The Student Room Group

Mechanical or Civil Engineering?

Hi, I am a massive formula one fan so Mechanical engineering is what I have always been looking forward to. However, from what I found on the internet, civil engineering is a soaring industry with a bright future, on the other side, formula one just lost two teams, on top of that the unemployment rate of mechanical engineering is 10%, whereas civil is around 1%.
I am of course interested in buildings and amazed in the process of building it but not as passionate as formula one.

Please tell me opinions regarding this situation.
Original post by jlam1
Hi, I am a massive formula one fan so Mechanical engineering is what I have always been looking forward to. However, from what I found on the internet, civil engineering is a soaring industry with a bright future, on the other side, formula one just lost two teams, on top of that the unemployment rate of mechanical engineering is 10%, whereas civil is around 1%.
I am of course interested in buildings and amazed in the process of building it but not as passionate as formula one.

That tells you everything you need to know. As things stand in the current climate, the 9% difference is negligible and won't compensate for a lack of passion in what you do.
Original post by jlam1

Where did you get those statistics from?

Anyway, if it's F1 that turns you on (almost rhymes), then it's either mechanical or aero.

You can also work in building and construction with a mechanical degree, e.g. HVAC.

In fact, both engineering degrees are very broad, with a fair amount of overlap.

My degree was in mechanical, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who isn't entirely sure what exactly they want to do, other than know it's not electrical or electronics. There's honestly so much you can do with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending