is for someone else at a top 5 place (and its very hard for them anyway). I know that they look at the reputation of the uni rather than the course but there will be exceptions, Maths at Durham is only slightly behind Oxbridge and ahead of the London 3 so I doubt theyd be too bias against it. After all they just want whichever person they believe can maximise their profits.

I am defo sure I can do something with an Accounting and Finance Degree from Durham being that the big4 accountants go there every year to look for undergraduates to work at their firms. I'm defo sure I could get into one area of the market by going to Durham and should atleast have an easier time than people studying AC&FIN at Greenwich (no offence!) or something at finding a job.

I guess I should be doing as much work experience as I can to help me make those very important links with what could possibly be my future employers!
Reply 21
There are some Durham cats in the FO where I work.
Reply 22
Exactly. The big four accountancies go there. You're not going to find bulge bracket investment banks giving presentations and sponsoring university sports clubs and societies. Obviously this is a generalisation as there are going to be exceptional candidates who will get interviewed, but the general opinion is that expressed by Shady Lane. When I was interviewing for internships I found the same thing - students with numerate degrees from LSE, Warwick, UCL and Oxbridge made up the majority of candidates for front office positions.
There are a few presentations from a few big firms for Investment Banking itself - I think I remember seeing posters for a UBS one at least (and obviously BarCap); there are tonnes of events for Accounting firms and the like, such as Deloitte.

I agree in general with the advice given, about 95% of students in FO will be from the list given by ShadyLane alone; given the intake of IB-grads every year, there will be literally only a handful from Durham that make it in. These will be, for example, heads of the Durham Uni Investment and Finance Group - who look all preened ready for IB with impressive internships under their belt. They will have perfect or near-perfect grades (yours are alright, but Double-Business award is a bit worrying). They probably wont be doing Acc. Fin., probably straight Econ.
Reply 24
This thread has come up time and time again, and people attempt to answer it based on their opinions. I too was unsure about what uni course etc to choose, however I thought the best option would be to ask the banks itself what they believe is the best.

One of my friends did a programme at JP morgan and I asked him to ask the recruiting staff the questions on my behalf. They said that course choice didnt matter so much as what University you go to. To find out what Universities are considered 'good', the best thing is to find out which universities the banks do campus recruiting from. You can do this by going on the website and the universities come down in a drop down menu. The ones Ive seen from various banks are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial,LSE, UCl, Warwick, Kings and Bristol. Considering he/she said that this is the best indication of the type of universities they want you to come from, it is perhaps best to try and go to one of these.
Quantitive degrees are not essential although they may give you an advantage.
shady lane
Currently at LSE. Will be starting on £36K.

Lol, my friend qualified from Northampton Uni and earns more than that. He's at Shell in London.

Is Shell bigger than Barclays? I don't keep up to date with companies.

*Assumes BarCap is Barclays Capital*
Reply 26
Dude. Bonus.
Reply 27
rboogie
There are some Durham cats in the FO where I work.

Where do you work?
Pretty Boy Floyd
Lol, my friend qualified from Northampton Uni and earns more than that. He's at Shell in London.

Is Shell bigger than Barclays? I don't keep up to date with companies.

*Assumes BarCap is Barclays Capital*

Its got nothing to do with the size of a company. Its likely that she'll be well over 100k in the next 3 years. Shes prob on around 50-55k at the moment including bonuses. IB pay starts high and then just skyrockets.
Reply 29
Bertan
Where do you work?

BB firm.
rboogie
BB firm.

Ah that reminds me of a funny thing that happened when I was on the GS A level day thing. We were sitting around a table with a hedge fund manager and someone got the balls to ask him how much he earned. He didn't look too happy.
Reply 31
supernova2
Ah that reminds me of a funny thing that happened when I was on the GS A level day thing. We were sitting around a table with a hedge fund manager and someone got the balls to ask him how much he earned. He didn't look too happy.

Lol, to which his response was?
supernova2
Its got nothing to do with the size of a company. Its likely that she'll be well over 100k in the next 3 years. Shes prob on around 50-55k at the moment including bonuses. IB pay starts high and then just skyrockets.

Who's she? Shady is still at uni, mate.

She'll be starting on 36K.
I'll be on around £55K with bonuses.

And who says I'm working at Barcap??!!
BTW if rboogie is who I think he is--and he says he knows me--then he doesn't work at a BB firm, although he is in finance. And I've never met him, so I don't know why he'd claim to know where I'll be working next year.

I also think he made out with one of my friends a few months ago :p: If it's you, just say so, my North American friend.
Singh_87
Lol, to which his response was?

it was something like:

"We don't talk about things like that with each other, in fact its seen as quiet rude to ask"
shady lane
I'll be on around £55K with bonuses.

And who says I'm working at Barcap??!!

Aww chucks Shady, don't be so shy, its only a couple of G that pay is below market levels. :wink:
EDIT: Google is a hell of a drug. This post is misleading--people might think I'm referring to BarCap salaries.

Sorry if I was confusing...my starting package is £XXK. £XX is the base. And that's before any year-end bonuses. That's pretty standard, but feel free to keep guessing my employer based on the salary. I wouldn't want to put you off BarCap based on a random guess LBC, I know they're wicked in FI and they are rumored to prefer hiring pretty girls as analysts :wink: Would be a good place for you.
shady lane
Sorry if I was confusing...my starting package is £42K. £36 is the base. And that's before any year-end bonuses. That's pretty standard, but feel free to keep guessing my employer based on the salary. I wouldn't want to put you off BarCap based on a random guess LBC, I know they're wicked in FI and they are rumored to prefer hiring pretty girls as analysts :wink: Would be a good place for you.

Hahaha, it's ok, I prefer HR girls and they're all pretty across the board, so no worries there. Did your good looks help in the BarCap offer then? BTW, should you really be writing your BarCap salary on an internet board? Big brother (or is it sister?) is watching. :wink:
You keep saying I'm working at BarCap, not me.
Rboogie has never even met me. You shouldn't trust his posts, given that he's lying about working at a bulge bracket firm.

Latest