The Student Room Group

SATs? IELTS?

my school last year and some people this week have been talking about applying for different exams so that we can be eligible for uni applications...There's lots of conflicting information and in particular people told me to worry about it later but some say prepare as fast as you can because I won't have time later...

I'm only in my first year of IB, started this Sept...do I have to start taking SATs or whatever? apparently you need lots of different kinds of extra tests beside the IB itself and i'm just really confused...

(also, isn't the SAT the american equivalent for IB or a-levels? won't that be very hard and time consuming if I did both?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by LeviosaNight
my school last year and some people this week have been talking about applying for different exams so that we can be eligible for uni applications...There's lots of conflicting information and in particular people told me to worry about it later but some say prepare as fast as you can because I won't have time later...

I'm only in my first year of IB, started this Sept...do I have to start taking SATs or whatever? apparently you need lots of different kinds of extra tests beside the IB itself and i'm just really confused...

(also, isn't the SAT the american equivalent for IB or a-levels? won't that be very hard and time consuming if I did both?)

If you want to apply to the US then you'll definitely need to take the SAT I and depending on the university 2-3 SAT II subject tests. I'd recommend studying/taking these SAT exams as soon as possible so everything doesn't clash with your uni applications etc next year.

And no, SAT I is NOT equivalent to IB. It merely tests maths, reading comprehension/vocab & grammar. The critical reading & grammar sections are pretty hard and require a lot of effort to do well in but if you're good at maths and did well in GCSE maths then the maths sections should be easy! One the other hand, SAT II subject tests are the equivalent of some IB subjects (in terms of content). For example, maths Level 2 tests you on everything you learn in SL Maths except for Calculus. The biology/chemistry/physics ones also tests you on content similar to their IB counterparts. Take the SAT II tests later on in the year so you've got more knowledge = higher score.

Yep, it will be time consuming but you've got no other option as it's required by American universities for ALL applicants, regardless. That's is why you should start preparing now so that you can get everything done and dusted quicker.

You need to do IELTS to demonstrate that you are proficient in English. That is about all I know about that test but do make sure that you actually need to do it. If you've been going to a english medium school for a long time chances are you won't be asked to take the test. But don't take my word on this.
oh~ so they actually look at my SAT scores instead of my IB scores?
Reply 3
Original post by LeviosaNight
oh~ so they actually look at my SAT scores instead of my IB scores?

No, they'll look at both your SAT and IB predicted score (+ your internal IB grades, so semester 1 & 2 grades of Grade 11 as well as semester 1 of Grade 12 grades). If your school uses the GPA system then they'll also be looking at that.
oh I see...thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest