The Student Room Group

Computer Science or Applied ICT for a career in design?

I have to choose my options by mid-November and I've got French and Art down. Unsure about the other 2. I'm currently studying ICT IGCSE and am quite good at it.
Which A level should I choose and why?:confused: Opinions from those taking these subjects would be much appreciated :smile:
Computer Science. Applied subjects are looked down upon. I do Applied ICT, it's a bunch of crap and universities don't really consider it as a good subject.
Computer Science is much more useful and valuable compared to Applied ICT. It's also more academic, I'd suggest having that alongside your arts subjects. But Applied ICT is good if you're not that good at maths, since you'll need to do programming and some detailed theory(with maths) for computing, whereas in ICT its more like information processing etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KrystabelKok
I have to choose my options by mid-November and I've got French and Art down. Unsure about the other 2. I'm currently studying ICT IGCSE and am quite good at it.
Which A level should I choose and why?:confused: Opinions from those taking these subjects would be much appreciated :smile:

Computer Science is better than Applied ICT, and even in design is seen as more appropriate. It's also a lot more interesting, ICT is pretty tedious and boring though it is quite easy in comparison.

Computer Science isn't that hard as an A-Level, though this depends on the board and spec. I do WJEC Computing - and personally I think that's the easiest board for Computing/Computer Science. I've heard AQA/OCR are a bit more rigorous in comparison.

Applied ICT is more the use of databases and et cetera and data management, which fair enough for some is interesting and useful but in my opinion programming and hardware are more interesting to learn about.

There is definitely Maths in Computing/Computer Science A-Level but nothing more than GCSE level to be honest.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest