The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Being 17 at Edinburgh?

Hi guys,
Next year I will be applying for the geology course at Edinburgh university but I realised that when the course starts I will only be just turned 17.

I have been told that being under 18 ruins the student experience, is this true?
Is a lot of people 17 at Edinburgh or are most 18 or older?
Reply 1
Being that its common to finish High school in Scotland at 17 and the fact that some go to Uni after 5th year instead of 6th you will find there are many 17 year olds at Edinburgh.
Other than drinking alcohol I can't really see it being a major issue with fitting in and finding a social group as you aren't that much younger. Are you 17 for the majority of the academic year?
The only other issue might be if you weren't going to be living in student accommodation you may need your parents to sign landlord forms.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Ovid14
Being that its common to finish High school in Scotland at 17 and the fact that some go to Uni after 5th year instead of 6th you will find there are many 17 year olds at Edinburgh.
Other than drinking alcohol I can't really see it being a major issue with fitting in and finding a social group as you aren't that much younger. Are you 17 for the majority of the academic year?
The only other issue might be if you weren't going to be living in student accommodation you may need your parents to sign landlord forms.

Yeah I will just of turned 17 before I start so I will be 17 for the whole academic year sadly. Its good to know that there is a lot of 17 year olds in Edinburgh so maybe it won't b e such a problem after all :biggrin:
Thanks for the advice
I'd wait if I were you but plenty of Scots will be 17.

You will a minority though, most of the students are 18+
Original post by allybop99
Hi guys,
Next year I will be applying for the geology course at Edinburgh university but I realised that when the course starts I will only be just turned 17.

I have been told that being under 18 ruins the student experience, is this true?
Is a lot of people 17 at Edinburgh or are most 18 or older?

Don't let your age hold you back, there's plenty of things around it. You can still go to all the freshers events being under 18 so hopefully your experience in the beginning wouldn't be ruined. I know plenty of people who didn't turn 18 till semester 2, and even a couple of people who started uni at 16.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending