The Student Room Group

I was naive...

Resolved
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by myaccount
I think I ****ed up.

A 20 years old I'm doing an Access Course in Humanities. I enrolled in the course with intention to apply to universities such as Newcastle, York, KCL and Warwick. The Access Course emerged as the ideal option following of my short comings at A-Level, something I attribute to issues regarding my mental health. I was convinced that, provided I put in the work, I'd achieve the necessary grades and have a decent shot at applying to a highly ranked university.

In hindsight, that all seems incredibly naive.

I have little to no relevant experience in the subject I wish to study. Just 2 years of poor academic performance followed by one year of doing nothing. No job, no work experience. Unaccomplished and unappealing.

I feel like, shy off getting a distinction in every single assessment, I'm going to be a significantly weaker than just about every other candidate applying at the universities at this level.

My question is, would it be wiser to set the bar lower with my choices?

What do you plan on studying? Maybe only apply to one or two of the universities mentioned and some less selective ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It is quite early days yet.

If you do put in the effort there is still plenty of time to meet the requirements of at least some of those universities.

I personally applied to Warwick and got accepted from an Access course. I had to work my ass off to get the grades they wanted, but if it is what you really want to do then it is worth it. Ultimately I chose Bristol (another good uni) because of the support they offered me.

I am now studying law. I have no experience of working in the legal profession and I didn't start the Access course until I was 22.

It is always worth having one back-up uni with lowish entry requirements (for me it was UWE and Reading) but there is nothing wrong with aiming high.
While you can maybe resubmit your choices I personally would, what I've done is I've applied to two lower unis just asking for 45 passes (sheffield hallam, nott trent) then I've applied for good unis (sheff, nott) then i've applied for a uni I'd love to go to but will be harder to get in (York) I'd choose atleast one with lower entry requirements even if you know you can achieve more than the uni's asking just as a back up, then choose an average one and then your true choices just to be on the safe side otherwise you might of done all this work for nothing! though remember you don't have to get the EXACT credits in distinctions etc that they want, it would be ideal but you do get accepted into unis if you haven't gained what they are asking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending