The Student Room Group

Interview for Astrophysics/Physics

Hi,

I have an interview next month to do Astrophysics at one of the Universities I applied to. It is one of my favourites and I really want to do well so they give me a low offer and I can definitely get it! Has anyone got any advice, tips or experiences they can share with me so I know what's best to do and what I can expect to happen on the day?

Would really appreciate some reassurance that its all going to be fine!

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm applying for Astrophysics too. Only had one offer, but it's an unconditional so hopefully I can help a little bit. I don't know what the actual interview will be like but definitely try and read some related things that you can talk about in the interview - a good magazine is 'all about space' - it sounds quite cheesy but it's actually a really good magazine covering all aspects of astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology. Just find a couple of articles which interest you and read around them so you can talk about them. If there's any public lectures on any physics topics at all that you can get to before your interview (the IOP have many good ones) then try and go to one.

I'd imagine the interview will be going over things you've mentioned in your PS in more detail, trying to find out what you've learned for yourself, and probably giving you some sort of problem to solve.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Wow, congrats on that unconditional! I haven't been so go at keeping up to date with things so I will definitely look into getting that magazine.

I hope all they ask is about my PS as I know what's written in that. I'm more worried about the problem solving questions as I don't want to get stuck on it and look like a fool. Have you any ideas where I could find like a set of practice interview problem solving questions etc? I'm looking round but not having much luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending