The Student Room Group

Clinical elective VS Research programme! I need your opinion!! :)

Poll

Which is the best option?

Hey guys! I am new to this forum so first of all, let me introduce myself! My name is Carlota and I am from Madrid, where I am currently studying my 4th year of Medical school. I am planning on doing some kind of elective or internship related to medicine next summer but I am really doubting about what ti do!! After having spent too much time overthinking about this, I've decided to post it here to know your opinions and recommendations!

Well, the thing is that I really love medical research and, in my Uni and most Spanish medical schools, we don't normally get to participate in research as students, because there are very little research opportunities and, of course, it's the most experienced doctors who do that! So, on the one hand I was considering on applying for a research scholarship (the programme I was considering can be done in Cambridge Uni or at the Pasteur Institute in Paris + a symposium in Cambridge at the end of the summer).

But, on the other hand, I also like clinical work and dealing with people and stuff. So, I was worried that the research internship could be "too scientific" for a med student and more useful for basic sciences students. So, I was also considering applying for a clinical elective in some hospital in the UK, so that I can get an insight in how the NHS works and how doctors work there!

And my third possibility was doing some kind of volunteering in a developing country! We don't have in Spain this kind of final year electives you have in the Uk when you can do your final rotations abroad, so if I want to do something "extra" I need to do it in summer!

So, from your point of view, which is the best option? What would you do? Please, feel free to comment anything because I am really a mess and don't know what to do!!

Thanks!! And sorry for the long post :smile:
Reply 1
Also, what is the best option to boost my CV for future jobs applications and to apply for the Foundation Programme in the UK??? Thanks!!! :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
I would do the research internship. I don't think the Foundation Programme takes into consideration electives anyways (they should if they don't).
Reply 3
Original post by Okorange
I would do the research internship. I don't think the Foundation Programme takes into consideration electives anyways (they should if they don't).

Thanks for your answer! I really need to make a decision in the next weeks so I wanted to choose something that I like but also useful for my future!
Hi Carlota92
Actually i'm ni the same situation ; i've sent some emails for some hospitals in London
I'll be pleased to hear your news ; you can add me on fb : Hamza Benson

Quick Reply

Latest