The Student Room Group

Can I do nine modules for AS instead of six?

So I'm taking further maths, and this is what I'm planning to do at the end of the year: C1, C2, FP1, FP2, M1, S1. BUT I self-study FP1 and FP2, and I've found them easy, and I'm sure by the end of this trimester I'll finish FP2 (i've already done fp1). I want to do C3, C4 and FP3 this year as well. C3 and C4 are extremely easy and FP3 is easier than FP2. I am SURE I could get A's on all of them! But is that something allowed by the exam board? It's Edexcel btw.
Original post by gagafacea1
So I'm taking further maths, and this is what I'm planning to do at the end of the year: C1, C2, FP1, FP2, M1, S1. BUT I self-study FP1 and FP2, and I've found them easy, and I'm sure by the end of this trimester I'll finish FP2 (i've already done fp1). I want to do C3, C4 and FP3 this year as well. C3 and C4 are extremely easy and FP3 is easier than FP2. I am SURE I could get A's on all of them! But is that something allowed by the exam board? It's Edexcel btw.

If you did that, you'd have a full A2 in Maths and an AS in Further Maths.
Original post by Chlorophile
If you did that, you'd have a full A2 in Maths and an AS in Further Maths.

WOW really? So it IS a thing! That would be so cool! But I think I might have to beg my teacher to let me do it...
WOW really? So it IS a thing! That would be so cool! But I think I might have to beg my teacher to let me do it...

You might want to check that it works though. The problem is that I think you need to have FP2 or FP3 as part of A2 Further Maths, so you could potentially have a problem by 'using them up' for AS Further Maths and A2 Maths. But in principle, you definitely can do 9 modules in Year 12. Just please make sure you're only doing 9 if you're certain it won't harm your grades. Top marks in 6 modules looks better than lightly lower marks in 9.
Reply 4

you can do any number of modules within a year ...

What and how you can cash them (certification) is a different question.

I am assuming you will be doing more modules the following year so it would not matter at the end.

I taught a student 2 years ago

First year: C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2,M1,M2
second year: FP1,FP2,FP3,S3,M3,M4,M5 (Plus old M6, without taking exam + some elementary undergrad methods)

He certified at the end MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, plus an AS in ADDITIONAL FURTHER MATHS
Original post by Chlorophile
You might want to check that it works though. The problem is that I think you need to have FP2 or FP3 as part of A2 Further Maths, so you could potentially have a problem by 'using them up' for AS Further Maths and A2 Maths. But in principle, you definitely can do 9 modules in Year 12. Just please make sure you're only doing 9 if you're certain it won't harm your grades. Top marks in 6 modules looks better than lightly lower marks in 9.

tbh, I could do C1, C2, C3 and FP1 blindfolded, so I'm sure I will get A's on those; and with a little bit of studying I could do the rest. The only two I'm worried about (just a little bit) are M1 and S1.
Original post by TeeEm
you can do any number of modules within a year ...

What and how you can cash them (certification) is a different question.

I am assuming you will be doing more modules the following year so it would not matter at the end.

I taught a student 2 years ago

First year: C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2,M1,M2
second year: FP1,FP2,FP3,S3,M3,M4,M5 (Plus old M6, without taking exam + some elementary undergrad methods)

He certified at the end MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, plus an AS in ADDITIONAL FURTHER MATHS

This is what I was thinking:
1st year: C1-4, FP1-3, M1, M2
2nd year: M2-5, S2-4
I'm not really sure about the decisions modules, but I'd rather skip them tbh.

Good idea.
Reply 8

then you will have a spare module which you cannot cash.
Original post by TeeEm
then you will have a spare module which you cannot cash.

Great, I could skip S4!
Reply 10
Great, I could skip S4!

I guess you could.

However I would still advice to cover it without sitting an exam, straight after your S3, because It cover some very useful material such as the t-distribution
Original post by TeeEm
I guess you could.

However I would still advice to cover it without sitting an exam, straight after your S3, because It cover some very useful material such as the t-distribution

Oh wait, what if I do s4 with d1 and 2? could I cash that?
Reply 12
Oh wait, what if I do s4 with d1 and 2? could I cash that?

that is a total of 18 modules.

very few people try this "grand slam"

you can then cash

MATHS
FURTHER MATHS
ADDITIONAL FURTHER MATHS

3 full A levels.
Original post by TeeEm
that is a total of 18 modules.

very few people try this "grand slam"

you can then cash

MATHS
FURTHER MATHS
ADDITIONAL FURTHER MATHS

3 full A levels.

That would be very possible, if I don't finish chemistry and biology next year (I'm doing chem, bio and physics AS). I would LOVE to have this "grand slam" on my résumé tbh.
Reply 14
That would be very possible, if I don't finish chemistry and biology next year (I'm doing chem, bio and physics AS). I would LOVE to have this "grand slam" on my résumé tbh.

hope you are succesful
:smile:
Original post by TeeEm
hope you are succesful
:smile:

Thanks for the help! :smile:

If you are considering 3 Maths + Physics that would not be a very good selection most people have 2 A Levels plus their maths
Original post by TenOfThem
If you are considering 3 Maths + Physics that would not be a very good selection most people have 2 A Levels plus their maths

I don't know, but if cambridge is ok with math, further and physics, why would others unis be not?
Reply 18
I don't know, but if cambridge is ok with math, further and physics, why would others unis be not?

Two points:

firstly, unis aren't like schools where they basically all try to deliver essentially the same 'product' in the same way - different unis can set different admissions criteria that may not seem to be terribly logical or consistent, and Cambridge - as a top uni - can be flexible in what it asks for given that it focuses very much on mathematical ability and nothing else (extra-curriculars etc).

secondly, if you're moving exams around or doing anything that may seem to be reducing your A level workload, you should also be aware that many of the top unis like to see evidence that you can cope with at least 3 full A levels or more concurrently as preparation for the sort of workload you will encounter at university.

Personally, I would have no problem at all letting someone with exceptional performance in Maths, FM and Physics onto a Maths degree, but you really need to do a bit of digging and check with some individual unis that they would be happy with your combination of subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest