The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serentonin
GOODLUCK :woo:

Oooo exciting, what are you applying for?

Yisss. Oxford or Imperial have the two programs I like the most tbh, although I'm gonna lose my first so ****ing fast if I don't pull my finger out this year haha :erm: My supervisor wants me to apply for his one in Ex, its a brilliant program and we get on so well but I'm not sure I want another 4 years in Exeter :erm:

Thanks :smile: Doesn't help that I'm not too keen on the job, but I need money tbh. I know that work should be about getting money etc. however when the money isn't even brilliant you wonder what you're gaining :erm:

Applying for a masters in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing. Applying as it will allow me to extent my modelling skills to more work life situations. Would go if 1. I got an offer 2. I could pay for it and 3. I don't get a grad scheme I wanted :tongue: (I would go to boost job prospects)

I'm assuming it's for PhDs? Would they be fully funded? I know what you mean about being at your uni for too long, do you like Exeter though? And do you know what the atmosphere is like for postgrads? That is an important factor imo
Reply 61
4000 words done!

physiology and genetics completed :woo:
I'm so so behind its actually painful. I have a presentation this morning which, quite frankly, I'm gonna have to wing. I'm behind on all my lecture reading, background reading, secondary ****ing reading and I just don't know how I got myself in this situation, or how the **** I'm gonna solve it all.

Dating someone you're living with is ****ing weird. And time consuming. And everytime I ****ing fall for someone I manage to **** up everything else in my life until I get the balance right again. I was such a good student last year, low stress, so organised, no writing a presentation an hour before I have to give it.... and now... just no. I'm awful and I have a to-do list the length of my arm.

Someone give me a massive kick up the backside and tell me to stop being such a ****ing lovestruck puppy and be a damn good bioinformatician and do my ****ing coding and all of my lecture work :erm: :puppyeyes:

:suith: love you all.

The question is: what will you do if it ends badly between you two?

I'm by no means better.. I'm currently dating a really nice girl and spending a lot of (way too much) time with her, she's moving house soon and we'll practically be neighbours then - but she'll move back home, far, FAAAAR away (i.e. more than half a day on the plane haha) in 2 months. :colonhash: sigh.

First exam went okay, wasn't too bad. Practical exam tomorrow. By the rate my health's declining, i'll either have to stick tissues or tampons up my nose because I won't be able to touch my face with gloves on :colonhash: Greeeaat.
Reply 63
Original post by Slowbro93

Applying for a masters in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing. Applying as it will allow me to extent my modelling skills to more work life situations. Would go if 1. I got an offer 2. I could pay for it and 3. I don't get a grad scheme I wanted :tongue: (I would go to boost job prospects)

ooh Good luck!

Original post by BeyondandAbove

First exam went okay, wasn't too bad. Practical exam tomorrow. By the rate my health's declining, i'll either have to stick tissues or tampons up my nose because I won't be able to touch my face with gloves on :colonhash: Greeeaat.

Sorry to hear about your cold, but I found it helpful to carry out the lab session (if it's a biology one) next to an open window where you'll be able to get continuous fresh air.

------

Been a productive day today, went through a couple of papers and I actually understand what I'm reading! Wanted to spend tonight with the boy, but he's spending it with his family, told him that I was alright with it, since he hasn't seen his family in ages, but still...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mahad1912
Why do I have to get ill during reading week ffs

Posted fromTSR Mobile

First midterm tomorrow. Got up early to revise, but I'm still feeling like utter ****. Body, get your act together. :colonhash:

I'm ill too, it sucks. I hate how this time of the year seems to always equal 'feel like utter ****'. Hope you guys feel better soon (and I hope your midterm went well BaA! :smile:)

Original post by Antifazian
Got a part-time job interview this morning, then I must get my assignment finished and stop procrastinating over it :redface:

How did it go? :awesome:

Original post by Vitamin D
Presentation in about 2 hours, group is so unorganised :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feel your pain. I had my presentation today (it was a group one, there were three of us). The third girl emails me this morning at 7am saying her computer is broken so she can't add her slides onto the presentation (this was after I worked 9 hours in the library yesterday and stayed up until 3am to finish my stuff). She only replied to my original email (from last Thursday) about the project yesterday as well :lol:. Luckily when we told our tutor (we had to tell her in person, the girl didn't even show to class), she was very understanding and said we should just go ahead anyway and she'd look at what we'd done rather than it as a whole. It went well, luckily, but it was a bit annoying. I'm just glad my tutor acknowledged it wasn't our fault and didn't shout at us for not having it finalised sooner (we would have but you know, she didn't reply at all until the day before the deadline and I don't have her on FB or anything...)

Moron.
I'm so so behind its actually painful. I have a presentation this morning which, quite frankly, I'm gonna have to wing. I'm behind on all my lecture reading, background reading, secondary ****ing reading and I just don't know how I got myself in this situation, or how the **** I'm gonna solve it all.

Dating someone you're living with is ****ing weird. And time consuming. And everytime I ****ing fall for someone I manage to **** up everything else in my life until I get the balance right again. I was such a good student last year, low stress, so organised, no writing a presentation an hour before I have to give it.... and now... just no. I'm awful and I have a to-do list the length of my arm.

Someone give me a massive kick up the backside and tell me to stop being such a ****ing lovestruck puppy and be a damn good bioinformatician and do my ****ing coding and all of my lecture work :erm: :puppyeyes:

:suith: love you all.

OMG you two are dating now?! :awesome:. This is so cuuuuuuuuute, I love it!

I'm pretty behind as well, I'm gonna start locking myself away in the library for a set number of hours each week because otherwise I just go to my bf's house and chill and then don't want to leave and do **** all work :rofl:

Our lives :suith:
Original post by MyName??!
ooh Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your cold, but I found it helpful to carry out the lab session (if it's a biology one) next to an open window where you'll be able to get continuous fresh air.

------

Been a productive day today, went through a couple of papers and I actually understand what I'm reading! Wanted to spend tonight with the boy, but he's spending it with his family, told him that I was alright with it, since he hasn't seen his family in ages, but still...

How's things going with you and your boyf? :awesome:

I love this, it's so cute.
Reply 67
Original post by snailsareslimy
How's things going with you and your boyf? :awesome:

I love this, it's so cute.

Spoiler

Reply 68
88% on a formative biochemistry test :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by lilGem
88% on a formative biochemistry test :biggrin:

Nice, congrats! :h:
The question is: what will you do if it ends badly between you two?

Hide for the remainder of the year at a friends? :erm: I really didn't think this through...

I'm by no means better.. I'm currently dating a really nice girl and spending a lot of (way too much) time with her, she's moving house soon and we'll practically be neighbours then - but she'll move back home, far, FAAAAR away (i.e. more than half a day on the plane haha) in 2 months. :colonhash: sigh.

Awww :suith: Sounds lovely, make the most of it while it lasts but try and not end up too heartbroken when she leaves :hugs:

OMG you two are dating now?! :awesome:. This is so cuuuuuuuuute, I love it!

I'm pretty behind as well, I'm gonna start locking myself away in the library for a set number of hours each week because otherwise I just go to my bf's house and chill and then don't want to leave and do **** all work :rofl:

Our lives :suith:

I KNOW RIGHT WHAAAAAT. We were lying there the other day and he was all like "I really like you y'know. And not in the way you like cake or something :colondollar:" haaa, seeing as this was supposed to just be sex I really wasn't expecting something like that to come from it. He knows I'm a commitment phobic douche currently so seems to have settled on dating rather than anything else haha.. one step at a time :redface:.

Awwww, so glad you and your boy are still cute and loved up :suith: We should probably do work though :erm: although that seems a lot less appealing...

:suith:
Original post by Slowbro93
Thanks :smile: Doesn't help that I'm not too keen on the job, but I need money tbh. I know that work should be about getting money etc. however when the money isn't even brilliant you wonder what you're gaining :erm:

I'm assuming it's for PhDs? Would they be fully funded? I know what you mean about being at your uni for too long, do you like Exeter though? And do you know what the atmosphere is like for postgrads? That is an important factor imo

Awww, thats not good :frown: hope you get it anyway haha :yy:

Ooooh sounds fun :p: What kinda grad schemes are you looking at anyway?

Yeaaah PhD, mmm fun, yeah fully funded with a fairly reasonable allowance (especially compared to sfe money anyway haha) I do like Exeter, I have a couple friends who are masters students here and they seem to enjoy it, but theyre based at the other campus :erm:
Next exam tomorrow, can literally say that I'm going to fail this one! This year has made me realise how much I dislike pure maths, so considering the module is the purest one we could have this year, I've almost given up hope in it. :redface:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Next exam tomorrow, can literally say that I'm going to fail this one! This year has made me realise how much I dislike pure maths, so considering the module is the purest one we could have this year, I've almost given up hope in it. :redface:

What's the module about?
Original post by rayquaza17
What's the module about?

Group theory, Ring theory and number theory mainly but to be more specific about groups we learn:
-Basic concepts
-Finite Abelian groups
-Cosets and Lagrange's theorem
- Normal subgroups
-Quotient groups
-Isomorphism theorems
And the derived subgroup and the centre

Rings covers:
-Basic concepts
-Ideals (lots on this) and Ring homorphisms
-Euclidean and polynomial rings
And the group of units

We've only just finished the groups section and my head both understands it but also doesn't at the same time, so tomorrow won't be pleasant
Original post by MathsNerd1
Group theory, Ring theory and number theory mainly but to be more specific about groups we learn:
-Basic concepts
-Finite Abelian groups
-Cosets and Lagrange's theorem
- Normal subgroups
-Quotient groups
-Isomorphism theorems
And the derived subgroup and the centre

Rings covers:
-Basic concepts
-Ideals (lots on this) and Ring homorphisms
-Euclidean and polynomial rings
And the group of units

We've only just finished the groups section and my head both understands it but also doesn't at the same time, so tomorrow won't be pleasant

Sounds scary tbh!

We do a module next semester about rings, "Multiple examples of rings and fields, including polynomial rings, Zn, and complex number rings. Applications to the study of polynomials, their roots and their factorisation. Factorisation in rings."

I'm still doing that linear algebra course about vector spaces and that lot - it's just getting harder and harder :'(

I don't mind pure maths that much (so far that is!). Statistics on the other hand...... :angry::angry:
[Although I actually like the statistical inference course we are doing - it actually makes perfect sense to me! :O]

Good luck for tomorrow anyway!
Original post by MyName??!
ooh Good luck!

------

Microbiology lab, not entirely sure if I can open the window because everyone else will be cold haha. I'll just suck it up, it's only gonna be 3 hours. (:

You'll get to see him over the weekend though, yes? yes?

I'm ill too, it sucks. I hate how this time of the year seems to always equal 'feel like utter ****'. Hope you guys feel better soon (and I hope your midterm went well BaA! :smile:)

How did it go? :awesome:

Feel your pain. I had my presentation today (it was a group one, there were three of us). The third girl emails me this morning at 7am saying her computer is broken so she can't add her slides onto the presentation (this was after I worked 9 hours in the library yesterday and stayed up until 3am to finish my stuff). She only replied to my original email (from last Thursday) about the project yesterday as well :lol:. Luckily when we told our tutor (we had to tell her in person, the girl didn't even show to class), she was very understanding and said we should just go ahead anyway and she'd look at what we'd done rather than it as a whole. It went well, luckily, but it was a bit annoying. I'm just glad my tutor acknowledged it wasn't our fault and didn't shout at us for not having it finalised sooner (we would have but you know, she didn't reply at all until the day before the deadline and I don't have her on FB or anything...)

Moron.

Thanks! It did.. hopefully haha.

That would piss me off so much. How can someone be so irresponsible? I don't get it. I'm glad your tutor understood, too, and I would have done the same thing in this situation.

Hide for the remainder of the year at a friends? :erm: I really didn't think this through...

Awww :suith: Sounds lovely, make the most of it while it lasts but try and not end up too heartbroken when she leaves :hugs:

I KNOW RIGHT WHAAAAAT. We were lying there the other day and he was all like "I really like you y'know. And not in the way you like cake or something :colondollar:" haaa, seeing as this was supposed to just be sex I really wasn't expecting something like that to come from it. He knows I'm a commitment phobic douche currently so seems to have settled on dating rather than anything else haha.. one step at a time :redface:.

Awwww, so glad you and your boy are still cute and loved up :suith: We should probably do work though :erm: although that seems a lot less appealing...

:suith:

Aaww, that is so cute, though! So how did it all begin anyways? Not sure if you have mentioned it anywhere, but I didn't see it.. and I'm curious haha.

I will try! She does want to come back, sooo... maybe I'll only have to wait until summer haha!
Original post by rayquaza17
Sounds scary tbh!

We do a module next semester about rings, "Multiple examples of rings and fields, including polynomial rings, Zn, and complex number rings. Applications to the study of polynomials, their roots and their factorisation. Factorisation in rings."

I'm still doing that linear algebra course about vector spaces and that lot - it's just getting harder and harder :'(

I don't mind pure maths that much (so far that is!). Statistics on the other hand...... :angry::angry:
[Although I actually like the statistical inference course we are doing - it actually makes perfect sense to me! :O]

Good luck for tomorrow anyway!

Well it is and isn't bad. I understand the proofs, just wouldn't think of them myself, other than that I should be alright in it. See I started both rings and vector fields last year, so think I've settled in on the concepts quite nicely. I'm sure you'll pick it up fairly quickly :yep:

Thanks, you'll know if I've done badly or not by the way I act on here. :redface:
Failed the civil service assessment centre :sigh:

Moron.

Ugh it's so crap when someone isn't cooperating with the group. We had 9 people in our group and 1 girl didn't contribute anything. We made a Facebook group to communicate, but as she wasn't on Facebook the group leader also posted everything important to the student forum or emailed her directly. She never contributed any research/slides for the presentation, didn't turn up to any of the meetings at all or the rehearsal we had beforehand. She turned up to the presentation but obviously didn't have anything to say so just stood there awkwardly, and also didn't ask any questions to the other groups (we got marked on that too), or answer any. I think she felt like she was being left out because she isn't on Facebook but it's not really an excuse as she was informed of everything that was going on.

Luckily we do peer-marking so we all grade each other on our individual input so I doubt she'll get the same mark as the rest of us.

I've got another group project on the go right now (presentation a week today) but there's only 4 of us so it's a bit easier to get everyone organised :smile:

Quick Reply