The Student Room Group

What is better for women: Western culture or Islamic culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by radicalboujie
It's a horrible misleading term. There's no "islamic culture" as there are muslims existing from all over Asia and africa Middle East etc. As a black african muslim I don't share the same culture or values as an south Asian muslim. Please stop fueling this stereotype.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Western culture" can mean anything from Canadian to Italian. Are they the same? No. But they are similar enough that we can group them together as western. You clearly understand what is meant by islamic vs western culture but you're just trying to be difficult.
Saying that Islamic culture doesn't exist anywhere is like saying that communism was never put into practice (then what was Soviet Russia, the Chinese Communist state, the Khmer Rouge? did they all apply the tenets wrongly???)

I bet all voters voted along muslim/non-muslim lines. Although I've met quite a few muslims who would rather live here instead of their repressive countries (without Sharia), I've never met a Westerner who would rather live in a Sharia state. That's just personal experience though.
Original post by masterridley
Saying that Islamic culture doesn't exist anywhere is like saying that communism was never put into practice (then what was Soviet Russia, the Chinese Communist state, the Khmer Rouge? did they all apply the tenets wrongly???)

I bet all voters voted along muslim/non-muslim lines. Although I've met quite a few muslims who would rather live here instead of their repressive countries (without Sharia), I've never met a Westerner who would rather live in a Sharia state. That's just personal experience though.

I'm a woman. Black. A womanist(feminism is flawed and full of racist white women who dominate narratives)
Anyways my point is in my country in somalia were everyone is muslim we DO NOT HAVE A SHARIA STATE. We have a democracy a corrupt government but something there since we've been in a civil war for 20 years.
What your saying is flawed. Muslims follow different sects and have differing opinions depending on the sect they've joined. The islamic sects/schools of thoughts in africa are completely different to the ones in Asia and saudi Arabia.
Yes the media loves to group all muslims:sunni/shia/sufi/wahabbis all as one group
That's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The amount of muslims desperately trying to get into this country should tell you the answer.

They are coming to save you from your western culture lol
Original post by masterridley

And btw as a muslim myself I don't believe in a Sharia state as there is nothing specific of it in the quran. Also if god is the one were supposed to be doing all these great deeds to why is there a state punishing you and controlling every one of your actions? It takes away intentions and the spirituality of connecting with God. And note most of these muslim countries run on politics away and greed and NOT for the citizens who are getting stoned killed and tortured for not bowing down to them. They don't give a **** about religion and hate them all deeply

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a woman. Black. A womanist(feminism is flawed and full of racist white women who dominate narratives)
Anyways my point is in my country in somalia were everyone is muslim we DO NOT HAVE A SHARIA STATE. We have a democracy a corrupt government but something there since we've been in a civil war for 20 years.
What your saying is flawed. Muslims follow different sects and have differing opinions depending on the sect they've joined. The islamic sects/schools of thoughts in africa are completely different to the ones in Asia and saudi Arabia.
Yes the media loves to group all muslims:sunni/shia/sufi/wahabbis all as one group
That's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muslims talk all the time about 'the West", "Western culture" "Western States"...so, no surprise that "Westerners" talk about "Islam" "Islamic culture" "Islamic States" etc etc

it's simply shorthand; everyone knows that there are many differences
By the way, no one knows exactly what an "Islamic State" should be. Shariah comes in an almost infinite variety of shapes and forms.

Better still, it's some sort of elusive Shangri-la. A perfect Caliphate which Muslims believe existed for a few decades in the 7th century, and then disappeared, leaving the place to imperfect kingdoms...

not to speak of Al-Baghdadi, of course
Reply 87
I don't see how it's even a debatable topic, western culture is far more liberal in general and thus better for men and women

Posted from TSR Mobile
Western culture of course, there isn't even debate about this.
this question is so stupid lol 'islamic culture' wtf
Original post by mariachi
Muslims talk all the time about 'the West", "Western culture" "Western States"...so, no surprise that "Westerners" talk about "Islam" "Islamic culture" "Islamic States" etc etc

it's simply shorthand; everyone knows that there are many differences

Well it's mostly s.asian/arab scholars who live in a penthouse with maids who are mega rich who fuel this toxic hate to the muslims like my mum who had to seek asylum in Italy when she was just 15 because of the civil war in somalia.
it's downright selfish to deny muslims who are less privileged to live in a safe country just for their shattered egos.
Note:nothing in the quran that says anything abt west vs muslim countries

Posted from TSR Mobile

Note:nothing in the quran that says anything abt west vs muslim countries

when the Quran was composed there were no "Muslim countries", only Muhammad and his group of "Believers"

there was no "West" either - but now Muslims tend to interpret the Quranic "Rum" as if it were the "West"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mariachi
ever heard of the Surah Ar-Rum ?

in any case, when the Quran was composed there were no "Muslim countries", only Muhammad and his group of "Believers"

All I'm saying that the hate for the west is nothing but politics. Where does it say in the quran that my family should sat in war torn country instead of seeking refuge? And there are no proper muslim countries that are existing currently. It's all a title, I mean how many inhumane injustices towards women are committed by these men in charge while cowarding behind Sharia law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Islamic culture of course; how is this even a debate?

Islam ftw!
Reply 94
Reference to 'western culture' makes sense considering the effects of colonialism left in other countries by Europe imposing collectively 'western culture' and the globalisation of what would be considered 'western culture', so if speaking sociologically, 'western culture' is a valid term

Quick Reply

Latest