The Student Room Group

Is it OK to do an A-Level subject that you don't enjoy?

I am planning to do four A-levels (to start off with at least). I am considering taking Maths as one of them as it is very well respected and goes well with my other subjects. The only problem is I really don't like Maths. I have heard a lot of people say things like "do what you enjoy (for A-Level)" however I think surely you should do what you're good at and will get you far. Does it matter if you dislike one of your subjects as long as you are motivated enough to grit your teeth and get on with the work?
Reply 1
Original post by TheEccentric
I am planning to do four A-levels (to start off with at least). I am considering taking Maths as one of them as it is very well respected and goes well with my other subjects. The only problem is I really don't like Maths. I have heard a lot of people say things like "do what you enjoy (for A-Level)" however I think surely you should do what you're good at and will get you far. Does it matter if you dislike one of your subjects as long as you are motivated enough to grit your teeth and get on with the work?

what are your other subjects? if you're planning to become a medic/dentist/vet and are doing science subjects i'd recommend doing maths. otherwise, don't bother. a-level is work, you may not think it at first but it builds up and when you've got 4 past papers to hand in tomorrow and it's the night before and you never want to see the word differentiate ever again, you're going to regret the decision

If you are good at the subject i don't see why not, if you ask me though I would not do Maths since i know the struggles my friends have had in AS/A2. I would go for a subject that not only you can see yourself doing in at uni but perhaps a easy a level to get a high grade? do whatever you feel confident in at the end of the day.
Original post by blubear
what are your other subjects? if you're planning to become a medic/dentist/vet and are doing science subjects i'd recommend doing maths. otherwise, don't bother. a-level is work, you may not think it at first but it builds up and when you've got 4 past papers to hand in tomorrow and it's the night before and you never want to see the word differentiate ever again, you're going to regret the decision

The subjects I am sure I want to do are Biology, Chemistry and History. However for my fourth subject I am unsure whether to do Maths or Spanish.

of course it doesn't matter whether you enjoy it or not, as long as
you study hard and put the effort in you will get a good grade.
If you're not good at it, then don't do it because it'll just be torture and you'll end up dropping it. If you ARE good, then maybe try it for a few weeks and see how it goes, if you don't like it you can drop it. If you're still unsure, I would go for the one that will get you a high grade.
Reply 6
The subjects I am sure I want to do are Biology, Chemistry and History. However for my fourth subject I am unsure whether to do Maths or Spanish.

DO SPANISH, you have no idea the perks you can get if you are bilingual or at least know another language. And if you don't like maths....
Reply 7
With A levels its the case of whether you'll be willing to put the effort in for that subject tbh
It's about getting the balance between what you're good at and what you enjoy.

If you're a mathematical genius who is getting 100% on GCSE papers with no effort whatsoever, and Spanish makes you want to cry whenever you think about it because it's so difficult, then Maths is your best bet.

However, if you're only marginally better at Maths than Spanish, and you actually really enjoy Spanish, then go for Spanish. It's really hard to concentrate in a lesson you don't like.

Quick Reply

Latest