The Student Room Group

Black people and asians(pakistanis,Indians,bengal is etc) will you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cupcakes87
:K:

this is not you! :s-smilie:

It is?

Some soldiers aren't going to be nice people. I think if Im going to respect someone, they should be worthy of respect, and not just because "Oh they're a soldier"

I respect a lot of people here, because of how they come across. Ill respect a lot of soldiers, for doing what they do, because I differentiate between what a person does as a job, and the army/govt as entities (Like just because I disagree with wars, it doesnt mean that I think every soldier is now "evil" )

BUT they're not deserving of respect, by default.

There's a guy here, who trained in the RAF. I have respect for him, because of how he comes across, but Im not going to respect someone JUST because theyre in uniform. Tbh, Ill naturally "respect" a lot of people, but if youre going to be an ********, that respect will go out of the window :smile:

ooh btw, hi from your ban!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
It is?

Some soldiers aren't going to be nice people. I think if Im going to respect someone, they should be worthy of respect, and not just because "Oh they're a soldier"

I respect a lot of people here, because of how they come across. Ill respect a lot of soldiers, for doing what they do, because I differentiate between what a person does as a job, and the army/govt as entities (Like just because I disagree with wars, it doesnt mean that I think every soldier is now "evil" )

BUT they're not deserving of respect, by default.

no no! not that! i understand your point! :tongue: its valid!

just the swearing! :K:

:hugs:
no no! not that! i understand your point! :tongue: its valid!

just the swearing! :K:

Ooooh I see. Meh I think "********" is quite a light "swear" :biggrin:

Ooooh I see. Meh I think "********" is quite a light "swear" :biggrin:

not capable of working out the word but okay! :biggrin:

what do you think of the white poppies?

Reply 44
I wore a poppy one year, after I found out two of my mother's uncles fought in WW2 (My mother's side are a military family, Indian Army mostly). So I figured I would respect their contribution and the contribution of 2.5 million Indian soldiers specifically, along with the general sentiment of remembrance.

Strangely, I got such funny and odd looks from white people, that I never wore one again.
not capable of working out the word but okay! :biggrin:

what do you think of the white poppies?

Let's say it's to do with someones bum :biggrin:

Erm, I quite like the idea of white poppies, because they were the original poppies werent they? They're meant to be seen as a symbol to remember the atrocities of war, and the money doesnt then go to financing war... (Or soldiers)

BUT, a lot of people dont understand, and think youre being disrespectful or deliberately provocative

(edited 9 years ago)
This thread is probably best in society, I guess, so Ill move it there :smile:
Why? Why are they deserving of respect, just because they are in the armed forces?? There are going to be some real ********s, and some really nice people in the army

Why should I respect the ********s just because theyre in the armed forces?

Some veterans can be ********s as well. Why should I respect them?

There are also some racist soldiers, and some racist ex soldiers as well

(Notice I said some. I know they arent the majority)

I saw a soldier post on facebook "Muslims are all terrorists. We should kill them all" Or words to that effect (he had pictures of him in Germany, with other soldiers, so this guy looked like an actual soldier, and not someone pretending to be one)

Why should I respect them? Why should I respect that genocidal maniac?

It's just a job anyway. Not my fault they picked a career where they get shot at, they know the risks.
Let's say it's to do with someones bum :biggrin:

Erm, I quite like the idea of white poppies, because they were the original poppies werent they? They're meant to be seen as a symbol to remember the atrocities of war, and the money doesnt then go to financing war... (Or soldiers)

BUT, a lot of people dont understand, and think youre being disrespectful or deliberately provocative

:lol:

im not quite sure- i think its something to do with keeping the peace now by seeing what happened in the past?

i dont think its disrespectful. i mean i will give them respect for their rols and putting their life on the line but i agree with what you said about some of them may not be worthy of respect.

Reply 49
Why? Why are they deserving of respect, just because they are in the armed forces?? There are going to be some real ********s, and some really nice people in the army

Why should I respect the ********s just because theyre in the armed forces?

Some veterans can be ********s as well. Why should I respect them?

There are also some racist soldiers, and some racist ex soldiers as well

(Notice I said some. I know they arent the majority)

I saw a soldier post on facebook "Muslims are all terrorists. We should kill them all" Or words to that effect (he had pictures of him in Germany, with other soldiers, so this guy looked like an actual soldier, and not someone pretending to be one)

Why should I respect them? Why should I respect that genocidal maniac?

Because in the end the armed forces will be the ones who face the fire to defend this country and it's citizens. You're not going to pick up a gun and defend this nation. It was the veterans of this nation that defended it against the Nazis.

Their prejudicial views as people isn't related to the service to the nation they give. I would also despise such views but I have to respect what they did for the country we now peacefully live in.

You're picking up on personal traits of individual servicemen so you don't have to respect the armed forces? I think that's a little sad.

The Armed forces can turn around and say the same thing about British Muslims. They interrupt fallen service men's processions and funerals, burn poppies and one incident even attempted to behead a non serving soldier on the streets of London. That is worse than a few Facebook posts or prejudicial views, but that view would be unacceptable to you.

Double standards. Both views are nonsense. I think it's sad you don't respect your own troops.

You're almost making it out as if I'm asking you to kiss the feet of a soldier if you see one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I am a British Asian Muslim. I will be sporting a poppy not for the antics and motive of government but for the innocent soldiers who defended the country my family and I were born and raised in.Zara
Original post by Ggmu!
Because in the end the armed forces will be the ones who face the fire to defend this country and it's citizens. You're not going to pick up a gun and defend this nation. It was the veterans of this nation that defended it against the Nazis.

Their prejudicial views as people isn't related to the service to the nation they give. I would also despise such views but I have to respect what they did for the country we now peacefully live in.

You're picking up on personal traits of individual servicemen so you don't have to respect the armed forces? I think that's a little sad.

The Armed forces can turn around and say the same thing about British Muslims. They interrupt fallen service men's processions and funerals, burn poppies and one incident even attempted to behead a non serving soldier on the streets of London. That is worse than a few Facebook posts or prejudicial views, but that view would be unacceptable to you.

Double standards. Both views are nonsense. I think it's sad you don't respect your own troops.

You're almost making it out as if I'm asking you to kiss the feet of a soldier if you see one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't respect an entitity, that has gone to war for questionable means. Also, I can't respect the armed troops in say Pakistan, or India, or any where else (As a whole, because of the armies doing questionable things) (Though tbf, this is more gov't than the military, across the world)

And that's individual Muslims. See I made the distinction. I was talking about individual soldiers. Not the armed forces as a whole. Why should I respect someone JUST because theyre in the armed forces?? You're failing to make the distinction. Where's the double standards?

Say someone is defending the country, but only does so because they want to kill x people, why should I respect them?

Why should I respect doctors just because they're doctors?

Why should I respect firepeople just because theyre fire people (Is that the PC term now??)

etc... etc...

Harold Shipman was a doctor. Why should I have to respect people just because of their job title? Respect is earned, and not something that you get just because you have a badge that says you do x y or z

Going off on a slight tangent there, but the whole point Im trying to make is Im notgoing to just instantly respect someone because of their job
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
I can't respect an entitity, that has gone to war for questionable means. Also, I can't respect the armed troops in say Pakistan, or India, or any where else (As a whole, because of the armies doing questionable things) (Though tbf, this is more gov't than the military, across the world)

And that's individual Muslims. See I made the distinction. I was talking about individual soldiers. Not the armed forces as a whole. Why should I respect someone JUST because theyre in the armed forces?? You're failing to make the distinction. Where's the double standards?

Say someone is defending the country, but only does so because they want to kill x people, why should I respect them?

Why should I respect doctors just because they're doctors?

Why should I respect firepeople just because theyre fire people (Is that the PC term now??)

etc... etc...

Harold Shipman was a doctor. Why should I have to respect people just because of their job title? Respect is earned, and not something that you get just because you have a badge that says you do x y or z

Going off on a slight tangent there, but the whole point Im trying to make is Im notgoing to just instantly respect someone because of their job

You already said it in an earlier post, they don't choose to go. You know how it works here, parliament clears military action in that scale. Your issue there shouldn't be with the armed forces. If anything, I pity then for having to fight such wars.

Well you're an idealist and I'm a realist. It's in the nature of armed forces, these shady individuals will always exist. I dislike it as much as you do but that's not a reason for me to not have respect for the armed forces.

You say you don't respect the armed forces because of individual soldiers... But the army can't dislike British Muslims because of individual British Muslims.

Lol you are reaching... Is that the default? Do people join the army to kill x people? I don't think so. And again, that isn't a reason to not have respect for the armed forces. That soldier, individually shouldn't even have been allowed into the armed forces and represents failings in recruitment. The British army is one of the most professional, relatively speaking.

I respect soldiers because they do the hardest job in the world, simple as that. Which involves protecting me, often for a poor pay and life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Y
You say you don't respect the armed forces because of individual soldiers...
Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said this. I said, that Im not going to respect someone just because of their job, and then I gave examples of the types of people I wouldnt respect. For the rest, the argument is just going to around in circles...

(I also made comparisons with doctors/fire fighters etc... people who save lives on a day to day basis, where no body ever has to kill any one, in order to do so, that I wouldnt respect them JUST because theyre a doctor/fire fighter)

As it happens I know of a few doctors, and I dont respect them because theyre doctors, but because of how they come across
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
I never said this. I said, that Im not going to respect someone just because of their job, and then I gave examples of the types of people I wouldnt respect. For the rest, the argument is just going to around in circles...

(I also made comparisons with doctors/fire fighters etc... people who save lives on a day to day basis, where no body ever has to kill any one, in order to do so, that I wouldnt respect them JUST because theyre a doctor/fire fighter)

You were very unclear in your first post, jumping from individuals to the entire institution.

Firefighters aren't being shot at everyday, nor doctors. They work under different conditions. If an army fails, a country can fall. If a doctor fails, a patient dies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Im indian and I will wear one as always and most indians I know will wear them
I agree with everyone's point that british lives should't mean more than the lives of those they killed but if you are going to live in this country, why not respect the soldiers of the country you live in?
I'm a pacifist and I don't usually like to do things assosciated with war.

However, it brings attention to and aids those who have seen the horrors of war and I think that's a good thing, so I'll be wearing one.
Reply 58
Original post by Ggmu!
You're good at isolating a single situation and taking a moral high ground from it.

I'd preffer we celebrated isolated cases.

If you didn't realise, we were fighting a war, people tend to die. You're no hero sitting on your house waiting for a bomb to drop. You are if you risk your life to protect the piece of soil you come from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Attitudes like yours are why the human race will devour itself. I'm aware of how a war works, and that innocent people get killed - accidently, and on purpose.

I'm also aware that it takes a certain level of heroism to fight, but I don't think all soldires are heros. And I certainly have no interest in celebrating the actions of those who acted immorally, even if they were just following orders.

I will remember, I just won't wear a poppy.
Reply 59
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I agree with everyone's point that british lives should't mean more than the lives of those they killed but if you are going to live in this country, why not respect the soldiers of the country you live in?

I don't know, maybe because not all soldiers are respectable?

What makes soldiers so different from other people that they must have blanket respect? Nada. Sure they put themselves at great risk, but they also get paid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending