The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayquaza17
Sounds scary tbh!

We do a module next semester about rings, "Multiple examples of rings and fields, including polynomial rings, Zn, and complex number rings. Applications to the study of polynomials, their roots and their factorisation. Factorisation in rings."

I'm still doing that linear algebra course about vector spaces and that lot - it's just getting harder and harder :'(

I don't mind pure maths that much (so far that is!). Statistics on the other hand...... :angry::angry:
[Although I actually like the statistical inference course we are doing - it actually makes perfect sense to me! :O]

Good luck for tomorrow anyway!

Oh linear algebra for me last year was such a fail, did everything you're doing currently and got 37% in it :rofl: if that makes you feel any better :colondollar:

Original post by MathsNerd1
Group theory, Ring theory and number theory mainly but to be more specific about groups we learn:
-Basic concepts
-Finite Abelian groups
-Cosets and Lagrange's theorem
- Normal subgroups
-Quotient groups
-Isomorphism theorems
And the derived subgroup and the centre

Rings covers:
-Basic concepts
-Ideals (lots on this) and Ring homorphisms
-Euclidean and polynomial rings
And the group of units

We've only just finished the groups section and my head both understands it but also doesn't at the same time, so tomorrow won't be pleasant

Thank God I don't do that til later!! Even though my module is called groups and numbers, it's mostly number theory phewww

Good luck for tomorrow!! I have my analysis midterm tomorrow and currently feeling like I don't give a **** about it at all :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shorttstuff
Oh linear algebra for me last year was such a fail, did everything you're doing currently and got 37% in it :rofl: if that makes you feel any better :colondollar:

Thank God I don't do that til later!! Even though my module is called groups and numbers, it's mostly number theory phewww

Good luck for tomorrow!! I have my analysis midterm tomorrow and currently feeling like I don't give a **** about it at all :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, Linear Algebra is quite a nice topic, if you ask me :smile:

Thanks, I'm feeling the exact same for tomorrow, but I'm sure we'll both do well :yep:
Original post by BeyondandAbove

Aaww, that is so cute, though! So how did it all begin anyways? Not sure if you have mentioned it anywhere, but I didn't see it.. and I'm curious haha.

I will try! She does want to come back, sooo... maybe I'll only have to wait until summer haha!

I don't think it's posted on here tbh.. essentially we got hammered during this years freshers and slept together. And then carried on sleeping together. And then I got feelings for the stupid kid and apparently he got them also so yeaaah... not the most romantic story ever :redface:

Aww, sounds good! Why does she have to leave?
Original post by MyName??!
Been to three lectures, and even though they're not compulsory, I still can't stay focused for more than 10mins... I dislike biology lectures :unimpressed:

Also had a 5 hr lab, but that wasn't so bad :tongue:

Biology's not too bad. I have to sit through lectures on stuff like formalities for marriage and statutes of international courts. All those words just go over my head.

5 hour lab? What do you do in labs? Is it student-led or tutor-led?

Gosh I've been so busy recently and I don't want to do any of this work. I just want to sleep and eat lots of ice cream. I've got like 15 more cases to get through and then I have to do all my readings for family law because I'm 2 weeks behind :frown:
Original post by Serentonin
I don't think it's posted on here tbh.. essentially we got hammered during this years freshers and slept together. And then carried on sleeping together. And then I got feelings for the stupid kid and apparently he got them also so yeaaah... not the most romantic story ever :redface:

Aww, sounds good! Why does she have to leave?

Hahaha!! Doesn't always have to be romantic :p: We met on Tinder.

To finish her studies back home. Ah well! I'll make it special until she leaves and make sure she's got a grand time here (:

Spoiler

Reply 85
Microbiology lab, not entirely sure if I can open the window because everyone else will be cold haha. I'll just suck it up, it's only gonna be 3 hours. (:

You'll get to see him over the weekend though, yes? yes?

Might get to see him on Friday, depending on his work schedule, but not over the weekend no :frown: He's got work training to do. And apparently she wanted him to bring me along today... hearing that was kinda scary :erm:

Original post by Slowbro93
Failed the civil service assessment centre :sigh:

:console:
Did they give feedback? If they did, then maybe you can work on whatever was missing?
Reply 86
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Biology's not too bad. I have to sit through lectures on stuff like formalities for marriage and statutes of international courts. All those words just go over my head.

5 hour lab? What do you do in labs? Is it student-led or tutor-led?

Gosh I've been so busy recently and I don't want to do any of this work. I just want to sleep and eat lots of ice cream. I've got like 15 more cases to get through and then I have to do all my readings for family law because I'm 2 weeks behind :frown:

Biology isn't bad no, but I can’t focus in any of the lectures… :erm: But I did find synthetic biology interesting!
And wow, that does go over one’s head :tongue:
I do a series of experiments. And it’s usually student-led, well after the tutor shows me how to use something, tutor-led ones can take up to 5hrs as well, but they’re usually 3 hrs instead.
Biology isn't bad no, but I can’t focus in any of the lectures… :erm: But I did find synthetic biology interesting!
And wow, that does go over one’s head :tongue:
I do a series of experiments. And it’s usually student-led, well after the tutor shows me how to use something, tutor-led ones can take up to 5hrs as well, but they’re usually 3 hrs instead.

Are the lectures long?

Yep. It's even worse when the lecture hall has no ventilation and the lecturer's voice is monotone.

Labs sound pretty cool. I'm jealous of all the students who get to be hands-on with their degree. I just sit on my butt all day reading through obscure materials from the 1700s that are written in some kind of Elvish language lol
Are the lectures long?

Yep. It's even worse when the lecture hall has no ventilation and the lecturer's voice is monotone.

Labs sound pretty cool. I'm jealous of all the students who get to be hands-on with their degree. I just sit on my butt all day reading through obscure materials from the 1700s that are written in some kind of Elvish language lol

How would you get to be hands-on with that, though? Get a time-turner/time machine and travel back to the 1700s? :p: (that would be rad)
Reply 89
Are the lectures long?

The lectures are 1hr long… I try to focus, but 10-15 mins into the lectures I find myself either doodling, checking out the person in front of me’s hair, skyping or on the student room… I made this thread during the biology lecture I attended on Monday :tongue:
These lectures aren’t compulsory, but my supervisor wants me to go to them anyway, told him I can just read over the material, but nope, must attend he says :unimpressed:
But I used to enjoy my engineering and biophysics lectures I had when I was doing my bachelors. Biology and chemistry ones were awful.

And I know the feels! Monotonous lecturers are the worst. What’s even worse is when you attend a seminar, on a topic you’re really interested in, and the guest lecturer looks only at his screen… I had a couple of those and they drove me up the wall every time…

Do you do any volunteer work at your uni? That might help in livelying up your time a bit :yep: if you’re into that kind of stuff anyway. I tend of make fun of historic writings :tongue: cures boredom big time lol

How would you get to be hands-on with that, though? Get a time-turner/time machine and travel back to the 1700s? :p: (that would be rad)

Only if! That’d be awesome :holmes:
(edited 9 years ago)

With law? No idea but it would be nice to have regular internal mooting stuff or negotiations. The Law Society only organises:
- dull lawyer talks
- pub brawls once a year
- the most boring law ball ever

The lectures are 1hr long… I try to focus, but 10-15 mins into the lectures I find myself either doodling, checking out the person in front of me’s hair, skyping or on the student room… I made this thread during the biology lecture I attended on Monday :tongue:
These lectures aren’t compulsory, but my supervisor wants me to go to them anyway, told him I can just read over the material, but nope, must attend he says :unimpressed:
But I used to enjoy my engineering and biophysics lectures I had when I was doing my bachelors. Biology and chemistry ones were awful.

And I know the feels! Monotonous lecturers are the worst. What’s even worse is when you attend a seminar, on a topic you’re really interested in, and the guest lecturer looks only at his screen… I had a couple of those and they drove me up the wall every time…

Do you do any volunteer work at your uni? That might help in livelying up your time a bit :yep: if you’re into that kind of stuff anyway. I tend of make fun of historic writings :tongue: cures boredom big time lol

lmao if someone with really long hair sits in front of me and whips it back so I can't use my desk, I do a braid in their hair and then pull on it to create a big knot. Yeah I'm just really passive aggressive. :biggrin:

Why don't you just take a laptop, mute the sound and watch cat videos or epic fails on Youtube? I did that last year

I had a tutor who used to turn up early, spend the whole hour ranting at us about how he doesn't get paid enough and then leave the second the clock hit ten minutes to whatever hour we were meant to leave before.

I did last year but nothing this year. I might start volunteering after my exams, either with the Citizens Advice Bureau or with the Samaritans. But only if my timetable is friendly and I get a day off. I'm in uni every day of the week and sometimes only for an hour which is just a pisstake.
Reply 91

lmao if someone with really long hair sits in front of me and whips it back so I can't use my desk, I do a braid in their hair and then pull on it to create a big knot. Yeah I'm just really passive aggressive. :biggrin:

Why don't you just take a laptop, mute the sound and watch cat videos or epic fails on Youtube? I did that last year

I had a tutor who used to turn up early, spend the whole hour ranting at us about how he doesn't get paid enough and then leave the second the clock hit ten minutes to whatever hour we were meant to leave before.

I did last year but nothing this year. I might start volunteering after my exams, either with the Citizens Advice Bureau or with the Samaritans. But only if my timetable is friendly and I get a day off. I'm in uni every day of the week and sometimes only for an hour which is just a pisstake.

That does sound tempting :teehee:

I used to, during bachelors - but I'm on my own this year... so it's not really fun anymore :sad:

And I hate it when lecturers drag on the lecture... especially when we had lectures on the other side of campus afterwards.. but glad I don't have that anymore :rofl:

I always envied those who only had one hour days... I still do :facepalm:
Just got another 100%, I wonder if I can get full marks in all these tests
Reply 93

Congrats dude :woo: :biggrin:
Congrats dude :woo: :biggrin:

Thanks, it was that simple I was done with 30 minutes out of 40 to go
Turns out I got the top mark for Fourier analysis in my final year. Well this is odd :tongue:
Reply 96
Thanks, it was that simple I was done with 30 minutes out of 40 to go

nice :^_^:

How are things going btw?
Reply 97
Original post by Slowbro93
Turns out I got the top mark for Fourier analysis in my final year. Well this is odd :tongue:

Leaves a good impression though right? I get a relieving feel :tongue: It reassures me that I'm not as dumb as I think I am...
That does sound tempting :teehee:

I used to, during bachelors - but I'm on my own this year... so it's not really fun anymore :sad:

And I hate it when lecturers drag on the lecture... especially when we had lectures on the other side of campus afterwards.. but glad I don't have that anymore :rofl:

I always envied those who only had one hour days... I still do :facepalm:

One girl had this really long hair that was everywhere. The girls sitting next to me were laughing so hard lol But it annoys me when people do that. At least be considerate to people behind you.

Lol our lectures are 2 hours long and I swear my lecturers cover the bare bare basics. And they talk really slowly so the other dumb ****s can write down a complete transcript of the lecture. And these students go on and on about how good their notes are :angry:

I envy people who actually spend more than an hour in uni! I wish I got more out of my degree sometimes.

Well done!
See you had nothing to worry about!!

You get results back really quickly!!

Quick Reply

Latest