The Student Room Group

Writing my PS for psychology AND social work, is this possible?

Hey!
I am a foreigner in England and I'm a bit lost with writing my personal statement. I am applying to undergraduate studies in (scottish) universities for psychology and social work programmes. The problem is that if UCAS only takes one personal statement, how can I make my statement universal for both? or is there some way around it or a possibility to make two personal statements?

I also do not know whether or not to mention the names of the universities and programmes I am applying to.

Any advice of what not to mention and what to mention would be very welcome..
Reply 1
don't mention the subjects or universities you're applying for. I suggest try and be general whilst also being as specific as you can and try and find aspects of both courses that overlap to include in your PS
Reply 2
Original post by Tari1997
don't mention the subjects or universities you're applying for. I suggest try and be general whilst also being as specific as you can and try and find aspects of both courses that overlap to include in your PS

Thank you for the advice! But last year when I applied (and didn't get anywhere) I got a criticism from University of Dundee, that my personal statement wasn't specific enough.. I wonder what that meant.
Original post by Pandakarhu
Thank you for the advice! But last year when I applied (and didn't get anywhere) I got a criticism from University of Dundee, that my personal statement wasn't specific enough.. I wonder what that meant.

Have you looked at psychology personal statements on this page:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Psychology_Personal_Statements ?

You need to be very specific. Each admissions tutor wants to be sure that you know at least which compulsory modules you will be taking if you accept an offer from their course. In your personal statement you have to explain what motivates you to study the course, and what strengths and skills you will bring to that course.

You cannot therefore write a good personal statement that fits more than one type of course (it is hard enough writing it to fit the same course at five different universities!)

Are you intending applying for say three psychology courses and two social work courses? Or have you found a course that offers both? You need to decide what you really want to study, and then the personal statement should be easier to write.

On the other hand, if you are applying for, say, five psychology courses with varying amounts of social work modules, you could perhaps focus on explaining why you want to study psychology and then, if you have some voluntary work or work experience with a social work connection, you could illustrate this by mentioning your extra-curriculars? You would probably need to do this the other way around if you are applying for five social work degrees with varying amounts of psychology modules?

If you have forty minutes to spare, have a look at this helpful video on writing a personal statement:

http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/imedia/download/1738/how-to-write-an-excellent-personal-statement
I'm afraid it's not possible - psychology is academic and social work is vocational so the PS requirements are very different. Decide which you want to apply for and focus your PS on that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending