The Student Room Group

Is it ok to wear a sport bra if I have untoned belly?

I'm starting to attend a gym and I'm wondering would it be ok to wear a sport bra with no shirt on it? I find it easier to exercise in such way. But the problem is that I have untoned belly. In fact my belly hangs over my pants for an inch or so. :frown: I worry wouldn't it be considered rude to show it such way?
I'd be safe and go with a T-shirt, nothing to do with your belly but even those without a toned belly can make things awkward by not covering up. It'd be a bit like a guy in the gym topless, just awkward for all. Plus more heat will be insulated around your stomach making it better in the long run (negligible none the less, but every little helps)
Reply 2
No one wants to see over hang. Cover it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only if i can poke it n pretend ur pregnant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I think anyone wearing just a sports bra is weird, I wouldn't go to the gym in my boxers even though they'd be less in the way than shorts. However if you want to then do it, you either care what people think or you don't.
Why? Just wear a t shirt. Personally I think girls who go to the gym in little sports bras and shorts are doing it purely for attention. There's no reason for it. It's like guys going topless or in a speedo.
Toned belly or not, I don't think it's a good idea and looks quite tacky and desperate for attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizza
I'm starting to attend a gym and I'm wondering would it be ok to wear a sport bra with no shirt on it? I find it easier to exercise in such way. But the problem is that I have untoned belly. In fact my belly hangs over my pants for an inch or so. :frown: I worry wouldn't it be considered rude to show it such way?

A lot of gyms have dress codes which prohibit working out topless or just in a sports bra, so check the rules at your gym. Also, it's generally just politer to cover up - you can buy close fitting gym tops which don't get in the way. :yy:
it's more polite to cover up, I've gone out running in just a sports bra but only when it's really hot and I'm heading to less populated places... no one will work out in the gym in just a sports bra
I hate working out in 'proper' clothes, I'm much more comfortable in hot pants and a bra. I sweat A LOT (an abnormal amount) so I find tops very uncomfortable. If people don't like that then tough.

I know when my mother used to work out she only ever wore a bra but she had washboard abs and didn't care whether it was the gym or running in public!
Reply 10
I prefer to hide...
Original post by RachaelBee
I hate working out in 'proper' clothes, I'm much more comfortable in hot pants and a bra. I sweat A LOT (an abnormal amount) so I find tops very uncomfortable. If people don't like that then tough.

I know when my mother used to work out she only ever wore a bra but she had washboard abs and didn't care whether it was the gym or running in public!

I just don't think working out in skimpy clothes is necessary or appropriate tbh. If you sweat you're gonna still sweat in a thin loose top or bare skin. It makes no difference. Thin, breathable fabrics are better than tight spandex or nylon anyway. You don't see guys topless in the gym so I don't think women should wear practically underwear (not to mention you wouldn't even be allowed into most gyms dressed like that)
I wear leggings to show off my bum and bulge.

So, meh, do what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest