The Student Room Group

Business Management Bsc - where to go?

Hi!
I am international student with predicted 40 points (IB). I want to study Business and Administration / Business and Marketing / Management and am in the process of drafting my final uni list. My ultimate first choice is Bath. However, I definitely need some back up choices:

*King's - good reputation, good course, and in London (I am a city person). Don't know about the quality of social life though?
*City - a safe back-up; in London as well, which is a plus
*Birmingham - big city, nice campus (from what I have heard), how is the program/student life though?
*Exeter - uncertain about this one; is it a good uni or highly overrated? the opinions seem to differ
*Durham - very good school but the social life seems to be almost non-existent and that is a very important factor for me
*Leeds - I like the city, and the school seems to be good, but the graduate prospects are kind of low in the rankings?

I am definitely an outgoing person so a good social / campus life is very important for me. Any suggestions?
Reply 1
I am studying Management with Marketing at Exeter, and would not want to be anywhere else. If you are outgoing like me, you should drop Bath from your list. I was very disappointed with my visit. Small campus, lots of cement, socially lacking(no club like most big Uni's), no cinema or theater on campus. Town of Bath is a one hour walk(Exeter is 10 minutes). Weak housing.It is an excellent Uni, but socially very poor.
Original post by Film
I am studying Management with Marketing at Exeter, and would not want to be anywhere else. If you are outgoing like me, you should drop Bath from your list. I was very disappointed with my visit. Small campus, lots of cement, socially lacking(no club like most big Uni's), no cinema or theater on campus. Town of Bath is a one hour walk(Exeter is 10 minutes). Weak housing.It is an excellent Uni, but socially very poor.

ive read this elsewhere too. Is bath's social life really that bad? It's a bit disappointing to hear this to be honest.
Reply 3
I'd say King's social life would attract city people. I mean, it's in London! My Durham friends regularly go to Newcastle for clubbing and stuff but Durham itself has nice bars and cafes.. Not the noisiest place but it is indeed a quiet place (Queen's campus for Business, not Durham city). Don't know anything about the rest.

PS Bath's social life is alright, my friend'sa party animal yet Bath is her first choice so I assume it's not bad
Original post by monica_987
Hi!
I am international student with predicted 40 points (IB). I want to study Business and Administration / Business and Marketing / Management and am in the process of drafting my final uni list. My ultimate first choice is Bath. However, I definitely need some back up choices:

*King's - good reputation, good course, and in London (I am a city person). Don't know about the quality of social life though?
*City - a safe back-up; in London as well, which is a plus
*Birmingham - big city, nice campus (from what I have heard), how is the program/student life though?
*Exeter - uncertain about this one; is it a good uni or highly overrated? the opinions seem to differ
*Durham - very good school but the social life seems to be almost non-existent and that is a very important factor for me
*Leeds - I like the city, and the school seems to be good, but the graduate prospects are kind of low in the rankings?

I am definitely an outgoing person so a good social / campus life is very important for me. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Glad to hear that you are considering Bath! I'm Sam, a current second year International Management and Modern Languages course at the University of Bath.

I noticed that some of the above posts have mentioned the nightlife in Bath. I was really surprised by how good it was when I came to the uni. The Students' Union itself holds two club nights on campus in the Plug & the Tub, which is the on campus nightclub. There are also a good number of clubs in the city which all do student nights which are really popular, there is a different night out for every day of the week (other than Sunday), so you'll never be left with nowhere to go! There are also loads of bars and pubs if that is more to your taste.

We also have some brand new accommodation which opened for the first time this year, called the Quads, which is really nice from what I've seen of it, and there's also a wide range of other accommodation options to suit your budget. You can read a blog from a first year student living in the Quads here.

The city itself is also a really great place to live as a student. You can walk from one side of the city centre to the other in no more than 15 or 20 minutes, and there are regular buses between campus and the city centre, so you won't be left waiting too long for transport. There are all the obvious places to go like the Roman Baths, the Royal Crescent, etc. but there is loads to do, there's two cinemas, Bath Rugby if you're into sport, at this time of year there is a great Christmas market, and loads more, you definitely won't run out of things to do!

Good luck with your application, I hope Bath is your first choice!

Please feel free to quote me if you have any other questions.

Sam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending