The Student Room Group

General q about proofs

In for eg epsilon delta proofs you want to say choose delta to be less than either e/6 and 1, whichever is smaller the do you write let delta <(e/6,1) or delta<{e/6,1}? I see people writing both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
In for eg epsilon delta proofs you want to say choose delta to be less than either e/6 and 1, whichever is smaller the do you write let delta <(e/6,1) or delta<{e/6,1}? I see people writing both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't use either.

I'd go for "delta < min(e/6,1)", or with braces rather than parentheses.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
I wouldn't use either.

I'd go for "delta < min(e/6,1)", or with braces rather than parentheses.

I forgot to put the 'min' on mine. Yeah so do u use {} or ()? Or are they both correct. I did a proof of a closed set and used min(..) and the marker put the {} but I saw my lecturer us the min(..) with a epsilondelta proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
I forgot to put the 'min' on mine. Yeah so do u use {} or ()? Or are they both correct. I did a proof of a closed set and used min(..) and the marker put the {} but I saw my lecturer us the min(..) with a epsilondelta proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what the standard practise is, but either would do to my mind.

I consider min() to be a function, whose arguments are in the parentheses, and min{} to mean the minimum of the elements of the set in the braces.
Original post by ghostwalker
I don't know what the standard practise is, but either would do to my mind.

I consider min() to be a function, whose arguments are in the parentheses, and min{} to mean the minimum of the elements of the set in the braces.

Ok fair enough. Im gonna just go with {}

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest