The Student Room Group

Advanced Apprenticeship vs Engineering Degree

I'm currently an AS level student planning to finish AS, A2 then go into mechanical engineering. I wanna work in mechanical engineering and the dream would be in Motorsport. So I've narrowed my options down to 2 after a levels: go to Uni and get a degree, then do the norm and find a job/graduate training program or find an advanced apprenticeship when I'm 18, most have a guaranteed job at the end of it?

I really can't work out which would be more beneficial for me: apprenticeship or degree? Most places I've seen offer fairly high level qualifications after your apprenticeship, JLR sometimes offer sponsored BEng if they believe you are able. However the entry requirements are fairly low for apprenticeships and I don't know if at the moment apprenticeships are viewed at the same level as degrees (the course I'm looking at is MEng/BEng).

Someone must have had a similar discussion not so long ago, so I'm just looking for experienced opinions?

At the moment I'm studying 4 A Levels: Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry, and depending on how this first year goes I may or may not drop chemistry.

So yeah any experienced opinions would be much appreciated, cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending