The Student Room Group

Module grades were wrongly weighted...

Hi All,

I've completed my last module a couple of months ago (doing a distance learning top-up degree at a brick uni) and, in my opinion, the grade has been calculated wrongly.

The module handbook stated that three assignment marks are weighted 20%, 20% and 60% and, when I got my final grade, it seems that the first assignment was weighted 20% but the second and third assignment marks were added together and then weighted 80%, i.e. assignment 2 and 3 were carrying the same weight which is clearly not in line with the handbook.

In line with our uni regulations I have contacted my programme leader to make him aware of this and to find out if he can resolve this before officially appealing.
Heard nothing back and chased again after a couple of weeks as we're only able to appeal for 21 days (and I had planned to do this). Was told they'd look into it but heard nothing since.

Unfortunately, I then had to go abroad at very short notice as a close family member died and missed the deadline for an appeal.

Since, I have sent another couple of emails to the programme leader without any response. Also contacted the Student Union - no response either. Tried to call as well - no answer. :mad:

I'm really annoyed about this - it's been six weeks now since my first email and the least I would expect is an update on what's going on.

Apart from letting off steam :unimpressed:

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what was done if the grade was calculated wrongly? What's my chance of getting this corrected?

What would you do next?

Original post by Silverblue
Hi All,

I've completed my last module a couple of months ago (doing a distance learning top-up degree at a brick uni) and, in my opinion, the grade has been calculated wrongly.

The module handbook stated that three assignment marks are weighted 20%, 20% and 60% and, when I got my final grade, it seems that the first assignment was weighted 20% but the second and third assignment marks were added together and then weighted 80%, i.e. assignment 2 and 3 were carrying the same weight which is clearly not in line with the handbook.

In line with our uni regulations I have contacted my programme leader to make him aware of this and to find out if he can resolve this before officially appealing.
Heard nothing back and chased again after a couple of weeks as we're only able to appeal for 21 days (and I had planned to do this). Was told they'd look into it but heard nothing since.

Unfortunately, I then had to go abroad at very short notice as a close family member died and missed the deadline for an appeal.

Since, I have sent another couple of emails to the programme leader without any response. Also contacted the Student Union - no response either. Tried to call as well - no answer. :mad:

I'm really annoyed about this - it's been six weeks now since my first email and the least I would expect is an update on what's going on.

Apart from letting off steam :unimpressed:

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what was done if the grade was calculated wrongly? What's my chance of getting this corrected?

What would you do next?

I had a similar situation, with one of my chemistry modules. I informed them that I'd be missing out on one of the in-class tests, which was worth 40%...

When it came to the official results, the module leader didn't take anything into account, so I sent him an email, but I didn't get a response. I'm not a very patient person, so after a couple of calculations to make sure I was right, I went straight to his office. He wasn't pleased at all to be told that he did his calculations wrong, but he corrected it in the end, like after a couple of days later.

I don't know what your chances are, but if it would make a huge difference in the final mark, then I would chase the module leader about it. So the person who marked the test, and gave you the mark. I wouldn't be very happy if I were in your shoes, and I really do hope you get this sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest