The Student Room Group

16 and still never had a boyfriend?

I'm 16 and I've never had a boyfriend - i go to an all girls school and don't even know any boys. Most of my friends are starting to get boyfriends, and are considering having sex. I just find the thought of dating awkward, let alone kissing or sex. I'm worried that if I get to uni and have absolutely no dating experience then guys are going to be put off dating me. Is this true? How many people would you guess go to uni with no experience? And guys, would you date someone who's still a complete beginner when it comes to dating at the age of 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm 16 and never had a girlfriend so Its alright I guess. I live in London what about you?
Don't worry OP.
You're 16, you have time, enjoy the moments of life.
Dating is just.. a waste of time.
That's really a non-issue.
And possibly the 100th or so "[insert age here] and I've never had a [partner]" thread I've seen. :yawn:
I had a "boyfriend" when I was 16, but it was just a childish relationship that didn't really go anywhere. Then I had a long dry spell, and wasn't until I was 21 that I got my first proper boyfriend, so I may as well have been a beginner by then, but it never bothered my guy. A lot of people start all this dating stuff a lot later then you might think, so don't worry about it, your time will come :smile:
Probably for the best. Relationships at that age, are just not a good idea. Not all the time but most of the time they arn't. You rush into things, you date someone you think is "the one" but then they arn't and they don't feel the same way as you do. It's just messy and painfull.

So in other words, it's a blessing. I'm 18, only had one relationship and I really wish I hadnt. Take your time, don't rush. If that is the only thing that you learn from this thread, you will be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
You're 16 not 30.

Your friends are slags, they think they're cool but guys are just using them for sex. They will most likely end up being single mums.
Reply 7
Don't worry about it, that's young. It's perfectly normal to go through school and college without a relationship. I'd hazard a guess and say that most relationships worth their time are first formed at university, so don't worry yourself about it :smile:
You're not the only one i never had bf too and i am 16 forever alone :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by LoveChristian
You're not the only one i never had bf too and i am 16 forever alone :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

16 is young. I am sure you won't be alone forever.

I notice your location is Newcastle upon Tyne.
Reply 11
Original post by nmnorgan305
I'm 16 and I've never had a boyfriend - i go to an all girls school and don't even know any boys. Most of my friends are starting to get boyfriends, and are considering having sex. I just find the thought of dating awkward, let alone kissing or sex. I'm worried that if I get to uni and have absolutely no dating experience then guys are going to be put off dating me. Is this true? How many people would you guess go to uni with no experience? And guys, would you date someone who's still a complete beginner when it comes to dating at the age of 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My current fiancee was in a similar situation as you. All girls' school, feeling awkward about relationships and such. I, on the other hand, went to a performing art school (75% girls, half the men were gay). We met in our mid 20's when I had plenty of dating experience but she had not. In fact, I was her first real boyfriend! But I didn't mind that she lacked dating experience - it wasn't that I was looking for someone "innocent", but rather because I really liked who she was, so I did not mind it at all.

After all, (1) don't mind the peer pressure, be yourself. If you try so hard to get a boyfriend and such, the chances are, you'll meet someone terrible. (2) seriously, listen to the others here - just enjoy life as it is at the moment. The time of your life right now is perhaps the most precious time of anyone's life (when you become my age or older, you'll realise). Make lots of friends, don't worry about dating, just do whatever tickles your fancy.
Original post by nmnorgan305

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 17 about to turn 18 and i've never had a girlfriend plus i'm english living in america surprise
Reply 13
Don't worry. I'm turning 15 in a few days and I've never had one either.
I think dating is a waste of time, especially at this age because you're either going to end up getting married, which is highly unlikely or breaking up, which is a complete waste of time and emotions.
Reply 14
#firstworldproblems

You've literally only just been granted the legality to have sex. You don't even have to worry about this for at least another 10 years, if even then.
(edited 9 years ago)
the whole dating thing before uni is *largely* just playful and not going to go anywhere - my relationship is one of very very few that has made it to week... 7 of uni? most broke up within the first fortnight

the thing is , you're young and it is unlikely that you're going to meet your ideal partner at 16 , or that they have developed enough for you to realise it at that age. maybe a childhood sweetheart will become ideal - it's all about development

don't worry about what everyone else is doing , the majority of my friends haven't had serious partners and tbh , up until around six months ago , the majority were virgins. look after yourself and what you want , and make sure you're happy , and there's nothing else to worry about
Seriously 16 is nothing, I doubt any decent guy would care if you're 18 & have no prior experience. If you want a relationship then it should be when you personally feel like you are ready to be in one & not because of trying to fit in or anything.
Reply 17
You shouldn't need to date because of peer pressure. Do it when you're ready.
im 16 too and ive never had a boyfriend. I go to an all girls school. Just wait until you are ready for the right guy.
Reply 19
I went out with couple of guys (only dated them for a week or two and didn't go any further than kissing) when I was 17-18 but I didn't get my first proper boyfriend until I was 19. I also remember thinking that I was behind others my age; but as I got older and started mixing with a wider range of people I realised that entering into your first relationship during your late teens/early 20s was more common than I previously believed,

Quick Reply