The Student Room Group

Do I go for catered or self-catered halls?

I know there's been a few threads on this but I wanted to see if anything has changed since 2011 in terms of the quality/range of food provided in catered halls.

At the moment I'm leaning towards self-catered just because of the flexibility and cost, it also seems more like my idea of the 'student lifestyle' but the extent of my culinary skills is the probably the gourmet Rustlers burger....:biggrin:

If it helps I've applied to do Politics+IR at Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow and Aberdeen and got conditional offers back from Manchester+Glasgow.
Reply 1
I was self-catered, and i'd highly recommend it. It just gives you more freedom (with your time, i.e. you don't need to be there between X hours to get a meal) and the cost/flexibility.

You'll be moving out into second year usually, where you won't have a catered option typically, so it's usually a good idea to "learn" during first year when most other people are also not well versed in the art of cooking. I found cooking/time in the kitchen probably the most social area where I have lived because the kitchen has been attached to the living area (halls) or both of my private houses haven't had much in the way of a good living area.

I don't think the catered food is that bad, i've heard relatively good things at my university, it's just not everything would necessarily be something you'd choose to eat otherwise, for instance.
Reply 2
I chose catered and kinda glad I did. I didn't have to worry about anything, about what to cook and buying food etc. I just had to show up there and pick what I want. I went to Loughborough and I actually really liked the catered food there and very social as everyone in our hall are there. But self-catered still is the most popular option and I guess it's better for some people as the above person have said, it gives more flexibility and freedom and will prepare you for second year. I chose catered as I can't cook to save my life, but me and flatmates still have to cook during the weekends as it only caters weekdays.
Original post by Ooooooo
I know there's been a few threads on this but I wanted to see if anything has changed since 2011 in terms of the quality/range of food provided in catered halls.

At the moment I'm leaning towards self-catered just because of the flexibility and cost, it also seems more like my idea of the 'student lifestyle' but the extent of my culinary skills is the probably the gourmet Rustlers burger....:biggrin:

If it helps I've applied to do Politics+IR at Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow and Aberdeen and got conditional offers back from Manchester+Glasgow.

I've done both so I'll weigh it up for you :smile: (summer school was catered and regular university self-catered)

Catered (my experience):
* there was a good variety of foods; cooked breakfasts, fruit bowls, salad bowls etc.
* easy to get your 5+ a day
* you don't have to spend time cooking!
* tasty food (Van Mildert college, Durham :P)
* sometimes the food hall can be busy so you may not be able to eat with friends :rolleyes:

Self catered:
* you can cook any time of the day
* works out a bit cheaper
* you decide what you eat

Catered works out at a bit more money and I really liked being 'catered' but I think it's good to get straight into providing for yourself straight away; life skills!

Speaking as somebody who has done both, I really cannot choose.
Reply 4
Original post by EloiseStar

Original post by jc20

Original post by Nymthae

Thanks that was really helpful, I think self-catered is the best option for me - now just gotta learn how to cook:wink:
My college here at Cambridge gives us the option to go catered or non catered, we can go to the buttery and get a big meal for around £3-5 or if we are busy/not that hungry we have kitchen facilities that allow us to cook for ourselves.

It might be worth looking to see if you have any "pick and choose" halls at your unis before deciding 100% one way or the other.
Original post by Ooooooo
Thanks that was really helpful, I think self-catered is the best option for me - now just gotta learn how to cook:wink:

g, thats' easier saidn than done .. imagine i've been trying to learn how to cook - cause i'd like to go self-catered aha

that is, aside from youtube i have no idea how to learn lool
Reply 7
Catered halls can b a lot more expensive than self-catering, so make sure you can afford it before signing anything. Bear in mind that Student Finance takes no account of your student costs. If your parents can't afford to make up any shortfall, you may find yourself in accommodation which is beyond your means.

Do the maths - you may find out that catered isn't an option, depending on your personal circumstances. It's not guaranteed, but it's a possibility that you need to take account of.
Reply 8
...Also, see if you can find reviews from current students about the type/quality of the catering. There's no point signing up to a catered option if it routinely dishes up food that you don't want to eat.
Reply 9
self catered would be better if you know how to cook
Original post by Ooooooo

Self cater gives you more choice of what and when too eat.
If you need help Google student food there are some really good food sites for people on a budget if you want. My orange chicken and rice respy send me a message
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending