The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a love/hate relationship with myself. Mostly hate at the moment, though.
I've hated myself for as long as I can remember, I'm 22 now and can't really see it changing anytime soon.
Reply 42
i hate myself. im ****.
I did used to hate myself, and any criticism ruined my day/week/whatever.
Nowadays I'm okay - I hardly care about stuff people say any more. I allow myself to have an opinion and try hard to realise that what they say doesn't have to mean anything to me. I've only been able to become like this by taking long breaks from the people who make me feel crap over the summer holidays, and meeting new people at uni courses and parties & that. It took a fairly long time, but yeah, it's better.
Reply 44
i'm not sure. im all over the place, i gess i hate myself but then at times i feel so lucky that im me and i have things that other may only dream of.
Reply 45
I like some things about myself, and dislike some things. I don't think I hate any part of me, really. I've got a lot happier in the past 2 years.
Reply 46
I was exceptionally shy and introverted as a teenager, had self esteem issues andbody image issues right up until the end of Uni, in the last two years I finally realised this is me, its not going to change anytime soon, and that the most important thing is to be happy and comfortable with who I am. I had to fight for it, but now I'm comfortable in my own skin, and yes I like myself. Keep working at it, you will find some like for yourself in there somewhere!!!
Reply 47
natsing
I was exceptionally shy and introverted as a teenager, had self esteem issues andbody image issues right up until the end of Uni, in the last two years I finally realised this is me, its not going to change anytime soon, and that the most important thing is to be happy and comfortable with who I am. I had to fight for it, but now I'm comfortable in my own skin, and yes I like myself. Keep working at it, you will find some like for yourself in there somewhere!!!

Why would I want to? If I was somebody else I wouldn't bother speaking to me. Why give myself a less harsh judgement than I would another person?
Reply 48
allymcb2
Why would I want to? If I was somebody else I wouldn't bother speaking to me. Why give myself a less harsh judgement than I would another person?

Because, unlike with other people, you have no choice but to live with yourself, you cannot escape you!! Being comfortable with who you are is all you have, other people will judge you enough for your decisions, your morals, your opinions, give yourself a break!!!
Reply 49
natsing
Because, unlike with other people, you have no choice but to live with yourself, you cannot escape you!! Being comfortable with who you are is all you have, other people will judge you enough for your decisions, your morals, your opinions, give yourself a break!!!

Thats no reason to like myself. I wouldn't like horrid decorating just because I didn't have the money to change it, why should I like me just because I can't get away from me?

The judgement of myself should be the same as my judgement of everyone else.
Reply 50
allymcb2

haha, erm, quit the self-righteousness?

i love myself. i don't constantly feel like this but then who does? generally, i'm content with the person that i am, the way i look. i feel comfortable being me and if i do something stupid/embarrassing/strange, i don't care. i don't apologise just for the sake of it. why should i? we all think the same, we all have similar brains, we all look like human beings... only difference is you're YOU and i'm ME. and i'm proud of that.

all you people that hate/dislike yourselves, yeah, i used to be one of you. just give up the negative vibes. you're wasting so much energy that could be used on positiveness. as "lame" or "pathetic" as it is to be happy these days, it's your life at the end of the day and not some poxy teenage trend setter's who stands outside tesco's constantly frowning and calling you santa claus if your'e laughing.

why don't you just try it for a day or two... think about all the things that make you you and not anybody else... and why you're PROUD of those things. so what if you're not perfect? who the hell cares? imperfection is beautiful.
Reply 51
ph9

why don't you just try it for a day or two... think about all the things that make you you and not anybody else... and why you're PROUD of those things. so what if you're not perfect? who the hell cares? imperfection is beautiful.

So, I am supposed to be proud of all the flab, cellulite spots, stupid mistakes, bad dress sense, bad accent, crap nails, poor grades, indiscretions, and moral wrongs am I? Yeah, right, leave that one with me.
Reply 52
allymcb2
So, I am supposed to be proud of all the flab, cellulite spots, stupid mistakes, bad dress sense, bad accent, crap nails, poor grades, indiscretions, and moral wrongs am I? Yeah, right, leave that one with me.

Yes you are!!! They are part of what makes you, you! If you don't like them change them, otherwise stop whinging about it and learn to deal!!
Reply 53
natsing
Keep working at it, you will find some like for yourself in there somewhere!!!

I must admit, I find the thought of liking myself utterly sickening. I guess that's because I feel that it's my fault that I despise myself so much - if I hadn't turned out to be an idiot, I wouldn't have come to hate myself in the first place, would I? I got myself into this situation, therefore I do not deserve anyone's sympathy or my own approval. *shrugs* That's just how I think.

(Sorry to be so depressing! ^_^; )
Reply 54
allymcb2

no. your blinding shallowness is making you miss the point here. you accept yourself for the way you are.

if you can't bear the flab, crap nails and bad dress sense, how's about you quit being lazy and do something about it? unless you ENJOY disliking yourself, of course.

as for the other things... they're rather silly. i mean, bad accent? are you being serious here?

as for the stupid mistakes, it's part of being a human being. if you're going to cry yourself to sleep every night for all the stupid mistakes you've made, you won't enjoy life at all. you won't cope. every single being on this planet, even the dead ones, have made stupid mistakes. you're not odd for it.
Reply 55
Wasabi Tea
I must admit, I find the thought of liking myself utterly sickening. I guess that's because I feel that it's my fault that I despise myself so much - if I hadn't turned out to be an idiot, I wouldn't have come to hate myself in the first place, would I? I got myself into this situation, therefore I do not deserve anyone's sympathy or my own approval. *shrugs* That's just how I think.

(Sorry to be so depressing! ^_^; )

Quite. And I'd rather keep pursuing the money for a plastic surgeon, and berating my own idiocy, thankyou very much. Hating myself is perhaps my only virtue.
Reply 56
ph9
no. your blinding shallowness is making you miss the point here. you accept yourself for the way you are.

if you can't bear the flab, crap nails and bad dress sense, how's about you quit being lazy and do something about it? unless you ENJOY disliking yourself, of course.

as for the other things... they're rather silly. i mean, bad accent? are you being serious here?

as for the stupid mistakes, it's part of being a human being. if you're going to cry yourself to sleep every night for all the stupid mistakes you've made, you won't enjoy life at all. you won't cope. every single being on this planet, even the dead ones, have made stupid mistakes. you're not odd for it.

Its not a question of being perfect, its a question of being good enough. And I'm not, therefore I should hate myself. To do otherwise would make me a hypocrite and a dopamine junky (even more so).
I don't really like myself right now, but I'm hoping I will feel a lot better about myself next year when I go to uni.

Just try to remember there's always going to be a person who is worse off than you, and would kill to be you. I really want to change and start being someone I can be proud of.
Reply 58
Ehm... o.o; *quietly scuttles back in* just wanted to make it clear that I didn't mean it's good to hate yourself in my last post. I was just sort of trying to offer my viewpoint... thought it might make it a little easier to understand one of the reasons why people might hate themselves. Ehhhh... o.o; *hides*
even i admit that i hate myself so much that it's affected me in such a negative way. i can't comprehend people complimenting me, i have a hard time talking to people and making new friends. i've become hypersensitive now and reclusive.

but i've realised that hating myself is making me more miserable than i should be, that's why i'm trying so hard to change. it's extremely difficult, but hating myself has made me do some seriously terrible stuff and is giving me so much arbitrary depression.

and what's to say that you can't change the things you don't like about yourself? i'm trying to do that now. changing my body image, trying to be less lazy, speaking up a little more. it's so difficult and it's really painful and doesn't work all the time, but i know i need to get there. it's especially hard for me since i'm bi-polar which means sometimes the sadness comes at random. before i used to equate that with feelings of self-hate but when the lows come i just try to acknowledge that it's not because of a defect in my personality but a genetic one instead and that helps somewhat.

if you're not good enough, why not make yourself good enough? don't compare yourself to other people, just set your own standards and work up to them. like i said it's easier said than done, but just keep trying.

Latest

Trending

Trending