The Student Room Group

bowel problem

i have a problem :frown:

I have a balanced diet and i exercise properly, but for the past few years iv had really had problems with my bowels. I will go regularly for a few days but then i will get diehorraea (sp) for days, then not go for a few then the cycle will begin once again. im so sick of this because its so horrible. i just want to be normal :frown:

what should i do?

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
i have a problem :frown:

I have a balanced diet and i exercise properly, but for the past few years iv had really had problems with my bowels. I will go regularly for a few days but then i will get diehorraea (sp) for days, then not go for a few then the cycle will begin once again. im so sick of this because its so horrible. i just want to be normal :frown:

what should i do?

What's your diet consist of? How much fibre? Red meat is known for irritating your arse too, so I've heard.
Reply 2
Have you been to your doctor? Maybe he/she can medicate it. I think my aunty has something similar to what you are describing, and she takes some sachet things everyday which prevents these effects :smile:
Reply 3
just normal amounts. not too little, like wheatbixs every so often and stuff. Not alot of meats either
Reply 4
Definatley IBS.

You stressed out yeah?
Reply 5
little bit. whats ibs?
Reply 6
irritable bowel syndrome. i have it, i HAD symptoms like that too.

basically, write a food diary and a bowel movement diary for two weeks and go to the doctors with it. they'll see which foods are irritating your bowel. typically it's gluten or dairy so take note of these foods especially.

they can prescribe medicine to stop the cramping which you may or may not have, and certainly something to make things more regular down below.

it's perfectly managable when you know what it is!
Reply 7
i hate it, i feel like such a freak. like i dernt stay over at my boyfriends if i suddenly get those 'all familiar' pains. i feel like a freak. I live in a flat in uni halls and i have to time me going into the bathroom incase it happens. i hate it. its seriously ruining my life
Reply 8
(Richy_Boi here).

IBS, it's as you described.

Purely psychological. It's a vicious cycle caused by stress.

Now you worry about having the runs, it will make it worse due to worry and so on.

Just try block out that fear and you should be fine. Reassure yourself it's nothing life threatening.
I have some issues like that too. The other night I woke up with really bad cramps that felt like period pain but in the wrong place. I don't get the runs much, but tend to be constipated for ages, and then get them. *senses oversharing - hence anon*.

Here's Wikipedia on the subject.

I mentioned it to my doctor in passing and he ignored me, so I'm a bit worried about going back. Especially as it goes in phases that seem to have no relation to anything whatsoever.
Reply 10
R1chyP
(Richy_Boi here).

IBS, it's as you described.

Purely psychological. It's a vicious cycle caused by stress.

Now you worry about having the runs, it will make it worse due to worry and so on.

Just try block out that fear and you should be fine. Reassure yourself it's nothing life threatening.

if, mr doctor, it's purely psychological, why on earth do certain foods trigger it?!
Reply 11
rxbeef
if, mr doctor, it's purely psychological, why on earth do certain foods trigger it?!

Well they don't really know what causes IBS. I think it's generally thought to be psychological. A food diary doesn't really prove cause and effect. Once someone's pointed out what they think causes it then surely you're going to stress yourself about it when you've eaten it and cause the IBS? In like manner, when someone's blamed your condition on a food and you begin to cut it out, you feel reassured and don't stress yourself about it. Just because a certain food appears to be causing it doesn't mean that it doesn't have a psychological cause.
Wiki says psycological/neurological. Which in my non scientific mind I assume means that if you're stressed it can bring it on but it's also a reflex. They also mention hormonal issues, especially to do with period-y stuff.
Reply 13
IBS almost definitely. Triggered by certain foods, but can also be exagerrated by stress.

However one thing I would definitely say is don't feel like a freak, everyone has health upsets and this is a health upset like any other. Just get your arse down to the doctors and get it properly diagnosed and treated! (wait, that wasn't meant to be a pun..........)
i think doctors just give all bowel problems the name IBS really. like some people get it off food some fom stress and psychological just like some have the runs some have constipation and some only have it some times and some have it every day.

you can get tablets for it that really help tho. i have another form of immodium. and theres the buscopan one on the advert. they can be really good and help u stop worrying which can make it better. mebbies itl get better soon though when u get used to uni and having to share a bathroom with strangers.

apparently 1 in 3 have it so dont worry too much (i say that but i know myself how hard it is to not worry)go to the doctor and say and mention maybe its IBS so they know uve looked into it and they wont try to just ignore it.

mebbies in the mean time take immodium when ur stomach is bad. and try to not drink fizzy drinks, coffee or really unhealthy food like takeaways because these are known to make it worse.

x
I have IBS. It's NOT psychological. Good God. Yes, it's often triggered by stress, but stress is physical. And I have it when I'm not stressed as well. It really bugs me when people act like it's all in your head. It's an intolerance to certain foods. I CANNOT drink coffee, ever. It's like an allergy. I often forget how bad it makes me and drink it, and get stomach pains and diarrhea right away. It's a lot of foods though, too many to just cut out.

I don't see how it ruins your life though - it isn't THAT bad, for me anyway, I think there are a lot worse conditions. I do agree that if you're stressing about it ruining your life, you aren't helping it any. Try to be calm about it. If you notice that particular foods irritate your bowels, cut them out for the time being. I find that eating lots of bran helps a LOT, just a bowl of bran flakes once or twice a day makes my bowel movements normal or close to normal most of the time. It's better to avoid doughy stuff like white bread and pizza, too. Eating brown bread makes a difference, and brown rice.

I find it comes and goes - I had it really bad a while back where I couldn't eat in a restaurant without crippling stomach pains, but it passed. When I notice it starting to get worse again, I try to eat loads of bran and a healthy diet, and it usually sorts itself out. It's a matter of trial and error, really.
Bowel problems can also be caused by stress leading to hypermotility of the intestine (and thence abdominal pain and diahorrea)
Reply 17
IzzyWizzy
I have IBS. It's NOT psychological. Good God. Yes, it's often triggered by stress, but stress is physical. And I have it when I'm not stressed as well. It really bugs me when people act like it's all in your head. It's an intolerance to certain foods. I CANNOT drink coffee, ever. It's like an allergy. I often forget how bad it makes me and drink it, and get stomach pains and diarrhea right away. It's a lot of foods though, too many to just cut out.

I don't see how it ruins your life though - it isn't THAT bad, for me anyway, I think there are a lot worse conditions. I do agree that if you're stressing about it ruining your life, you aren't helping it any. Try to be calm about it. If you notice that particular foods irritate your bowels, cut them out for the time being. I find that eating lots of bran helps a LOT, just a bowl of bran flakes once or twice a day makes my bowel movements normal or close to normal most of the time. It's better to avoid doughy stuff like white bread and pizza, too. Eating brown bread makes a difference, and brown rice.

I find it comes and goes - I had it really bad a while back where I couldn't eat in a restaurant without crippling stomach pains, but it passed. When I notice it starting to get worse again, I try to eat loads of bran and a healthy diet, and it usually sorts itself out. It's a matter of trial and error, really.

This doesn't sound like IBS but more like mild invasive candidiasis, do you get acne or excema and fatigue at the same time that your bowels play up, sorry to be gross but does your stool sometimes have mucus in it or do you have a white coating on your tongue? ( you may not have all of these.)
This is a disease that is accepted by doctors as existing but many don't think that it can affect you to this extent unless you have an immune problem, so in otherwise healthy people it often goes undiagnosed. Great thing is that when you do have problems with it just doing a diet for about 8 weeks can sort it out.
It is a very srtict diet though, no sugar, no yeast, nothing fermented nothing processed, no dairy and no caffiene. (puts booze out, though vodka and tonic tends to be the least evil:biggrin:) so wholomeal bread, avoid most fruits except bananas and granny smith apples, (because fructose is a sugar) avoid bread, marmite, gravy. As I said though, it's only for 8 weeks, then you can eat all these things again but in moderation, if your diet gets bad, you'll get it back.
Take pro-biotics as one of the main causes is not having enough good bacteria in your gut, drink lots of water, and take some vitamin C.
When you do the diet you can through a week of feeling fluish, which is known as candida die-off, and is a sign that it's working. so persevere.
http://www.candidadiet.com/therapist/candida_self_assessment_form.pdf to see if you may have a problem, and http://www.candidadiet.com/ for advice if you do. :smile:
really looking at your diet is the best thing you can do rather than anything the doctor can give you - although i don't know what the sachets are like - i found the antispasmodics (mebeverine and alverine citrate aka colofac and spasmanol) were rubbish. immodium when you need it - say when you're going out for the day or something is a good idea, although make sure you dont become dependent on it.
the best foods to eat are soluble fibre such as porridge oats. - havea look on google for some other soluble fibre. try and find out whether your stomach copes better with eating more fibre - some people find eating less fibre alleviates their symptoms - so white bread, white pasta might help rather than wholemeal. rice can be good too.
be extra careful with food hygeine as your stomachs sensitive anything can upset it. and try and talk to your boyfriend about it, that will probably help because worrying about needing the loo when you're around him is never gona be a good thing for your tummy coz of extra stress. it helped me and he doesnt mind talking about it. in return i listen to him talk about his dodgy stomach too hehe.
make sure you replace lost fluids by drinking enough water. calcium plus vit D tablets (just from superdrug or whatever) can help lots, you can try taking one with each meal, or i take them before bed when i need to, will help slow down the digestive tract although they can constipate you so dont take them if your bowel is behaving. indigestion pills for wind are good - try and find some without magnesium in them because magnesium speeds up the transit of food through the digestive tract.
you should go to the doctors about this first of all though - they will probably take blood and test it for over active thyroid, liver function, kidney function, and coeliac disease, along with a few other things. if this comes back as clear then ibs wil be diagnosed - they diagnose through elimination.
good luck x
Reply 19
I find that when i eat pizza it immediately takes effect, and pastries also seem to have an effect on me too. thank you for the advice guys. Im guna go the docs and sort it out, its just i felt like i was the only one with it and im envious of those who are regular!!
When i eat special K in the morning or drink tea, that usually makes me go too. do these sound like IBS trigger foods?

Latest

Trending

Trending