The Student Room Group

Would You Date A Drug User?

Poll

Would you date a drug user?

Vote on the poll/say why.

I don't do them, never will, but I guess a large percentage of people our age do. Would you date one?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Define "drug", paracetamol, antibiotics, aspirin.....why do we class certain drugs with huge stigma and other prescribed pills as ok. There are legal drugs drugs like oxy that can destroy lives and painkillers too. But, a bag of weed is a big no no. WTF.
As an occasional drug user myself, of course. I always wanted a girlfriend to smoke weed with, it's a lovely bonding thing for me. I don't like cocaine though, so I wouldn't like a girlfriend to use that regularly, and obviously no smack, crack or meth. A nice girl to slip an E with and dance the night away, or cuddle up and take some hallocinogenics with though, that I would definitely consider.

I'm predicting the poll results are going to show guys why you shouldn't tell potential girlfriends about drug use early on. I have a long term girlfriend who doesn't do drugs, when we were first seeing each other she text me to ask what I was doing, I thought I'd be honest and say I was smoking weed. She admits she considered stopping seeing me because of that- not because she had a real problem with occasional drug use, but because she now imagined me as a stoner waster who got high all the time.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
As an occasional drug user myself, of course. I always wanted a girlfriend to smoke weed with, it's a lovely bonding thing for me. I don't like cocaine though, so I wouldn't like a girlfriend to use that regularly, and obviously no smack, crack or meth. A nice girl to slip an E with and dance the night away, or cuddle up and take some hallocinogenics with though, that I would definitely consider.

I'm predicting the poll results are going to show guys why you shouldn't tell potential girlfriends about drug use early on.
I have a long term girlfriend who doesn't do drugs, when we were first seeing each other she text me to ask what I was doing, I thought I'd be honest and say I was smoking weed. She admits she considered stopping seeing me because of that- not because she had a real problem with occasional drug use, but because she now imagined me as a stoner waster who got high all the time.

If someone doesn't want to date a drug user they won't, I doubt when you tell them exactly plays into that. If you want to clarify that you're not "wasted all the time" you can do that just as well early on.

Holding off telling someone about it for a while on purpose, when you know it might be an issue for a lot of people, is downright manipulative. Not that it'd work very well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Define "drug", paracetamol, antibiotics, aspirin.....why do we class certain drugs with huge stigma and other prescribed pills as ok. There are legal drugs drugs like oxy that can destroy lives and painkillers too. But, a bag of weed is a big no no. WTF.

Why are you anon?

Lel we all know what I mean. I was expecting a few "why not legalise them" crew members in here, but that ain't what this thread is about yo :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
No, never again. Even if it was occasional. My significant other is addicted to amphetamines and usually stays up monday through friday not having a wink of sleep. He gets violent and shouts thinga randomly and now he is having kidnet problems. Before the speed it was miaow, before miaow it was E. I cant explain how badly this has affected me over the years, and I will never allow myself to get involved with a drug user again.
Reply 6
No, never again. Even if it was occasional. My significant other is addicted to amphetamines and usually stays up monday through friday not having a wink of sleep. He gets violent and shouts thinga randomly and now he is having kidnet problems.Before the speed it was miaow, before miaow it was E. I cant explain how badly this has affected me over the years, and I will never allow myself to get involved with a drug user again.

That's awful, sorry to hear that :s-smilie: He sounds abusive TBH, have you thought of moving out or getting some support? :hugs:
I feel like "drug user" is a bit of a buzzword where people often assume that all drugs are harmful and life ruining. In reality, responsible drug use can be therapeutic and a nice way to form bonds.
Personally, I've dated a drug user and taking MDMA together allowed us to talk so openly and connect on a completely different level. Also, it's a pretty amazing experience and lovely to share with somebody.
As long as they respect the drug and respect their own body, and they're not doing harm to anyone else there is nothing wrong with occasional drug use.
Reply 8
I would prefer to date someone who smoked weed over someone who did not.

It would depend on their level of usage for harder drugs.

There's a difference between oxy and paracetamol though. I wouldn't want to date somebody with a prescription painkiller addiction (although if I loved them I'm sure I would anyway). If I had a form to fill in where I could choose the traits of an ideal partner and then one would spawn in front of me, drug user would not be one of the traits. I want to settle down and have a family at some point, and there is no way in hell I'm doing that in a house with drugs in.
Reply 10
Original post by Wahrheit
There's a difference between oxy and paracetamol though. I wouldn't want to date somebody with a prescription painkiller addiction (although if I loved them I'm sure I would anyway). If I had a form to fill in where I could choose the traits of an ideal partner and then one would spawn in front of me, drug user would not be one of the traits. I want to settle down and have a family at some point, and there is no way in hell I'm doing that in a house with drugs in.

This really.
Original post by pane123
I would prefer to date someone who smoked weed over someone who did not.

It would depend on their level of usage for harder drugs.

Oh cool :smile: Do you do drugs yourself if you don't mind me asking? (No worries if you don't want to answer lol)
Reply 12
Depends on the drug if it's weed I wouldn't be bothered. On the other hand if she's slumped on the floor with her skin hanging off after injecting home made Krokadil that's more of a problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wahrheit

samba
x

Same :yep:
Depends entirely on the situation. If they have a completely normal life with a 9-5 job, hobbies, etc., but happen to smoke some weed and take some pills on a night out on weekends? No big deal. If they are into hard, addictive drugs, hang out with people I don't feel safe around and don't have time for much else... that would put me off.

I guess you could say I wouldn't be attracted to extremes. Not to someone who was vehemently anti-drug (especially if they are a big drinker), and not to someone who is in really deep and doesn't know how to go without them.
You don't know who you're dating when you're going out with someone who does drugs. Even the slightest substance in your body has side effects. No, I wouldn't date a drug user.
Original post by BreakingBadx
Oh cool :smile: Do you do drugs yourself if you don't mind me asking? (No worries if you don't want to answer lol)

I smoke weed and have tried various other drugs, although I haven't used anything other than weed for a few years, including alcohol.
No, unless it's medicinal.
Reply 18
A lot of people are misinformed on drug use, it's quite sad.
Personally I'd prefer to date a drug user, rolling on MDMA with people you love is one of the nicest experiences and really not harmful if you do your research and know how to dose responsibly.
Reply 19
Love a hawt girl who'll roll ma zoobiez

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply