The Student Room Group

15 year old Army Cadet set on fire for selling poppies

This is what we have come to in the UK- 15 year old Army cadet who was selling poppies is viciously attacked and set on fire with burns to his face, hair and arms by 'Asian or Black'. Should this be classed as a hate crime? should the UK be tougher on anti British crimes like this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817653/Army-cadet-15-burned-aerosol-lighter-sold-Remembrance-Day-poppies-Manchester-city-centre.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29870960

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
certainly sounds like a hate crime, hope they catch the bastard.

Does raise an interesting question though... did the guy plan this or did he just so happen to have a lighter and aerosol can and had a eureka moment?
Reply 2
Don't see why charging him with a hate crime is going to be or should be any 'better' than charging him with assault.
surely attempted murder would be the charge ?
Original post by Drewski
Don't see why charging him with a hate crime is going to be or should be any 'better' than charging him with assault.

Because nobody buys a paper to hear about an assault. But when it's a hate crime we can't wait to vent!
Original post by Drewski

It's recognition of the motive?
Reply 6
Holy ****! I'm glad I had homework
Reply 7
Original post by Skip_Snip
It's recognition of the motive?

Why does the motive matter? It's assault. End of. Why do they need recognition?
Reply 8
Original post by Genocidal
Because nobody buys a paper to hear about an assault. But when it's a hate crime we can't wait to vent!

And to better serve the elites agenda ...Divide and Rule
Original post by H.N.I.C
And to better serve the elites agenda ...Divide and Rule

Hardly. That was already accomplished centuries ago. It's just a matter of money. People don't care about standard assault stories, so they have to be blown up to get people to pay attention and spend money on things like papers.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
Why does the motive matter? It's assault. End of. Why do they need recognition?

Motive is vital so one can work out the truth behind the action. Motive is always important to determine the gravity of the crime and what charge is appropriate. What use comes from ignoring motive? How does that help one understand fully?
This is not national news, which is concerning.

People should be outraged by this typical etiquette toward any form of loyalty, love and natural care for ones nation and identity, which is what many a 'people' despise, as they want you down in the dumps defeated, that's certainly when they won't complain, and you can trust them to push their own ideals and personal wants onto you no matter how it changes and affects you entirely, that's what you expect from self-absorbed entities.

I suspect if a woman selling hijabs was subjected to the same treatment, the nation would be ablaze with concerns about racism.
Describing the perpetrator as "Asian or black" (whatever the **** that means) is itself tantamount to a hate-crime.
Original post by Marco1
Motive is vital so one can work out the truth behind the action. Motive is always important to determine the gravity of the crime and what charge is appropriate. What use comes from ignoring motive? How does that help one understand fully?

Yes, but not to the point where the motive overrides the crime. It's assault. Use the motive to determine guilt by all means. But assault is assault, no one type is 'better' or 'worse' than any other.
Original post by Profesh
Describing the perpetrator as "Asian or black" (whatever the **** that means) is itself tantamount to a hate-crime.

Please do not refer to the Nazis as German in that case.
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
Yes, but not to the point where the motive overrides the crime. It's assault. Use the motive to determine guilt by all means. But assault is assault, no one type is 'better' or 'worse' than any other.

I have to disagree entirely. The intention/motive determines the seriousness of assault. For example if the assault was a response from fear of one's life after being threatened with death by someone holding a knife. These matters are integral to the crime incident and mitigate accordingly, the gravity of the crime.
Original post by Catholic_
Please do not refer to the Nazis as German in that case.

The irony of that sentiment being elicited by a comment on the pervasive and unwarranted social stigma arising from over-zealous racial-profiling on the part of the gutter press is simply hilarious: you might as well describe the perpetrator as 'jewish or black' for all the difference it would make.
Original post by Marco1
I have to disagree entirely. The intention/motive determines the seriousness of assault. For example if the assault was a response from fear of one's life after being threatened with death by someone holding a knife. These matters are integral to the crime incident and mitigate accordingly, the gravity of the crime.

No. A crime's a crime. Self defence, as in your example, is not (or rather, should not be) a crime. An unprovoked assault like the one in question, is.

The motive behind the assault doesn't change the fact it's an assault. An assault is a crime. Why should there be any more to it than that?
Described as "black or asian".

I'm going to go for Pakistani Muslim.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know if we can yet confirm this was a hate crime, but it is nonetheless a despicable act of violence. I hope the kid wasn't too badly hurt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending