The Student Room Group

ACA Advanced Level/Stage exams Nov-2014

Hi to all.

Attempted the CR paper today, wasn't so tough but was very very time-pressured. Could not get through to the 3rd question at all. Did part 1 and part 2 half way. Guess i'm going to fail this one. :smile:

How did it go for the others here?
Reply 1
I thought it was a tough paper I certainly would have rather sat July's but I got something reasonable down for each requirement which is the goal. SBM today though was a nightmare which seemed to be the general consensus in the exam hall. Really struggled with the activity based costing. Panicked when I saw it and as a result never really got my head round it. Very annoyed there were no debt vs equity or forex questions as thats the bread and butter in the question bank.
Original post by Ecno
I thought it was a tough paper I certainly would have rather sat July's but I got something reasonable down for each requirement which is the goal. SBM today though was a nightmare which seemed to be the general consensus in the exam hall. Really struggled with the activity based costing. Panicked when I saw it and as a result never really got my head round it. Very annoyed there were no debt vs equity or forex questions as thats the bread and butter in the question bank.

So lets say for a particular FR issue you know about 7-8 points, you are saying we could write 3-4 and be rewarded for the maximum marks?. Is that possible?
I did the old syllabus. Seemed to go OK but very time pressured...
Original post by slaviapragueq
Hi to all.

Attempted the CR paper today, wasn't so tough but was very very time-pressured. Could not get through to the 3rd question at all. Did part 1 and part 2 half way. Guess i'm going to fail this one. :smile:

How did it go for the others here?

I think CR was quite straight forward, no big surprises in it. Hit all the requirements and wrote a ton of stuff, I'm pretty confident I should pass.

The one that kind of shocked me was SBM: both were topics we hadn't covered in college and that weren't in the ICAEW question bank. I have no idea why they decided to throw these in these as opposed to something about investment appraisal or valuation which were much bigger topics. The general consensus in the exam hall was "what the #@%& was that?!"

Still think I passed though, believe I wrote enough.

Plus it isn't good for the ICAEW if too many people fail an exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sat the old syllabus.

BR I thought was pretty standard, but the tax question was more of a BC style question. I thought the Capital Gains element was quite tough.

BC was a tough exam, first question being about withdrawing investment was unusual, the tax question again had a non standard gains part and the final question about FS analysis was not like anything I've seen in revision.

Case was pretty reasonable, they pushed the ethics a lot, being in both q2 and q3 which was a change from previous structures. In general requirements touched on a lot of specific areas instead of focussing on a couple of broad areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending