The Student Room Group

Medical Textbooks for medical students, Foundation years, Core medical training

Can anyone guide me as to what Clinical textbooks and handheld guides, websites, etc are used for

Medical School years (Pre-clinical and Clinicals)

Foundation years

Core medical training

For all the different medical specialtes: medicine, Peds, Ob-gyn, Psych, Surgery, Epidemiology, Ethics, etc?

Many thanks.:smile:
Original post by jay12a
Can anyone guide me as to what Clinical textbooks and handheld guides, websites, etc are used for

Medical School years (Pre-clinical and Clinicals)

Foundation years

Core medical training

For all the different medical specialtes: medicine, Peds, Ob-gyn, Psych, Surgery, Epidemiology, Ethics, etc?

Many thanks.:smile:

Loads of different options - some of the main UG ones are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Textbook_Recommendations

Not too sure about PG texts, but for general medicine, Harrisons? and Bailey & Love? for surgery
Reply 2
Thanks for the suggestion, however, they don't list them by the Foundation training years or the Core Training years, Also some of the specialities such as Peds, Ob-gyn, Psych,are not listed at all....Would be grateful if any specific suggestions can be made about this and more.
Let me get this straight... You actually want people to provide you with a fully comprehensive run-down on all educational resources for med school, FY years, and ST, for all specialties!?!
Reply 4
As much as possible would be greatly appreciated....including the Core Training years.
Sure, no problems. Just let me cancel plans to visit family and give me a week or two to collate and write that info up for you. If you can't wait that long I know for sure that all the source material can be found at the following eCommerce site: http://amzn.to/1b8m65w
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Mate....Thanks, for the suggestion. Would be great to get a feel from what students on the whole think rather than from commercial book selling sites.

Thanks again.
Original post by jay12a
Mate....Thanks, for the suggestion. Would be great to get a feel from what students on the whole think rather than from commercial book selling sites.

Thanks again.

Amazon has reviews. No one here will be able to list all the textbooks because (a) very few doctors, mostly undergrads and (b) the list is too large.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Totally understand what you are saying....would it be possible to list all the undergraduate books used for the different medical specialtes: medicine, Peds, Ob-gyn, Psych, Surgery, Epidemiology, Ethics, etc? I think it would be a great help to understand what students are commonly using all over UK.

Thanks!!!!!!
Reply 9
It's important to note that a medical student is not going to use a textbook as advanced and as in as much detail as a doctor in speciality training.
Reply 10
Original post by jay12a
Totally understand what you are saying....would it be possible to list all the undergraduate books used for the different medical specialtes: medicine, Peds, Ob-gyn, Psych, Surgery, Epidemiology, Ethics, etc? I think it would be a great help to understand what students are commonly using all over UK.

Thanks!!!!!!

What are you going to be using this information for?

:wtf:
Reply 11
Thanks guys for all your willingness to help....I was hoping to understand from everyone as to what books are commonly used at the undergraduate level (does not have to be very advanced) for the different specialties we rotate thru as medical students or as junior doctors.
Reply 12
Do you have a library?

Do your own ****ing research.
Reply 13
Well ..... would be nice to see what others are using at different places.
Reply 14
Original post by jay12a
Well ..... would be nice to see what others are using at different places.

So you can use all the info on your own website/blog/other?
Reply 15
Wow....I thought we were here to help and guide each other. What ever happenned to that?
Reply 16
Original post by jay12a
Wow....I thought we were here to help and guide each other. What ever happenned to that?

Give us a proper question with an identifiable rationale apart from 'umm, just coz lol' and maybe, just maybe someone with the knowledge, experience and more importantly time will offer to take on this rather Herculean task.
Reply 17
Don't you just Google it these days? And your patients are usually a step ahead of you on this front anyway..
Reply 18
Original post by Zarek
Don't you just Google it these days? And your patients are usually a step ahead of you on this front anyway..

Nah I use www.uptodate.com.
Original post by Zarek

Nah. I use Yahoo! answers and get them to reschedule another appointment for the time I'll have a reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending