The Student Room Group

Is Being a Vegan/Vegetarian Healthier?

Scroll to see replies

Your hipster friend was probably being ironic. They do that you know.

Other than that a vegetarian diet will leave you deficient in key sources of things like iron and other micronutrients as well as creatine which is meat only.

Flipside is that our meat is pumped full of some really nasty **** so you probably will come out on top with supplementation.
Well humans were evolved to be primary consumers and are developed to deal with meat products. Other than that you all make very valid points. If i knew being a vegetarian would make an impact on animal cruelty i would convert right away
Original post by jaquele
Well humans were evolved to be primary consumers and are developed to deal with meat products. Other than that you all make very valid points. If i knew being a vegetarian would make an impact on animal cruelty i would convert right away

Thats like saying if I knew resisting the urge to kill would lower the murder rate I would throw out my collection of guns
Original post by LTG
With all due respect, I dont need to be told about nutrition. I already know what I am talking about. There is no way you will get 15g of zinc a day from a few nuts, you will also not get enough magnesium from green vegetables. You will need a lot of grains to get this in, and even then you may struggle.

It's simple maths, you NEED essential fats that are found in red meat, nuts and oils for your hormones. Fats will not magically be produced in your body, and plants alone will not provide numbers in the 70-80g range. I know this because I do powerlifitng and eat organic, including meats, and it is still a struggle to hit the right numbers therefore I have to eat a lot of peanut butter and olive oil.

It's that simple.

Zinc - Women weigh 50kg need 8mg of zinc a day, vegan women at the same weigh will need x1.5 more (12mg). *note: my weight is ~41kg.
Here is my daily intake of zinc:
2.5 spoons of raw Tahina - about 7mg (due to it having large concentration of calcium the absorbtion will be less lets say by a half) - 3.5mg.
100g of mixed nuts - ~3.5mg.
1 Cup of cooked whole grains - ~1.5mg
0.5 Cup of bean germs. ~1mg
Wheat germ (in salad) - 0.5mg
another 0.5mg from bread and fruits and vegies. Total : 10.5mg The right amount for my weight.

MagnesiumWomen weigh 50kg need 350mg of magnesium a day. *note: my weight is ~41kg.
Here is my daily intake of Magnesium (same products):
1 Cup of cooked whole grains - ~100mg
100g of mixed nuts - ~80mg.
250g of green vegies. - ~80mg.
from other foods (including bread and grain flex) - ~70mg.
TOTAL : ~330mg..

Nuts are plant based food, oils are made of plant parts, you don't have to eat meat to get fats.
Reply 104
Original post by jaquele
To be fair, vegetarianism can be healthy, but all the nutrients you have in meat will most likely be presented artificially. I know it sounds studio, but do you eat insects? They contain a large amount of essential nutrients including being rich in iron and protein. They don't taste that bad if you prepare them well.( you probably think I'm crazy lol)

I don't have any supplements lol. I don't know how else to describe it, nobody on my family takes extra injections or pills and nobody eats meat.

I don't doubt the nutrient value of insects, pound for pound some of the best stuff you could be shovelling down your throat.

Original post by e aí rapaz
I read it. Only a few idiots have said that it's unhealthy.

Although I agree with you that people have this general view that vegetarians are weedy and anaemic, that's true. If you challenge people about it though it all boils down to ignorance on the subject.

I feel the ignorance is pervasive in this area and has ended becoming a standard image in so many people's minds. I have heard it so many times, sometimes as a joke but then at times you can see it's what people really think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest