The Student Room Group

Can you take AS and A2 Maths in one year?

Hey guys! :smile:

Is it possible to do Maths AS and A2 in one year and do both exams in june 2015? I really need it for my course!

I already covered around 80% of the curriculum by doing IB Math SL and part of mechanics in Physics HL. I already know it will be hard, but im up for it. I just would like to know if it is allowed.

I already read many threads created by people who did this, but the latest one was written 2 years ago, and then it was possible. I want to make sure that this information is still true.

Thank you guys!! :smile:
Yeah definitely I knew a couple of people who taken 3 intensives at once (including maths) - definitely doable if you work hard and have the natural ability.
Plenty of people do it in a year, go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes this is possible. You should do it.
Reply 4
Original post by Summit

Is it possible to do Maths AS and A2 in one year and do both exams in june 2015? I really need it for my course!

Yes you can. You need to choose exactly which units you want to do. The entry deadline for the summer is 21 February so don't miss it.
Reply 5
Original post by Summit

I already covered around 80% of the curriculum by doing IB Math SL and part of mechanics in Physics HL. I already know it will be hard, but im up for it. I just would like to know if it is allowed.

I already read many threads created by people who did this, but the latest one was written 2 years ago, and then it was possible. I want to make sure that this information is still true.

Thank you guys!! :smile:

Yeah - it's called further maths isn't it?
Reply 6
Original post by Andy98
Yeah - it's called further maths isn't it?

No, it's Maths A level in one year. It's true that some schools offer Maths A level in one year followed by Further Maths in one year but that doesn't make the first year Further Maths.
Reply 7
I along with our entire maths class did just this last year.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
No, it's Maths A level in one year. It's true that some schools offer Maths A level in one year followed by Further Maths in one year but that doesn't make the first year Further Maths.

Ohh - mine just calls the two years further maths
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
Ohh - mine just calls the two years further maths

It used to be the standard way of doing Maths and Further Maths A levels. However, taking AS Maths and AS Further maths in Year 12 has become a more popular option as some universities effectively penalise candidates who complete an A level a year early. Medicine applicants, in particular, are generally required to get (say) A*AA from 3 A levels completed in Year 13, ignoring whatever they got in Year 12. Candidates who can get an A* or A in Maths may struggle to get it in Further Maths.
Reply 10
Thank you so much guys! I had to drop Cambridge for lots of reasons, including having just 2 sciences at Higher Level in my IB diploma. But now that I know that I can take math A level I will give Imperial a shot! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
It used to be the standard way of doing Maths and Further Maths A levels. However, taking AS Maths and AS Further maths in Year 12 has become a more popular option as some universities effectively penalise candidates who complete an A level a year early. Medicine applicants, in particular, are generally required to get (say) A*AA from 3 A levels completed in Year 13, ignoring whatever they got in Year 12. Candidates who can get an A* or A in Maths may struggle to get it in Further Maths.

Ahhh yeah - ours cash in AS maths in the first year, then they cash in A2 maths and further the second year
Reply 12
Hey guys!

I got in touch with my local British Council and they agreed to let me take the exam! I'm so happy! :biggrin:

I can chose between two boards, Edexcel Pearson or Cambridge International Examination, which one is easier/more highly regarded/more similar to the math SL syllabus?

Thank you soo much!
Original post by Summit
Hey guys!

I got in touch with my local British Council and they agreed to let me take the exam! I'm so happy! :biggrin:

I can chose between two boards, Edexcel Pearson or Cambridge International Examination, which one is easier/more highly regarded/more similar to the math SL syllabus?

Thank you soo much!

Why do you need permission from your local british council~?
Reply 14
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Why do you need permission from your local british council~?

I live abroad and my school offers the IB diploma programme. The British Council takes private candidates for GCSEs/IGCSEs, IELTS and AS/A2 levels. I would need to take the exam there.
People who do further maths technically do it. But yeah anyone can
Original post by Summit
I live abroad and my school offers the IB diploma programme. The British Council takes private candidates for GCSEs/IGCSEs, IELTS and AS/A2 levels. I would need to take the exam there.

Will they pay for your exams?
Reply 17
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Will they pay for your exams?

I don't think so :/ Should they?
Original post by Summit
I don't think so :/ Should they?

I was thinking the same question..

Quick Reply

Latest