The Student Room Group

Do Your Teachers Wear Gowns?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Harold
I feel like I need to get this off my chest without sounding as though I am trying to have a go at someone.
I go to a school where the teachers wear gowns, there is also a chapel, we have houses, founders day, a strange uniform system, quads, a dining room, the list goes on, but every time any of these things come up in conversation it is almost guaranteed that somebody will make a comment with some sort of reference to Hogwarts.
I know it isn't meant to be offensive or derogatory or anything like that, but you really don't understand how bloody annoying it is. If every time you spoke about your school somebody made an allusion to a fictional school for bloody magicians imagine how irritated you would be.
I don't go around telling people from comprehensive schools that they go to Waterloo Road or informing someone at a girls school that they must be at St Trinians. Please just don't do it.
Seriously, it is one the single most annoying things ever.
Hogwarts can just p**s right off!

What school is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just curious for the people whose teachers do wear gowns only occasionally like my school, I am guessing your school isn't a normal comprehensive school? Mine is a grammar School so some of the weird Traditions a Public school has but still mostly just the same as a comprehensive just a lot stricter into enforcement of rules such as Girls skirts etc. Also does anyone else's school have 2 completely separate Uniforms between Boys and Girls? We have been told our school is odd for having that.
Original post by Edminzodo
What school is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a top grammar school.
If you want to know specifically I'll Private Message you with it, I'd rather not put it on a public thread.
It's a top grammar school.
If you want to know specifically I'll Private Message you with it, I'd rather not put it on a public thread.

I completely understand. I PMed you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Did you play quidditch at school? :teehee:
I feel like I need to get this off my chest without sounding as though I am trying to have a go at someone.
I go to a school where the teachers wear gowns, there is also a chapel, we have houses, founders day, a strange uniform system, quads, a dining room, the list goes on, but every time any of these things come up in conversation it is almost guaranteed that somebody will make a comment with some sort of reference to Hogwarts.
I know it isn't meant to be offensive or derogatory or anything like that, but you really don't understand how bloody annoying it is. If every time you spoke about your school somebody made an allusion to a fictional school for bloody magicians imagine how irritated you would be.
I don't go around telling people from comprehensive schools that they go to Waterloo Road or informing someone at a girls school that they must be at St Trinians. Please just don't do it.

Which house are you in...?
They only wore gowns at assembly in my school.

Lol. My school had a chapel, houses, founders' day, quads etc too, but I don't throw a hissy when someone says Hogwarts :lol:

That's because the set-up at your school is highly unusual. There are three thousand Waterloo Roads in this country and probably about 30 of your sort of school absolute maximum.

Also you are vastly privileged by going there so just shut up, grow up and take the flack, it's a small price to pay.

I went to a grammar school and I only empathised with the comprehensive school down the road who would occasionally throw insults and/or rocks at us. It was their right: broadly speaking, we were a class above them with few home problems and would go on to earn more money etc.
yes this is her leaving the staffroom

Reply 29
Headmaster does during assemblys. Senior staff do during prize giving etc...
Very rarely (surprisingly, because my school is fairly old fashioned)

In fact during Senior Prizegiving a few weeks ago, the fact the teachers were wearing gowns was the subject of much hysterical and inappropriate laughter. My head of year looked like he was wearing a dressing gown with a fluffy hood.

(So very immature.)
No! Barely any of the teachers wear formal clothes, certainly not gowns. Do teachers actually wear gowns in the 21st Century? That just sounds absolutely ridiculous. It's a flipping secondary school...

Absolutely can't stand formalities. They're completely unnecessary and they create an ugly environment of oppression and homogeneity. The world would be a much nicer place if people just chilled out, threw tradition out of the window and wore what they want.
(edited 9 years ago)
does a hoody count ?
Headmaster, Second and Third Masters always would at assemblies, any ceremonies and formal events.

Staff would at Founders' Day, particularly solemn events etc.

Otherwise no, ofc not just during the day.
Original post by Chlorophile
No! Barely any of the teachers wear formal clothes, certainly not gowns. Do teachers actually wear gowns in the 21st Century? That just sounds absolutely ridiculous. It's a flipping secondary school...

Absolutely can't stand formalities. They're completely unnecessary and they create an ugly environment of oppression and homogeneity. The world would be a much nicer place if people just chilled out, threw tradition out of the window and wore what they want.

No, it's fantastic.

OP's school sounds amazing!!! :ninja: :ninja:
Original post by scrotgrot
That's because the set-up at your school is highly unusual. There are three thousand Waterloo Roads in this country and probably about 30 of your sort of school absolute maximum.

Also you are vastly privileged by going there so just shut up, grow up and take the flack, it's a small price to pay.

I went to a grammar school and I only empathised with the comprehensive school down the road who would occasionally throw insults and/or rocks at us. It was their right: broadly speaking, we were a class above them with few home problems and would go on to earn more money etc.

I don't think it's THAT unusual?!

At my school, ahem, we had an entrance exam. So if you worked hard, like I did, you got in :smug:

It's not private school.
Original post by Penguinfarts
Just curious for the people whose teachers do wear gowns only occasionally like my school, I am guessing your school isn't a normal comprehensive school? Mine is a grammar School so some of the weird Traditions a Public school has but still mostly just the same as a comprehensive just a lot stricter into enforcement of rules such as Girls skirts etc. Also does anyone else's school have 2 completely separate Uniforms between Boys and Girls? We have been told our school is odd for having that.

Yes, in my sixth form the boys have different coloured badges on our blazers (and less maroon piping) and different ties to the girls. The girls can also wear a striped shirt instead of plain white. Also our skirts/cardigans are navy/red whereas the girls in the junior school wear grey/blue. It's all very confusing and old fashioned.

(Oh and I go to a selective grammar also but it's not like the grammar schools in England, it's like olden-days whoever passes the 11+ gets in sort of thing.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Yes, in my sixth form the boys have different coloured badges on our blazers (and less maroon piping) and different ties to the girls. The girls can also wear a striped shirt instead of plain white. Also our skirts/cardigans are navy/red whereas the girls in the junior school wear grey/blue. It's all very confusing and old fashioned.

I've never known a sixth form with a uniform. It's always been wear whatever you want providing it's appropriate.
Original post by Maid Marian
No, it's fantastic.

OP's school sounds amazing!!! :ninja: :ninja:

It's really not fantastic, I have absolutely no idea how anyone could think that. School's supposed to be a creative and open environment, not some miserable prison regimented by endless formalities.
Original post by Chlorophile

I totally agree! Formalities are ridiculous to be honest. What I find wrong is that schools are sat there forcing students of almost 19 to wear school uniforms and ban them from leaving the school building during the day. Surely they should be aiding transition to university by creating independence idk.

Quick Reply

Latest