The Student Room Group

A* is the new A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scott.M
ITT: people who went to top schools who believe As and A*s across the board at A-levels are the norm.

Isn't B/C the average grade?
Original post by imapedo
What a load of rubbish. Everyone has flawless grades? It's ALL about extra-curriculars? I bet you're only saying that cos you messed up in YOUR A-Levels, probably got 3 D's and got into a rubbish 'university' like London Met or Bolton. You're only saying this bull probably cos you're jealous of your peers who did better than you, got A*s and got into top RG universities. Loser.

I think they were trying to point out that grades don't matter that much in the world of work. Employers don't care about your A Level grades if you have a degree, and they look at a 2.1 degree from any university (even the **** ones where getting a 2.1 is like a third from other universities) as good enough.
Original post by imapedo
What a load of rubbish. Everyone has flawless grades? It's ALL about extra-curriculars? I bet you're only saying that cos you messed up in YOUR A-Levels, probably got 3 D's and got into a rubbish 'university' like London Met or Bolton. You're only saying this bull probably cos you're jealous of your peers who did better than you, got A*s and got into top RG universities. Loser.

I said everyone in the industry I aspire to go into has flawless grades. Investment Banking. I've interned in one and the only things that make someone stand out is if they went to a target/semi-target university, their extra-curriculars, their choice of degree and relevant experiences. Making A level grades pretty much redundant. The cut off point is AAB but realistically if you don't have flawless grades, you can forget it. My profile so sit yourself down with your unrecognised insults https://www.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarimali

Getting high A level grades means nothing in the whole scheme of things, it just puts you about the same level as anyone else looking to do anything imporatnt as a career.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
So getting a C is a fail? Interesting.

If someone worked hard for a C then they should be proud of themselves. Albeit in the wider scheme of things, a C is pretty ****ty in comparison. How are people able to achieve A* and someone else achieve a C. That tells prospectives that this kid is lazy.
Original post by Anonynous
If someone worked hard for a C then they should be proud of themselves. Albeit in the wider scheme of things, a C is pretty ****ty in comparison. How are people able to achieve A* and someone else achieve a C. That tells prospectives that this kid is lazy.

Or not as capable?
To say that an A* is the new C is quite frankly irrational.

The value of the grade has definitely been lost, but please have some sense of mind left when posting such statements.
Original post by EllieC130
In which case, wow I'm dumb.

You said it sister

Joke! :tongue:
Or not as capable?

I'd rather higher someone that's capable than someone not as capable. Alot of people have A*s now which means getting a C is crap in comparison.

Albeit sometimes people with lower grades are better at doing a certain job, it's all about the individual at the end of the day. If you can do the job and can do it well.. come on board. It's the stigma attached with higher A level grades meaning better candidate (which is true most of the time) leaving the cut off point very high.
Original post by President Putin
Yes. I agree.

Everyone who gets A*s now thinks that they're intellectual. That is not the case at all.

Grade inflation is a false ego booster and something that only harms those who are not as academic - yet they think they are...

Does getting A*A*A* also make you a pseudo-intellectual?
To say that an A* is the new C is quite frankly irrational.

The value of the grade has definitely been lost, but please have some sense of mind left when posting such statements.

The point being, it's not worth as much in reality to what many people seem to think. It's an individuals overall portfolio of life achievements that matters.
The point being, it's not worth as much in reality to what many people seem to think. It's an individuals overall portfolio of life achievements that matters.

Yep, I already explained what you meant before but it was ignored. :s-smilie:
Does getting A*A*A* also make you a pseudo-intellectual?

Yes if those grades were obtained in sociology, law and media studies.
For instance, I know people with A*s and are dumb as ****. Learning stuff for the sake of an end of year exam to get into university is a **** indicator of ability. That's why I say an overall profile is what counts.
Yes if those grades were obtained in sociology, law and media studies.

Biology, Religious Studies and Psychology. The first two are considered 'hard' subjects and Psychology is one of the better 'soft' ones.
Isn't B/C the average grade?

I believe so yeah.

For instance, I know people with A*s and are dumb as **** (probs inc myself). Learning stuff for the sake of an end of year exam to get into university is a **** indicator of ability. That's why I say an overall profile is what counts.

You're not as dumb as you think you are. It's just your peers are of equal intelligence. If you went to work in a minimum wage job, you'd soon realise you're one of the most intelligent there.

Also high grades suggest you're willing to put effort in - if you're not lazy at school, you probably won't be lazy at work either.
Biology, Religious Studies and Psychology. The first two are considered 'hard' subjects and Psychology is one of the better 'soft' ones.

The ability to cram in knowledge to fit the mark scheme is hardly indicative of intellectualism - no matter the perceived difficulty of the course.

A* grades are a false representation of ones intellect and that's the end of that. You're telling me that if you spent 2 years studying A-level biology and you attained an A* at the end of the course, then you're an expert in the field? Of course not.
The ability to cram in knowledge to fit the mark scheme is hardly indicative of intellectualism - no matter the perceived difficulty of the course.

A* grades are a false representation of ones intellect and that's the end of that. You're telling me that if you spent 2 years studying A-level biology and you attained an A* at the end of the course, then you're an expert in the field? Of course not.

No one is suggesting that I am an expert... I'm just more well-versed in the field than those who achieved less than an A* and didn't study biology at university...
No one is suggesting that I am an expert... I'm just more well-versed in the field than those who achieved less than an A* and didn't study biology at university...

And that's pretty much that. Hardly an intellectual.
And that's pretty much that. Hardly an intellectual.

I never said I was an intellectual though... I just considered 3 A*s to be good grades and indicate a certain level of competence what with most not coming close to that.
I never said I was an intellectual though... I just considered 3 A*s to be good grades and indicate a certain level of competence what with most not coming close to that.

You possess the competence to cram in more knowledge suited to the various AOs that each course contains.

That implies that you had the time and were actually bothered to achieve good qualifications. Congratulations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending