The Student Room Group

Differentiation - A - level

Many one know how i do 1 a? I keep getting the answer of X to the power 3/2 - 12X but the answer is actually 6X to the power of 1/2 - 12
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by daviem
Many one know how i do 1 a? I keep getting the answer of X to the power 3/2 - 12X but the answer is actually X to the power of 6 - 12 X

Post your workings?
What steps are you taking? Have you fully expanded the brackets? And are you sure you've copied the answer from the MS down correctly because the answer is definitely not x6-12x (nor is it your answer).
Reply 3
Original post by Super199
Post your workings?

Sorry, I've just been reviewing my work and I've made a mistake so it's not right anyway
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
What steps are you taking? Have you fully expanded the brackets? And are you sure you've copied the answer from the MS down correctly because the answer is definitely not x6-12x (nor is it your answer).

Sorry, I'm making stupid mistakes cus im tired, the answer in the mark book is actually 6X to the power of 1/2 - 12, apologies
Original post by daviem
Sorry, I've just been reviewing my work and I've made a mistake so it's not right anyway

Are you using the product rule?
Reply 6
Are you using the product rule?

What do you mean by the product rule?
Reply 7
Original post by daviem
Sorry, I'm making stupid mistakes cus im tired, the answer in the mark book is actually 6X to the power of 1/2 - 12, apologies

That's correct.

Multiply out the brackets in the original expression then use the usual rules for differentiating powers of x.
Original post by daviem
What do you mean by the product rule?

haha never mind do what davros said.
Reply 9
Original post by davros
That's correct.

Multiply out the brackets in the original expression then use the usual rules for differentiating powers of x.

So how do you do the 4X multiplied by the root of X? I think that's where I'm going wrong.
Reply 10
haha never mind do what davros said.

So how do you do the 4X multiplied by the root of X? I think that's where I'm going wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by daviem

You know that x=x1/2\sqrt{x} = x^{1/2} - this is just GCSE stuff.

So 4x(x)=4x(x1/2)=4x3/24x(\sqrt{x}) = 4x(x^{1/2}) = 4x^{3/2}

Quick Reply

Latest