The Student Room Group

Consequentialism/Deontology, and Empiricism/Rationalism

I was thinking, as you do, or indeed as some of us do, about the parallels, in practice, between 1)Consequentialism and 2)Empircism( 1-It produces the best consequences, 2-it's what we have evidence works best, so apply the policy) and between 3)Deontology and 4)Rationalism( 3)It is what is right to do in itself, that is what takes presidence over consequences, 4)We will apply policy based on its intrinsic logic(in this case logic being what is right, as it would be in a moral context)) and rationality rather than observed consequences of applying the action)

Can anyone expand on this further? Is the link just observable in practice often, ie the philosophies tend to align, or are the concepts linked conceptually in a general rule, all cases. If it was true it would make the difference between empiricist and rationalist cultures, perfect example being Britain and France, was not merely one of intellectual traditions, but one of a markedly moral nature.

Rather interesting.
Reply 1
Too 'ard for you? Who will bite?
I prefer deontology, and the idea of being heroic and a man of action rather than a ditherer.
Reply 3
Original post by The Dictator
I prefer deontology, and the idea of being heroic and a man of action rather than a ditherer.

It wasn't really the question. And what does it have to do with action or inaction. Empiricism in Britain for example, is inextricably linked to our small c conservatism and the reason why revolutionary actions have always been stifled. Unlike France.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending