The Student Room Group

Fine Art 2015 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by meganabcdefg
Erm I haven't actually counted but I'm aiming to put in about 20 pieces probably as I don't want to put in tooo many! What about you? And I've been advised by my course leaders and on a couple of open days not to put stuff in plastic wallets as it reflects light etc so might obscure how they see your work. So I'm just going for presentation sheets! :smile:

What sort of work do you do (like painting/media/sculpture)? Thank you! I am really nervous already haha! Oh nice! Europe sounds good - I really want to travel more around Europe. On my gap year I did a bit of portfolio work and just worked a bit to get some money to pay for my foundation course haha. Before that I actually did Law for a year!

I'm at Oxford Brookes at the moment! Really enjoying the course there :smile:

Yes I'm thinking the same, because when you have too much to look through, it starts to take away from the work itself I think. Well I need to get a few things printed on a larger scale, but I have around 15 at the moment. Yes that's very true, I was told similar advice from previous tutors which is why I decided to go with the presentation sheets at the time.

I'm interested in a mixture between film, performance, photography and sculpture I'd say, but I like to paint & draw in the development stages too... how about you? I'm sure it'll be fine, just be confident and go for it! :smile:

No that's great, and a good experience to have had I'm sure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Have any of you applied to Glasgow? If so, are you doing the mini portfolio?
have any Chelsea BA fine art applicants got an interview yet? I submitted my mini portfolio quite a while ago and I'm really eager to hear from them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by AnnieLS
have any Chelsea BA fine art applicants got an interview yet? I submitted my mini portfolio quite a while ago and I'm really eager to hear from them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Same here. I rushed it and uploaded the portfolio straight away. Now I wish I waited until the last moment.
Original post by eei
Nope. Same here. I rushed it and uploaded the portfolio straight away. Now I wish I waited until the last moment.

I uploaded mine right at the deadline, but only had two days to prepare it because my work was at college over Christmas 😣 I'm really worried it's not strong enough or that it's not the style of work they're looking for as I haven't done a foundation course, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by AnnieLS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Today I had an email from admissions saying that they couldn't see my Flickr album, to which I sent another link which hopefully works, but in the email she said they will be reviewing portfolios this week, so I imagine they will start asking people for interviews very soon!
Original post by Coco-
Today I had an email from admissions saying that they couldn't see my Flickr album, to which I sent another link which hopefully works, but in the email she said they will be reviewing portfolios this week, so I imagine they will start asking people for interviews very soon!

Ah okay thanks! I'm so nervous :|

Were you happy with your online portfolio, I've been struggling to find many fine art Flickr examples so I have no idea if what I've done is right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coco-

I haven't heard yet either and neither has anyone else on my course! Hopefully we will hear back this week/ next week then!

Good luck to everybody!
Reply 48
Original post by AnnieLS
I uploaded mine right at the deadline, but only had two days to prepare it because my work was at college over Christmas 😣 I'm really worried it's not strong enough or that it's not the style of work they're looking for as I haven't done a foundation course, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they're looking for a particular style, medium or skill. It's more about the way you work, research and develop the ideas.
Reply 49
Original post by AnnieLS
Ah okay thanks! I'm so nervous :|

Were you happy with your online portfolio, I've been struggling to find many fine art Flickr examples so I have no idea if what I've done is right.

No worries! :smile:

Umm, kind of - I'm thinking now I could have included a little more development work, but I guess I'm just glad that it's finally sent off haha! Same here, but I imagine there isn't really a right or a wrong way of doing things, I guess it comes down to our processes and concepts - and preferences of the admissions team too... Are you happy with yours?
Hi :smile:
It's my first time writing a post on student room! haha
I'm also applying to Fine Art this year at the Slade, CSM, Chelsea, Loughborough and Kingston.
I had my interview for Kingston last Wednesday.. and got an offer on Saturday! If anyone else is applying to Kingston, I can let you know on what the interview was like (main reason I'm posting here:smile:).
I haven't heard back from Chelsea either.. quite worrying :'(
Original post by yaejinhong96
Hi :smile:
It's my first time writing a post on student room! haha
I'm also applying to Fine Art this year at the Slade, CSM, Chelsea, Loughborough and Kingston.
I had my interview for Kingston last Wednesday.. and got an offer on Saturday! If anyone else is applying to Kingston, I can let you know on what the interview was like (main reason I'm posting here:smile:).
I haven't heard back from Chelsea either.. quite worrying :'(

Heyy I'm applying to kingston too! But have literally only just sent off my eportfolio! Congrats on getting an offer :biggrin: what was the interview like?!
I'm a little comforted by the fact no one seems to have heard back from chelsea yet... Hopefully will hear soon!
Heyy I'm applying to kingston too! But have literally only just sent off my eportfolio! Congrats on getting an offer :biggrin: what was the interview like?!
I'm a little comforted by the fact no one seems to have heard back from chelsea yet... Hopefully will hear soon!

Thank you! :smile:
Well it was around eight of us. We were taken to 'the Swan'(?) which is where we got interviewed. Three of us went in at a time into a room where there were three tables (like one on each side), and we put our portfolios on there. It was a mixture of staff and students interviewing - kinda just felt like talking to my art teacher! I was asked to show which work I thought was most successful and I just talked about it then linked to my other works whilst another staff just kept looking through my portfolio and sketchbooks! It was reaaaally informal and casual :smile: It was really short though, they said fifteen minutes but it literally felt like five haha
I sent my eportfolio in December haha and I was told I was the first round of interviews so I'm sure they'll get back to you soooon!! We were then given a tour around the uni by a third grad student who told us 10000 apply and 800 get interviews for 80 places.. which freaked us all out haha
I hope this has helped... I've literally been stalking SR fine art pages for info but never offered any, so I feel less guilty now :')
Where's your first choice? :smile:
Original post by Coco-
Yes I'm thinking the same, because when you have too much to look through, it starts to take away from the work itself I think. Well I need to get a few things printed on a larger scale, but I have around 15 at the moment. Yes that's very true, I was told similar advice from previous tutors which is why I decided to go with the presentation sheets at the time.

I'm interested in a mixture between film, performance, photography and sculpture I'd say, but I like to paint & draw in the development stages too... how about you? I'm sure it'll be fine, just be confident and go for it! :smile:

No that's great, and a good experience to have had I'm sure.

I'd say I'm probably interested in a mixture of photography, digital media and drawing/painting also! My tutors said before to aim for between 20-30 sheets but I'm probably going to go more towards the 20 end because I'd rather have like 20 good sheets than 30 sheets with some mediocre work in haha! How many sketchbooks are you putting in?

Good luck!
Original post by yaejinhong96
Thank you! :smile:
Well it was around eight of us. We were taken to 'the Swan'(?) which is where we got interviewed. Three of us went in at a time into a room where there were three tables (like one on each side), and we put our portfolios on there. It was a mixture of staff and students interviewing - kinda just felt like talking to my art teacher! I was asked to show which work I thought was most successful and I just talked about it then linked to my other works whilst another staff just kept looking through my portfolio and sketchbooks! It was reaaaally informal and casual :smile: It was really short though, they said fifteen minutes but it literally felt like five haha
I sent my eportfolio in December haha and I was told I was the first round of interviews so I'm sure they'll get back to you soooon!! We were then given a tour around the uni by a third grad student who told us 10000 apply and 800 get interviews for 80 places.. which freaked us all out haha
I hope this has helped... I've literally been stalking SR fine art pages for info but never offered any, so I feel less guilty now :')
Where's your first choice? :smile:

Oh wow! That's so many people applying ahh! Really well done for the offer then! :smile: Did they ask you any other questions other than about your most successful work? And so although you went into a room with 3 other people you still had like an interview on your own it wasn't like a group interview?

So nervous for my first interview in a couple of weeks time! Have you had any interviews anywhere else yet?

Erm I think Slade would be my top choice but I know how difficult it is to get in there so I'm not pinning all my hopes on there! I think Wimbledon might be my second favourite and then Kingston/Chelsea. What about you?

Haha yeah I have stalked SR pages so much too! What sort of work are you into? :smile:
Oh wow! That's so many people applying ahh! Really well done for the offer then! :smile: Did they ask you any other questions other than about your most successful work? And so although you went into a room with 3 other people you still had like an interview on your own it wasn't like a group interview?

So nervous for my first interview in a couple of weeks time! Have you had any interviews anywhere else yet?

Erm I think Slade would be my top choice but I know how difficult it is to get in there so I'm not pinning all my hopes on there! I think Wimbledon might be my second favourite and then Kingston/Chelsea. What about you?

Haha yeah I have stalked SR pages so much too! What sort of work are you into? :smile:

Erm, well for me the guy asked for my successful work then I just went on about what influenced me and gradually linked them to my other works! He also asked 'Why Kingston?' and just specific things about my works like the size haha
It's not a group interview cos I couldn't really see the other two people anyway. It was literally a casual convo between you and the staff. :smile:

Ahh good luck!! I have one for Loughborough mid-Feb and yet to hear from the others :smile:

Slade is my top too! Although, like you said, it's so competitive :'( then Chelsea and CSM for me! I haven't done a foundation so I'm applying to foundations as well :smile: (csm and kingston).

I really like mixed media/ texture but I like painting and installation as well :smile: most of my works are based on my cultural identity so I talked about that a lot in my interview! What are you into? :smile:
Original post by yaejinnn96
Erm, well for me the guy asked for my successful work then I just went on about what influenced me and gradually linked them to my other works! He also asked 'Why Kingston?' and just specific things about my works like the size haha
It's not a group interview cos I couldn't really see the other two people anyway. It was literally a casual convo between you and the staff. :smile:

Ahh good luck!! I have one for Loughborough mid-Feb and yet to hear from the others :smile:

Slade is my top too! Although, like you said, it's so competitive :'( then Chelsea and CSM for me! I haven't done a foundation so I'm applying to foundations as well :smile: (csm and kingston).

I really like mixed media/ texture but I like painting and installation as well :smile: most of my works are based on my cultural identity so I talked about that a lot in my interview! What are you into? :smile:

Ahh okay that makes sense! Thank you so much for the advice :smile: Good luck for your interview too - and fingers crossed we hear back from other places soon!

Ah wow - congrats on getting a place without doing a Foundation! You must be really awesome haha. I didn't even apply to degree courses without doing a foundation - I'm currently doing one at Oxford Brookes.

Ermm I'm really into digital media like manipulations and digital painting as well as normal painting and photography etc - quite a mix of things!

I hate how long the process of applying to Art courses are haha - so much waiting around painfully :P
Reply 57
I'd say I'm probably interested in a mixture of photography, digital media and drawing/painting also! My tutors said before to aim for between 20-30 sheets but I'm probably going to go more towards the 20 end because I'd rather have like 20 good sheets than 30 sheets with some mediocre work in haha! How many sketchbooks are you putting in?

Good luck!

Ah that sounds great! No that's very true, and I'd say around 20 sheets is quite a nice number really - not too little or too much. I'm still a little undecided, but I have two notebook/sketchbooks which I used for my final project of my foundation which I think I'll include, and possibly another from some development work during workshops. Will you be including any?
Ahh okay that makes sense! Thank you so much for the advice :smile: Good luck for your interview too - and fingers crossed we hear back from other places soon!

Ah wow - congrats on getting a place without doing a Foundation! You must be really awesome haha. I didn't even apply to degree courses without doing a foundation - I'm currently doing one at Oxford Brookes.

Ermm I'm really into digital media like manipulations and digital painting as well as normal painting and photography etc - quite a mix of things!

I hate how long the process of applying to Art courses are haha - so much waiting around painfully :P

Ahh thank you!! :smile:
Oh wow that's so cool! We don't do much photography at school so hopefully I'll get to experiment in uni :smile:

Ikr :frown: all my other non-art friends have got their offers and know where they'll be in a few months.. And then there's me just painfully waiting. :'( hopefully this will be worth the wait!
Anyone heard from Chelsea yet? 😬

Quick Reply

Latest