The Student Room Group

Feminists shame men into brutal wars and lobbying for involuntary drafts

In August 1914, at the start of the First World War, Admiral Charles Fitzgerald founded the Order of the White Feather with support from the prominent author Mrs Humphrey Ward. The organization aimed to shame men into enlisting in the British Army by persuading women to present them with a white feather if they were not wearing a uniform.[2][3]This was joined by prominent feminists and suffragettes of the time, such as Emmeline Pankhurst and her daughter Christabel. They, in addition to handing out the feathers, also lobbied to institute an involuntary draft of men, including those who lacked votes due to being too young or not owning property.
For some reason my account was banned and my thread removed so I made one again. I'm just wanting to know how modern feminists feel about all of this?
You conveniently left out the words '100 years ago' from your title. Since then feminists have actively campaigned against the draft, such as during the war in Vietnam.
Original post by Captain Haddock
You conveniently left out the words '100 years ago' from your title. Since then feminists have actively campaigned against the draft, such as during the war in Vietnam.

Also worth noting that plenty did even 100 years ago as well. And notably, the pro-war feminists were generally the conservative ones - who also made a pact with the government to stop feminist campaigning for the course of the war. The more militant feminists like Sylvia Pankhurst, Emma Goldman, Kate Richards O'Hare, etc were committed opponents of both conscription and the war.
Reply 3
I cringe at allegations such as the op's since they portray feminists as monolithic, in spite of the nuances that are now present. A 3rd wave intersectionalist feminist would have very little in common with the more Conservative and rightist leanings of many present during World War One.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending