The Student Room Group

Anxiety is stopping me from joining the gym

I posted this in health because I wanted to make it anonymously.

I suffer from really bad anxiety in new situations and I really want to join the gym at my university, but I don't know anyone that goes there that I can lift with and I'm really scared of the free weight room in particular for some bizarre reason...

I guess i'm scared of going in there and looking like I don't know what i'm doing (although i've done a bit of compound lifting over the summer so I can lift with correct form etc.) and am also scared that I don't lift enough weight and will get looked down on, especially since it's a university gym so it's going to be lots of people my age there...

I'm not sure what to do- I keep meaning to just man up and join but the thought of it really scares me, and the idea of walking in there and not knowing where the equipment is, then going over and lifting makes me feel like everyone will be judging me...

i'm 155lbs and bench 140lbs 5x5, squat 160lbs 5x5, so I feel like I will look really out of place- there's even a "spotted" page for my university gym where people send in anonymous messages that are posted, which include mocking people for lifting light weights...
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I posted this in health because I wanted to make it anonymously.

I suffer from really bad anxiety in new situations and I really want to join the gym at my university, but I don't know anyone that goes there that I can lift with and I'm really scared of the free weight room in particular for some bizarre reason...

I guess i'm scared of going in there and looking like I don't know what i'm doing (although i've done a bit of compound lifting over the summer so I can lift with correct form etc.) and am also scared that I don't lift enough weight and will get looked down on, especially since it's a university gym so it's going to be lots of people my age there...

I'm not sure what to do- I keep meaning to just man up and join but the thought of it really scares me, and the idea of walking in there and not knowing where the equipment is, then going over and lifting makes me feel like everyone will be judging me...

i'm 155lbs and bench 140lbs 5x5, squat 160lbs 5x5, so I feel like I will look really out of place- there's even a "spotted" page for my university gym where people send in anonymous messages that are posted, which include mocking people for lifting light weights...

Just man up and get to the gym! No one cares a crap how much you're lifting.. people usually laugh at guys who are trying to lift way too heavy weights for them with horrible form. If you are using small weights with correct form, people will respect you for not trying to show off but actually doing something useful.

Don't worry about going alone either, I always go alone because I prefer to. When I go with someone I end up wasting time chit chatting instead of lifting.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere but the first thing is to get to the gym!

ps. our uni has a group like that too, but no one posts anything about people lifting small weights..

edit. also wanted to add, just ask for advice if you don't know how to use something! I've been lifting for over 5 years and am one of the biggest guys at our gym. I still ask people for advice - there's always new things to learn.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm usually too focused on my own weights to worry about what anyone else is doing to be honest... so anyone who does watch what you're doing is a little bitch who's not really there to lift and has nothing better to do :yep:
Reply 3
As with all anxiety situations i have two top dealing strategies.. They go like this..

1) whats the worst that could happen?

2) Just say to yourself,, no one is better than me. They all s**t like the rest of us. Works wonders...
Original post by Gax
I'm usually too focused on my own weights to worry about what anyone else is doing

OP,take note.

Which is the same for 99.9% of people that are working out.
Everyone starts somewhere. Your bench and squat aren't too light either. Your squat is probably above average for the male gym-goer, srs.
Reply 6
Who cares how much you lift?

I don't lift as much as some of my mates, but I don't care because I'm a bodybuilder not a weightlifter
why don't you go there on your own and try and befriend someone tell them your past experience with lifting and they can help you out so you won't appear to look like you don't know what your doing because your facing that fear and also you will be too busy talking to think of anyone else's viewpoint, i know its easier said than done believe me but you've gotta just go for it otherwise you will keep holding yourself back, jump out of the comfort zone!
Reply 8
I used to be exactly like this. I even posted a thread on here about it. If you can, just try to remember that nobody is there to look at what everyone else is doing, they are there for their own workout, and so won't be too concerned with what you're doing. Also you could maybe choose another gym? I found my campus gym too small and intimidating, so I went to one in town, that feels more open. Just whatever you do don't give up on going to the gym.
Reply 9
I get stared at the gym all the time which is really annoying but I've learnt to block it out with time. Who dares wins! xp
Reply 10
Try to stop thinking about anxiety and start to think about gymnastics.

Quick Reply

Latest