The Student Room Group

Canadian universities applicants 2014-15

I haven't seen a thread for this year's applicants, so I thought I might start one so we can help each other out! Feel free to introduce yourselves etc :smile:

I'm applying to McGill and UofT, by the way.
Hi, I'm also considering applying to the same places as you! The only issue I'm currently having is funding. It's looking pretty expensive, especially at UofT.

How are you planning to fund all of your expenses? I know each university offer scholarships and grants, but from my research I'm still going to have to come up with an awful lot of cash.
Original post by DarrenPratleyGOD
Hi, I'm also considering applying to the same places as you! The only issue I'm currently having is funding. It's looking pretty expensive, especially at UofT.

How are you planning to fund all of your expenses? I know each university offer scholarships and grants, but from my research I'm still going to have to come up with an awful lot of cash.

Hi there.

It is understandable that many universities like U of T are expensive for international students, but there are other universities that offer cheaper tuition fees. For example, you can look at U of Ottawa or York University, which offers tuition fees at approximately half of U of T's tuition fees and offers some generous scholarships for international students. Other universities similarly offer similar fee schemes for international students.

If you don't mind the reputation at all, I would even recommend going to Memorial University. Their programs are funded by the province, which brings their tuition fees down to around a third of U of T's tuition fees. You can check it out here: http://www.mun.ca/undergrad/admissions/fees/.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the help!

I was actually looking into York as well and I'll definitely take at look at the others. My number 1 choice though is probably Mcgill. It's much cheaper than U of T and having researched it in depth, I really like the sound of it. Do you have any advice or info regarding Mcgill?
Reply 4

I'm a Canadian citizen (born and lived in Toronto for a few years) so I qualify as a domestic student, but I agree with you about the funding- not being able to get student loans like those in the UK is going to be difficult.

Montreal is one of my favourite cities, so I'm really excited to be applying to McGill :')
Thanks for the help!

I was actually looking into York as well and I'll definitely take at look at the others. My number 1 choice though is probably Mcgill. It's much cheaper than U of T and having researched it in depth, I really like the sound of it. Do you have any advice or info regarding Mcgill?

Depends on what you would like to know about McGill. Are you looking for something specific?
Hi guys.

I need some advice.I am considering to apply for biochemistry at Mcgill I have following AS level grades: bio A,chem A, physics B ,Maths C.When i spoke to my school counselor in this regard she told me I will not be accepted by Mcgill since I have a C grade in Maths. Btw, i will be giving a retake of As maths along with A2 maths in June 2015, if i improve my grade.Then what are my chances.

Can somebody please shed some light upon this matter.
Reply 7
Original post by alivirgo96
Hi guys.

I need some advice.I am considering to apply for biochemistry at Mcgill I have following AS level grades: bio A,chem A, physics B ,Maths C.When i spoke to my school counselor in this regard she told me I will not be accepted by Mcgill since I have a C grade in Maths. Btw, i will be giving a retake of As maths along with A2 maths in June 2015, if i improve my grade.Then what are my chances.

Can somebody please shed some light upon this matter.

Obviously your counselor knows more about your specific situation and more about UK students at McGill on the whole... But I'd say if you improved your mark from a C, you'd definitely have a shot. If you have a B I think you'd have a decent chance actually.
Reply 8
Thanks for the help!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on studying? It's easier to recommend universities based on programs. York, for example, I wouldn't recommend for a lot of subject areas. U of T and McGill are two really good universities, and York is decent... But it definitely isn't considered up there with the previous two.
Hi guys! I'm applying to uni of Toronto for arts and sciences and uni of British columbia for their international economics program probably. I was thinking of Mcgill but I don't really fancy living in Quebec...Canada is very expensive but ill be paying international fees for the Uk as well so really not that much difference haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending