The Student Room Group

Why do people fight over football?

I dont get the logic behind it.

I 'support' a team that wears red. You 'support' a team that wear blue.

Therefore there may come a point where a physical altercation happens.

It's just pathetic.

what do these people actually have to gain or lose? its watching 22 grown men kick a ball around a field. Unless they are shareholders in the actual football club, they have nothing to gain or lose whatever the match outcome (unless they have betted on the game too).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2821563/Football-hooligans-throw-bottles-flares-dozens-clash-street-outside-pub-Manchester-derby.html

I mean why? just why?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snitching kermit

I mean why? just why?

I'm not telling you. You will snitch.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm not telling you. You will snitch.

strong banter is strong.
strong banter is strong.

uwot m8 do you want some
Because they are pond life.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
uwot m8 do you want some

Let me break it down.

For me to want some, it would have to regard a matter of sufficient importance and proximity to my everyday life, for example if you kicked my cat across the road, I might be inclined to want some; but not for matters such as this which are so arbitrary and unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
If you actually think it's over the result of the match being played then you KFA. It rarely has anything to do with that.

If Galatasaray went to Elland Road for example it would kick off good and proper and it has nothing to do with who wins the match.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Because they are pond life.

This essentially.

Should there be some sort of ban/ restriction on football, in light of the social evils it creates?

Should the government be doing more to help those from underprivileged backgrounds to create more opportunities so they dont have to fight over men kicking a ball?
Original post by Wilfred Little

If Galatasaray went to Elland Road for example it would kick off good and proper and it has nothing to do with who wins the match.

Yeah ok. But why then?
Let me break it down.

For me to want some, it would have to regard a matter of sufficient importance and proximity to my everyday life, for example if you kicked my cat across the road, I might be inclined to want some; but not for matters such as this which are so arbitrary and unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

You've got no fans. No +reps. If you want some I give it to you. #Football fan.

In all seriousness I have no idea why people fight over football. A gang of italians jumped on a guy after a game once and I still feel sickened by it. Some people just want to vent their frustration, and often football gets their blood up. No excuse though.
It's just pathetic.

what do these people actually have to gain or lose?
they have nothing to gain or lose whatever the match outcome

I mean why? just why?
The outcome has little bearing on the passion of the supporters.
The rivalry has been recognised as more akin to tribalism.

And please don;t use that awful phrase of 'grown men kicking etc...'
it really makes YOU sound pathetic

I 'support' a team that wears red. You 'support' a team that wear blue.

Therefore there may come a point where a physical altercation happens.

It's just pathetic.

what do these people actually have to gain or lose? its watching 22 grown men kick a ball around a field. Unless they are shareholders in the actual football club, they have nothing to gain or lose whatever the match outcome (unless they have betted on the game too).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2821563/Football-hooligans-throw-bottles-flares-dozens-clash-street-outside-pub-Manchester-derby.html

I mean why? just why?

because to a large extent, that is what football is for. Its a tribal sport and always has been. Its the only sport in the entire world that I'm aware of that still has to have segregated seating for different fans.
Yeah ok. But why then?

Why would Leeds kick off? Because Galatasaray murdered two of their fans in 2000. The people who would look for a scrap wouldn't care about the result, it would be about revenge. Same with MU and Roma in 2007 after their fans got filled in by Italian police so they pasted some Italians in the home leg (MU won this match 7-1 btw). Same with Juventus and Liverpool.

The chances are when this sort of violence happens, the clubs involved have a long history of hatred or something has gone on previously.

Has nothing to do with 22 men kicking a ball round some grass as you put it. I can't think of many occasions where a team lost to someone they have no history of bad blood with and then decided to look for a tear up after the match because they were angry about losing.

Then there are clubs like Blues who are just animals.
Why would Leeds kick off? Because Galatasaray murdered two of their fans in 2000. The people who would look for a scrap wouldn't care about the result, it would be about revenge. Same with MU and Roma in 2007 after their fans got filled in by Italian police so they pasted some Italians in the home leg (MU won this match 7-1 btw). Same with Juventus and Liverpool.

The chances are when this sort of violence happens, the clubs involved have a long history of hatred or something has gone on previously.

Has nothing to do with 22 men kicking a ball round some grass as you put it. I can't think of many occasions where a team lost to someone they have no history of bad blood with and then decided to look for a tear up after the match because they were angry about losing.

Then there are clubs like Blues who are just animals.

is it just a case of frustrated grown men, with little going on in their lives, seeking a kick at the weekend, and it makes them feel like some kind of outlaw in the wild west so to speak.

You bring up these past events, but the corporate fans, who have careers and better things in their lives, couldn't care less.

Also what do these fans get out of these altercations?
You pay the football clubs money (lots of it too in this country) for a season ticket, and tickets. You are just a customer to them. And yet fans feel like they owe their club something and the need to represent them?

Everytime I walk into Tesco I dont go harass those at Asda for being Asda ****ers later. I have paid for my goods, I have got my goods, I owe nothing to Tesco. Yet if I was a shareholder, I would naturally want people to shop at Tesco, and recommend it etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hahahaha at ALL of you who think it has ANYTHING to do with football.

Trust me, I've been on that side of the fence and I know that the football has little to no bearing on it. You get two gangs of angry young men, who have no positivity to look forward to in their lives and who have become disaffected with society/government and they've got a reason to fight, by jove they'll scrap!

If football didn't exist, I'm sure these groups will find other reasons, such as fashion sense (see Mods vs Rockers) or "Territory" (see US Gangs in 80's)
is it just a case of frustrated grown men, with little going on in their lives, seeking a kick at the weekend, and it makes them feel like some kind of outlaw in the wild west so to speak.

You bring up these past events, but the corporate fans, who have careers and better things in their lives, couldn't care less.

Yes it is for many. But you said:

its watching 22 grown men kick a ball around a field

I was just pointing out this is wrong, they aren't fighting over the result.
Yes it is for many. But you said:

I see.

Another point I wanted to raise, was what is the justification in the existence of football clubs?

The majority of clubs in this country consistently post losses every year. They may receive huge revenues from shirt sales, gate sales, TV deals, sponsorship etc., but ultimately if they are not making a profit, why do the owners persist?
Original post by WeedCanKill
Hahahaha at ALL of you who think it has ANYTHING to do with football.

Trust me, I've been on that side of the fence and I know that the football has little to no bearing on it. You get two gangs of angry young men, who have no positivity to look forward to in their lives and who have become disaffected with society/government and they've got a reason to fight, by jove they'll scrap!

If football didn't exist, I'm sure these groups will find other reasons, such as fashion sense (see Mods vs Rockers) or "Territory" (see US Gangs in 80's)

You're right.

I would go as far as to say that the causality is reversed from how most people understand it. It is not the football that causes the hooliganism and hatred, it is the hooliganism and hatred that makes football so much more popular than all the other less tribal sports.

Violence, hatred, segregation, identity, and football are intrinsically linked, they have grown together over the past 100 years.

There is no reason it is football that has become so intrinsic to the sense of self-identity of the disengaged young hoodlum, it could be anything. It could be tiddlywinks, and then we'd have tiddlywink fans murdering each other and everyone going to the pub to drink and watch tiddlywink "super Sundays" and look for someone wearing the wrong colours to beat up.

People don't fight over the result of football, footballers play for people to have something to fight about.
Original post by cole-slaw
You're right.

I would go as far as to say that the causality is reversed from how most people understand it. It is not the football that causes the hooliganism and hatred, it is the hooliganism and hatred that makes football so much more popular than all the other less tribal sports.

Violence, hatred, segregation, identity, and football are intrinsically linked, they have grown together over the past 100 years.

There is no reason it is football that has become so intrinsic to the sense of self-identity of the disengaged young hoodlum, it could be anything. It could be tiddlywinks, and then we'd have tiddlywink fans murdering each other and everyone going to the pub to drink and watch tiddlywink "super Sundays" and look for someone wearing the wrong colours to beat up.

But its not just the hooligans.

I facepalmed as I was watching Take Me Out and this guy was cooking dinner for this 7/10 lady, and he was a United fan, and when he found out she was a Liverpool he was like 'oh this cant work, a united fan cant date a liverpool fan lol #bants' and she was like 'erm what m8 its just a game, Im not gunna let it affect my personal relationships'

Quick Reply

Latest