The Student Room Group

Will the ticket price make football lose a generation of fans?

Students dont have much money...

Scroll to see replies

no, but I would not be suprised to see (as I am sure has already happened) a much more telivision based audiance, many of whom have never been to a live game (like myself)
Original post by fallen_acorns
no, but I would not be suprised to see (as I am sure has already happened) a much more telivision based audiance, many of whom have never been to a live game (like myself)

How long have you been in to football out of interest?
I've been a Football fan all my life and I've only ever been to one match before in the stadium. Yeah I agree the ticket prices are ridiculous but the atmosphere you get in a big Football game is matched by no other sport. :smile:
Original post by Wilfred Little
How long have you been in to football out of interest?

about 4 years or so properly, and probably about another 2-3 years before that where I just followed it very casually..

Looking back, I would have loved to have grown up in a football family, and been taken to matches etc.. seems like a football experiance I will always have missed, and these days its unlikely I will ever live in london, so probably wont go to an arsenal match at all.. (when I did live in london for 4 years, i was a student, and far to broke to go see a game)
Original post by fallen_acorns
about 4 years or so properly, and probably about another 2-3 years before that where I just followed it very casually..

Looking back, I would have loved to have grown up in a football family, and been taken to matches etc.. seems like a football experiance I will always have missed, and these days its unlikely I will ever live in london, so probably wont go to an arsenal match at all.. (when I did live in london for 4 years, i was a student, and far to broke to go see a game)

Fair enough, suppose I'm lucky that my dad would take me. If you live in Bristol why not go and see one of the Bristol clubs play just to experience a live match? Miles better than telly. Bristol Rovers £7 for Category B matches? I would go. I used to go and watch Blues for a quid sometimes :laugh:

&

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
I used to go to the Emirates when I could to see games with the money I'd saved during Christmas etc. but no more. The ticket prices there are horrific and you don't get your money's worth anymore. That was during my living in London anyway, now we live in the West Midlands where Villa and Wolves tickets are ten a penny in relative. I've been to Villa games and local club games, a great atmosphere there.
I can't imagine myself going to another Arsenal game unless it's a £10 FA Cup or League Cup tie like the Southampton one. I just can't afford it as a student and it isn't worth it. London club tickets are horribly expensive. Strange, as Man City and even Man United tickets are a bargain in relative
Original post by somemightsay888
I used to go to the Emirates when I could to see games with the money I'd saved during Christmas etc. but no more. The ticket prices there are horrific and you don't get your money's worth anymore. That was during my living in London anyway, now we live in the West Midlands where Villa and Wolves tickets are ten a penny in relative. I've been to Villa games and local club games, a great atmosphere there.
I can't imagine myself going to another Arsenal game unless it's a £10 FA Cup or League Cup tie like the Southampton one. I just can't afford it as a student and it isn't worth it. London club tickets are horribly expensive. Strange, as Man City and even Man United tickets are a bargain in relative

Thanks for the nice words.
people game now instead of watch football

it's free (sometimes) and fun (always) and you get to *beep* things up in teams i don't see the appeal of kicking the sphere anymore or watching anyone do it

i mean why watch the game mostly from one boring static camera angle, or go to a match where you can't even see their faces cause you're so far away

just dunt make sense to me
(edited 9 years ago)
Watch your local non-league team. To the big corporate teams you're just stock. Many people are moving to the non-leagues where there is actual camaraderie and atmosphere rather than it feeling like a trip to the airport.
Reply 10
Original post by scrotgrot
Watch your local non-league team. To the big corporate teams you're just stock. Many people are moving to the non-leagues where there is actual camaraderie and atmosphere rather than it feeling like a trip to the airport.

seconding this
Original post by The_Last_Melon
i mean why watch the game mostly from one boring static camera angle, or go to a match where you can't even see their faces cause you're so far away

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen us score a great goal live only to realise I can't make out the faces of the players. Completely ruins it for me. What good's a goal when you can't see their eyebrows? :mad:
I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen us score a great goal live only to realise I can't make out the faces of the players. Completely ruins it for me. What good's a goal when you can't see their eyebrows? :mad:

what i'm saying is it's far away...meaning you can't see faces AS AN EXAMPLE...you also can't see other important details like the facking spinning of the ball or whatever **** you go to see, details are important...cause ...they give u information
Fair enough, suppose I'm lucky that my dad would take me. If you live in Bristol why not go and see one of the Bristol clubs play just to experience a live match? Miles better than telly. Bristol Rovers £7 for Category B matches? I would go. I used to go and watch Blues for a quid sometimes :laugh:

&

Spoiler

cheers for the info! - I am actually thinking about doing that :smile: a friend of mine from bristol is a city fan, and was going to go along with him to some games, when I eventually end up back in bristol..

Currently I live in liverpool though :tongue:

Very tempted to see if I can get a ticket on the day for when arsenal come up here.. depends if I can afford it really..

Though as soon as I can re-locate back to bristol, (have not lived there in 5 years now) I do intend to attend some city games and see how it goes from there :smile:
More just that a generation of fans will be rather wealthy rather than the traditional working class sport :indiff:

Every year I had to choose between an arsenal season ticket and a holiday. It's getting a bit out of control.
Reply 15
It's an extremely expensive hobby and pastime to indulge in, that's for sure. The BBC Price of Football survey gets more worrying every year.
As long as Percy from Staines upon Thames, Roger the Investment Banker and Kenneth the American tourist want to catch a Premier League game in their spare time, absolutely nothing will be done about it. Why should clubs introduce cheaper tickets when they can consistently sell out to the upper middle class at inflated prices?

Not saying this is right but this is how it is.
Original post by sr90
As long as Percy from Staines upon Thames, Roger the Investment Banker and Kenneth the American tourist want to catch a Premier League game in their spare time, absolutely nothing will be done about it. Why should clubs introduce cheaper tickets when they can consistently sell out to the upper middle class at inflated prices?

Imagine the tears and tantrums on here if I'd have posted that.

You're right by the way.
Imagine the tears and tantrums on here if I'd have posted that.

You're right by the way.

Most PC example I could think of.
Reply 19
Original post by sr90

The worrying thing is that it isn't purely Premier League fans being priced out now, though. Clubs with large stadiums in the lower leagues are hiking their prices up and it's ridiculous. It costs £25 to see Coventry v Walsall at the Ricoh Arena ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest